Jordan Amavi

Villaphan04

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Bit of a radical idea I know but how about we try playing the best left back we've had at the club for a long time at left back?

Yes thats great once we have have to play ayew up top...

So we need to look  alternatives or shall we stick kozak up top like last game, that was so successful! 

On 8/26/2016 at 00:16, VILLAMARV said:

Bit of a radical idea I know but how about we try playing the best left back we've had at the club for a long time at left back?

...because he might actually be better in a more advanced role?

As far as the best left back in a 'long time', well it depends on how to define long time, because Amavi hasn't played enough for us to determine that. 

49 minutes ago, Richie k said:

his defending isnt as bad as people make it out to be. the welcome to liverpool video a few pages back shows some good defending. hes still young and will improve surely

I have no idea where it's come from that he 'can't defend', he made a couple of mistakes that were capitalised on but on the whole was good defensively.

He will rightly stay at left back and when fully up to speed after the awful injury will take over from Aly.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Last season he didn't play many games for us but made some noteable and costly errors, so to say defending isn't his strong point isn't too far fetched based on evidence so far. 

there's a difference between "defending isn't his strong point" and "he needs to learn how to defend"

defending isn't Daniel Alves' strong point, nor Jordi Alba, or David Alaba, or even Kyle Walker, or Nathaniel Clyne. He has a style that is more forward thinking definitely.

lets not forget that he led European football in statistics for a full back before we signed him.

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

I fail to see why people demand that this guy should start at left back. 

Because he's got bags of ability, is young, a France U-21 international, was a bright spark in a dark time in limited appearances last season. For sure he makes errors. Every footballer does but the potential quality is there and that is what excites people. He is potentially very good. Fans always like to see good footballers in the team that they support (this is probably the main one).

These are just some of the reasons why people demand that he starts. I'm not demanding that he starts just pointing out some reasons why he should. Obviously there are reasons why he shouldn't (suspect defensively) but he's a potentially a very good player and I would like to see him start. The defensive aspects of his game might sort themselves out or might not but he will only have a chance to learn by playing games. 

32 minutes ago, KHV said:

i agree.  Places in the team should be earned, not given.  We have a left back who has started the season very well, it is his place to lose.  The same applies everywhere else.

Amavi is coming back from a very serious injury.  He has struggled in the games that he's played in.  

The whole scenario reminds me of Lowton in his first season.  He was woeful when defending but contributed going forward.  For some bizare reason, this made him a blue eyed boy on here.  Attacking ability has to be a bonus for defenders.  First and foremost, they must be able to defend.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 12:39, Richie k said:

his defending isnt as bad as people make it out to be.

I think it's worse than people on here want to believe it is. Because he's good going forward people think he's better than he is because of the perception of "modern" fullbacks. He has been at fault for an awful lot of goals since he joined the club mostly down to poor positioning and/or ball watching. Needs alot of work and to play in a settled back four to improve.

Edited by villa89

4 hours ago, KHV said:

Because he has a fancy name and an interesting barnet.

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Wonder if he can play LW? Seems skillful and quick so might be an option out wide.

I would much rather see him at LW, he has great pace and a decent cross. 

4 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think it's worse than people on here want to believe it is. Because he's good going forward people think he's better than he is because of the perception of "modern" fullbacks. He has been at fault for an awful lot of goals since he joined the club mostly down to poor positioning and/or ball watching. Needs alot of work and to play in a settled back four to improve.

i think there was 1 goal his fault. he got blamed for another because of a stupid pass from guzan and he wasnt expecting and shouldnt have recieved the ball. he made 1 or 2 mistakes which seems to be contagious in last years villa team. he hadnt played much in england there was going to be errors and hes young. definately not as bad as people make him out to be. hes not world class by any means but has the potential. the case can be made for him being played in a more advanced roll but ive no problem with him startin once he earns the position. cissokho can have just as many stupid errors in him if not more

Â