Pre-match thread

NulliSecundus

The only players to do themselves any justice last night were Sanchez Grealish Gil Veretout Adama Sinclair.

I'd go for

Bunn

Bacuna Richards Clark Amavi

Westwood Gueye

Gil Grealish Sinclair

Rudy

We will have a lot of the ball as long as we don't get caught on the counter we'll win comfortably.

I know we usually get something when we play them, but I feel like our defence is going to leak goals to Defoe. Can just feel it. If Gabby starts, I'm going to be annoyed.

Edited by Daniel

The only players to do themselves any justice last night were Sanchez Grealish Gil Veretout Adama Sinclair.

I'd go for

Bunn

Westwood Gueye

Gil Grealish Sinclair

Rudy

We will have a lot of the ball as long as we don't get caught on the counter we'll win comfortably.

So by that logic Bunn did himself not justice last night, but you'd drop Guzan to bring him in anyway? 

I'd go for

Bunn

Westwood Gueye

Gil Grealish Sinclair

Rudy

So by that logic Bunn did himself not justice last night, but you'd drop Guzan to bring him in anyway?

Bunn didn't do anything wrong but he wasn't under that much pressure really. He only had a couple of things to do but I think Guzan is looking shaky so I'd give him the start. Fair play to you for trying to pick holes in it but you may have noticed not all the players I think did well got in.

I see what you're saying but for the sake of the greater good I'd rather he not start. Maybe bring him on as a dose of pace late on when O'Shea's legs are knackered.

I don't think Bacuna is necessarily one of the first names on the sheet.  He was the weak link against Palace and depending on what Hutton did last night, he could get the nod.

For me it's the following, taking last night into account*.

Guzan

Hutton   Richards   Clark    Amavi

Westwood   Sanchez

Gana

Grealish       Sinclair

Gestede

* by which I mean Sinclair's hat-trick

Thin the only reason he would be is as Hutton played 120 mins on Tuesday. Suppose he (Hutton) is no less likely to play than Sinclair though. Either way, options :thumb:

Don't think Adama will be fit, and it sounds as though Sanchez was out on his arse at the end of the game, so I'm not sure he starts. Against Sunderland, you'd hope we could manage without him if he's tired. So, on that basis:

Guzan

Westwood

Veretout             Gana

Grealish

Gestede  Sinclair

Gabby has an excellent record against Sunderland doesn't he? I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start tbh.

Edit:

Just looked, the last six times we've played them there have been two 0-0s, in every other game Gabby has scored including the only goal in two 1-0 wins, no wonder they seem to hate him so much :lol:

Edited by penguin

I think the back five are easy enough:

------------------------Guzan---------------------------

Bacuna---------Richards-------Clark-----------Amavi

then things get tricky.

For starters, we need to decide whether to have two or three in the middle.

Personally I prefer three - so that's three from:

Gana

Westwood

Veretout

Sanchez

I'm not sure the manager prefers three though, I suspect if he does, then we'd have more than four plus Gardener in the squad.

If it's three, then I'd go with 

---------------Sanchez----------Westwood----------------

--------------------------Gana-------------------------------

I think that leaves us nice and solid and lets the front players get on with things. I'd prefer Veretout to Sanchez, but I really feel he ran himself into the ground on Tuesday and could do with the break.

If it's two, then it's 4-2-3-1 and I think I'd stick with Gana and Westwood.

We've then got two options that go with the three - either a number 10 behind two strikers, or two wingers and a man up front.

If we go with the number 10 option, then that player has to be Grealish - I'm not sure he's got ninety minutes in his legs after County, so I'd have Gil on the bench to cover of him or finish the game off (or if we're ahead, Veretout to firm things up)

The flanks are where things get very tricky.

On the right, you can take your pick from Gil, Sinclair, N'Zogbia, Ayew, or the player I'd really like to see out there, Traore. I don't think Traore will be ready to start, either through injury or the managers nerves and this makes this a difficult position. Ayew is probably the best fit of those available, but he's not looking like he's ready for the English game. I'd take a risk and put Gabby or Sinclair out there, even though it's their wrong side.

On the left, you can pick from Grealish, Gabby, Sinclair or Ayew again. I think that with Traore unlikely to start, we'll see the other one of Gabby or Sinclair. Which means Gabby starts - I think if Traore makes it, he starts on the right, Sinclair on the left and Gabby sits on the bench.

If we're playing with one up front, it's be Gestede I'd assume (although Kozak looked as good an option against County) and if we're playing with two it'd be Gestede and one from Sinclair, Gabby and Ayew - on current form, you'd expect that to be Sinclair.

So for me:

---------------Sanchez----------Westwood------------
--------------------------Gana---------------------------

Agbonlahor--------------------------------------Sinclair

------------------------Gestede-------------------------

with a bench of Bunn, Baker, Cole, Hutton, Veretout, Ayew and Gil (maybe Kozak instead of Gil or Cole)

But I suspect from the manager:

-----------------Gana----------Westwood-------------

Agbonlahor-----------Grealish------------------Sinclair
------------------------Gestede-------------------------

Or

---------------Sanchez----------Westwood------------
--------------------------Gana---------------------------

------------------------Grealish-------------------------

--------------Gestede------------Sinclair---------------

keeper.png
Guzan
home.png
Bacuna
home.png
Richards
home.png
Clark
home.png
Amavi
home.png
Gana
home.png
Gil
home.png
Veretout
home.png
Grealish
home.png
Sinclair
home.png
Gestede

Win 7-1 as G is the 7th letter of the alphabet   :flag:

They score within the first five minutes.

Gestede gets a hat-trick, Grealish, Gana and Gil all chip in with one ending with Guzan coming up for a corner in the 89th minute to head one home, 

Plus, Sanchez comes off the bench to continue his improving form.

Edited by 8pints
  • Like 1

Watching their goals midweek is is very noticeable how little marking is going on when they defend.

You would have to assume they will be more switched on for a Premier League game but I think Rudy must have watched that licking his lips.

• Like 1

Guzan

Hutton---Clark---Richards---Amavi

----------Westwood---Gana----------

Traore-------Vertout------Grealish

------------------Sinclair-----------------

Harsh on Gil but I think Veretout offers a bit more steel. 

If Traore doesn't make it I'd switch Sinclair to the right and have Gastede up top, if Traore does make it I think it's important to play Hutton at RB, a right side of Traore and Bacuna would worry me from a defensive point of view.