• Poor
    • Very Poor
  2. 2. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Guzan and Amavi took all excitement out of Adama's great debut. ****** ******* ****. I'm so fuming. How can you be so dumb Guzan, why did you not calm down the game? So unnecessary.

A draw and we'd be looking ahead strong. Now we're left with an uphill battle with a shot confidence.

This is just going to happen again and again and again.

Edited by AVTuco
  • Like 1

Shaded it first half but never got going at all 2nd half for some reason apart from Traores cameo. Should have made more subs as players were tiring or not performing well. I'm annoyed but I'm not too disheartened at this stage.

• Like 3

It takes real commitment to be this bad so consistently.

Guzan: 5 - Couple of good saves marred by stupid distribution all round and his part in their winner

Amavi: 6 - Started well but got a lot worse, at some fault for the winner

Clark: 4 - No idea what he was trying to do for the goal

Richards: 6 - Looked sturdy enough

Bacuna: 5 - Terrible

Westwood: 5 - Painfully average, dire set pieces

Sanchez: 7 - Shouldn't have come off, bossed the midfield

Gana: 5 - Magically disappeared in the second half save for a couple of fouls

Gabby: 4 - Please god, if Gabby is the answer what is the question?

Gestede: 5 - It felt like every header he won went straight to a Palace player

Grealish: 5 - Looked tidy but way off the pace, only made one really decisive run

Subs: Traore - 7 - Well hello!

I know this is a new side that needs to gel, but you wonder how many defeats we can suffer in order for us to become something better. Bottom of the table at Christmas?

Gabby, Bacuna - need to be dropped

Decent game. The kit looks great. We were pretty good in the first half, Palace were all over us in the second. I like what they're trying to do - attacking full backs, Sanchez dropping to cover when they're moving forward.

Gabby's got to be benched. He just doesn't offer anything any more. His chance in the first half summed up his last couple of seasons - still some pace to get there, feeble effort on goal. His finishing is poor, his crossing is poor, his heading doesn't seem what it once was and although still quick doesn't have the same pace to burn that he used to.

Great to see Grealish back, looked great. I quite liked the midfield three for this game - Sanchez was excellent and Westwood good in the first half. Amavi was good and unlucky to lose the ball for the second goal. Defence overall decent. Not convinced that Gestede is going to be able to carry things upfront. Traore = unit. All muscle and directness.

Take Gabby out and start Traore and/or Gil. There are promising signs and you get the feeling Sherwood is seeing what we see and will sort it.

• Like 3

We looked good in the first half without really threatening to score. Pardew's changes during half-time meant we were always on the back foot in the second half and Sherwood didn't react. Gabby was absolute toilet all game long. Guestede poor. Traore very promising, Gresford bright. As I said in the match thread, their goals came from our mistakes - a throw-in which they won all too easily and a poor clearance between Amavi and Guzman. These are longstanding Villa problems and it's disappointing to see that they still haven't been fixed.

Think Sherwood takes a portion of the blame here, waiting way too long to make a sub and then not making any more. Sanchez was having a great match, and Traore could have served as a straight replacement for Gabby without exposing the back four - which, given how much Bacuna was being isolated, seemed to be to be an important consideration. Not replacing tired players on a day so hot that they had drinks breaks seems silly to me. Disappointing.

• Like 2

Unlucky really, but we are still lacking going forward. The main reason for this is that we persist with 3 central midfielders without any of them being a number 10. Eventually we are going to have to play a left midfielder, a right midfielder and someone behind the front man. Until Gil is fit, I would just play Grealish as the no.10 and Sinclair on the left and Traore on the right, with either Gabby, Rudy or Ayew. up front

Gestede and Gabby both poor - I'm really concerned about our striker situation - not sure why Tim didn't take either of them off today, they weren't doing anything.

Other than that - most of them were ok, noone had a shocker. A win against Sunderland and this is a decent start to the season.

Adama looks talented but very raw - l would start him, Grealish and Gil against Sunderland if they are all fit.

- We need to stop playing Gabby. Pace alone is not enough

- Why take Sanchez off? Should have been Gabby instead

- Guzan has become a liability. He gives away 3-4 possessions every game because of his poor goal kicks or errant throws to players. The 2nd Crystal Palace goal was on him

- Still saw enough to think we can be a mid-table side

• Like 1

How many games does Gabby need to play in to prove he is shite? Gestade, great goal at Bournemouth, but is fundamentally an immobile Championship grade striker. Add those two fact together and you understand why we pose next to no goal threat.

Bacuna is so NOT a right back, much much better to play Hutton. Oh and piss poor defending from both Clark and Amavi particularly the latter.

Very very poor from TS today, should have used his subs better and earlier and swapped things around.

Poor performance today. Really to need up the tempo when in possession. That, for me, is what was lacking. With the players we have on the pitch we need to be playing a quick game. None of this dalying on the ball like we did today. Played a high tempo last Friday and I think that performance would have won today.

Poor from Sherwood today in my opinion.

I'm not too disheartened by the result Palace are a decent team and I'd expect them to finish above us this season, and we're very obviously still a work in progress. But Palace weren't at their best today, particularly in the first half and the three points were there for the taking.

It's beyond me how Gabby and Gestede were still on the pitch after 90 minutes. Both had a poor first half and both were invisible in the second half. Adama was a great impact sub but Sanchez had a good game today and we couldn't get the ball off Palace once he was taken off. I'd much rather have seen Adama and maybe Sinclair on for both Gabby and Gestede.

• Like 1

Traore could be a very special player for us.  I said as much in the match thread (which wasn't totally agreed upon but hey-ho).  Good first half but we severely lacked a goal threat.  2nd half was rubbish.  

Sherwood -5

Where was Sinclair after the break. Gabby was done. Gestede better than Kozak?? Cant believe Kozak isn't worth a chance.

Very slow to see how Pardew changed it after the break. Should have made 2 changes at 60, one of Gabby or Gestede t come off, should never have brought Sanchez off, got all the players shakey

Though im still confident we won't be in the relegation zone this season. Over to Sherwood!

Edited by foreveryoung
  • Like 1

And it was Amavi's mistake obviously but why is Guzan giving him the ball there? He can see up the pitch, Amavi has absolutely nothing on other than to boot it aimlessly up the pitch

Sherwood needs to stamp that out too, Amavi was sloppy when taking people on in our own half, Richards was wreckless at times as well

Just the same old shit again.

No movement up front. Gestede just looks like a tree who if u don't feed crosses will offer nothing else.

Gabby is untouchable but needs shooting. If he continues to be picked (which he will) he will completely undermine our season.

What the **** is Guzan doing? He waits half an hour to get rid then gives it

To Amavi who has a player bearing down on him.

So so slow in posession and absolutely no clue and zero movement going forward.

Takin Sanchez off was ridiculous. He was our best player.

Take the waste of space that is gabby for

Traore.

It's gonna be another long season

Palace are a decent side and a draw would have been a good result. Decent first half, wilted in second. Guzan at fault for the goal, Gabby was garbage and should NEVER start another game !

Â