• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

I think Baunca was poor on ball as amavi in pass in our half as baunca did pass direct palace to attack us quick. lucky not get score.., and amavi should do better in these solution. still, he is cost our goal.. it is will never happen if we add centre midfield to stop that happen.. that why i suggest go buy RIGHT BACK ! and Striker who can pass and bring attack same time can use header and use pace, finish use feet. 

I think we should try Ayew as lone striker rather Rudy and Gabby so Ayew free to do his own stuff without gabby mess around...

i think Sherwood try play 442 for play rudy and Gabby their strength it is not work! and cost our second half

our actually strength is pass and creative, and capacity break through defence without cross.. we can cross really good beside corner cos rudy is threat in aerial. 433 and 4231, 4312,

or try "no-Striker style" just full flow style bit like barc (minus taki-tiki and without striker) still mixed of possiesson and dribble by creative player. .

--------------------Guzan-------------------------
new RB----Richards---Clark----Amavi--
------Veretout--Westwood--Gana------
-------Grealish---Adama---Gil--------

Gabby and Rudy was very very poor today.. 

for me Sanchez and Grealish was my MOTM. 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84

Felt sorry for Gestede. Yes he is great in the air but if you remove the element of surprise by just lumping it up there and hoping he'll somehow out jump two defenders and score with a 20 yard header you're going to have a hard time. Funnily enough he was no worse than Benteke used to be in such circumstances.

• Like 3

Things I noted from watching the game.

• Bacuna looks like a midfielder trying to play full back. Continually gets caught high up the pitch and lets players in behind. Alan "I'm going to break your leg with a knee high tackle" surely must be a better option
  • We look very shakey defensively. Richards and Clark get caught out of position way too often and there's far too big a gap between them too often.
  • Sanchez needs an hour to pass a ball. The poor tempo he played at when we were on the ball seemed to be infectious.
  • Grealish can really spot a pass. Some of his through balls are sublime.
  • Gestede is a one trick pony and it'll be interesting to see if that trick can work at this level. So far it looks like it may not.
  • Gabby was shockingly bad. Really terrible.
  • Traore will get people out of their seats. This boy's got pace to burn and looks a real danger. It was only a cameo so maybe he'll be hit and miss as reported by those who watched him at barca.
  • Tactics Tim didn't live up to his name and make the right subs at the right time.
  • Water breaks are a joke.
  • It was a shame Amavi made the mistake that cost us a point. I like him.
  • I'm not a fan of Westwoods set pieces. They are shite.

Overall I don't think it was quite as bad as some are making out. We weren't great but easily could have got an undeserved point. I think we will be an up and down team this season so we'll just have to accept it. We could have held out for a relatively undeserved draw today and if we had the atmosphere on here would not be so bad.

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

Sanchez was my motm, when he went odf palace were always going to score. Grealish should be right behind Rudy , hes getting possession in a poor area of the pitch.

Guzans distribution needs attention.

The result says more about Sherwood learning than it does our players

Taking Sanchez off was such a poor decision, it should have been Gabby, it seems like he's become too influential in the dressing room and almost undropable. Adama looks unbelievable. Guzan should have kicked it long and it was a terrible mistake by Amavi. So disappointing.

Edited by Razor

'If you can't win it, lose it', seems to be Sherwood's maxim. Whatever chance we had of keeping it to a 0-0 went with Sanchez going off. I think Amavi and Guzan had a nightmare for the winner and were possibly equally to blame. I missed the first half, so I didn't see Grealish run the show in the first half or Gabby's miss. I didn't really notice anyone else. Other than Adama who looks like a real match winner, if he was given a chance.

The hate for Bacuna stems from him pratting about wasting time towards the end as far as I can tell. I don't know what he was thinking, but really we never recovered from it. He should stick to appearing on beauty pageants. I am not a Gabby fan, but the fact that he has been in the team for so long makes me think that he offers something. I'm really not sure he does though. Defenders say they hate playing against him, but I really can't imagine why. There must be a reason. I would like to have it explained to me. Why did he get 90 minutes?

I think calling for Sherwood to make another sub for the sake of it is a little, 'video game universe'. Not that we were playing well by any means, but he didn't want to disrupt the team and seemed to think that what he had out there was good enough to hold onto the draw and maybe grab the win. Taking Sanchez off was so his passing didn't put us in trouble, but it was a rush of blood to the head I think. He had just passed to an opponent and then immediately won it back with his reading of the game and his tackling. But still he was dragged off. Mistake.

Anyway, Crystal Palace are an alright team. Probably as good as us at the moment. We were unlucky at times and lucky at other times. I'd rather Gabby didn't play for us again until I get a full explanation why he deserves to be in the team. The rest, fine. Gestede looks like a decent Championship striker who probably shouldn't be starting games for us. He's not our first choice, nor is Gabby. His debut goal made people go absolutely insane, but we really really REALLY need a good striker. And soon.

• Like 1

Vs Sunderland

Bunn

Hutton Richards Clark Amavi

Westwood Sanchez gana

Adama Sinclair Jack

The no striker formation, that'll definitely help cure our problem of not creating chances.

The problem is scoring not creating them

Vs Sunderland

Bunn

Hutton Richards Clark Amavi

Westwood Sanchez gana

Adama Sinclair Jack

The no striker formation, that'll definitely help cure our problem of not creating chances.

The problem is scoring not creating them

Its both....there is no cohesion at present....we are not winning our individual battles and not playing as a team......because the team is young, individual errors are happening by different players every game.....we just have to keep working hard at BMH and play through it.

Edited by TRO

Guzan - Surprised that he's getting most of the blame by fans for the second goal. For some reason he's turned into a scapegoat by these fans desperate to have him replaced by someone they do not have a clue who, so it's a just a zeitgeist for them to pick on him at every opportunity. Amavi was the most open of the back four when he decided to play it short. If he had gone for a long ball these fans would still be complaining anyway that he's giving possession away, not slowing down the game etc.

Bacuna - Does give away cheap corners and free kicks due to poor decision making. Other than that nothing too bad, but nothing good either.

Clark - Back to his previous disastrous goal causing displays before last season. Useless for both goals. Constantly sucked to the ball and abandoning his man = not defending at all. Prime example: running towards Dann and standing in the middle of nowhere for the second goal when Amavi was already chasing back and leaving Sako wide open.

Richards - Not too much wrong today.

Amavi - Generally no issues but giving the ball away in that position for the second goal by trying to be too smart is an absolute howler. Even if he was being pressured, there were tons of other options to take that wouldn't have caused him to be robbed of the ball. 

Westwood - Corners mostly rubbish and straight to their keeper. Distribution almost always the easy way backwards even when forward options were actually available. But moments of brilliance like the through ball that Gabby wasted.

Sanchez - Brilliant today and won the ball numerous times. Looking like those fantastic assured displays for Columbia at the world's highest stage. Bizarre that he came off and not the under performing players. Retarded substitution by Tactics Tim really.

Gana - Solid and nothing spectacular. A less flashy and also maybe less reckless version of Delph.

Grealish - Some good moves and skills to carve out shooting opportunities for himself and being a danger outside their box. But does not that moment of brilliance to play teammates in or unlock the Palace defence.

Gabby - Some good pace to get to the ball here and there but other than that an utter waste of space. Basically non existent, lazy, can't even control the ball or dribble it properly? He's one of those as poor as our previous seasons' players who basically can't even kick a ball and you wonder how they are actually professional footballers. Keep playing this favourite and wonder why we have no goal threat Tactics Tim.

Gestede - Totally stagnant if the ball is not played straight to him. Passing quite poor today unlike his first game. But I think a lot of it is down to no one being near him when he goes get the ball. All his headers and knock downs only go straight to Palace players and the Villa players are simply nowhere in sight!

Adama - Incredible pace and looks really promising to be a real asset. Left their entire defence his wake and he'll be easily terrifying and destroying many opponent defenders if left one on one and given space.

Edited by GasGasGas

Very disappointing but it will take more games before the team gels.

We need a real forward, Gabby's career at this level is over and from what I've seen of Rudy his may well be also.

Bacuna isn't a RB, Guzan's distribution is very poor, Gabby doesn't score, Westwood is ?....same crap, season after season.

We are hoing to battle in the lower half again unless someone like Austin signs before the window closes.

Very poor from Sherwood, I love to ask him his thoughts on taking our best player off ahead of so many other's who should have been off before Sanchez.

A lot of work still to be done.

Left for work at the whistle, so 12.5 hours later, my thoughts are this-

Gabby needs to be dropped permanently, that was bush league stuff from him, and just continuing the pattern of poor performances.

Gestede looked lost, he needs someone playing much tighter to him (hopefully Gil), or needs better service from wider positions or corners ( cough Westwood)

Bacuna is second rate, at the moment. We'd be better off with Hutton right now. 

Clark a bit helter skelter. 

Sanchez was good for what he does. He's one dimensional, but when he's on his game, it's very good.

Gana needs to create more of an identity for himself

Adama clearly a game changing player

Amavi had a howler, not helped by Guzan, but it's clear Amavi is possibly our best player. 

Really annoyed with the late goals we give up, it's become a Villa tradition. 

Hopefully Sherwood sits Gabby, starts Gil and Adama, and we start winning some **** games.

Edited by maqroll

Â