Micah Richards

Demitri_C

It's only a friendly. But as I've said on here before, I really don't think he's a centre half, he doesn't have the ability to read the game or position himself too well. He's been at his best during his career at right back, although even then showed he wasn't great at positioning, but you can get away with that more at fullback than centre half. 

• Like 1

Agree, Richards will start the season at CB but it will only take a shambolic defensive performance at home to United or away to Palace or any other game we concede 3-4 and he'll be back at RB as for 60k a week he dosen't get dropped. 

I've said from the beginning that I don't really rate him, so his performance hasn't come as a shock to me. I really hope I'm wrong. 

Full stop or just at centre half?

I don't think a club in our position can get too sniffy at signing players who were regulars in title wins not so long ago.

He's a good age and if he stays fit can be an exciting player for us in time.....at right back.

• Like 2

I always felt he had early promise, but never really mastered the art of defending, he's a terrific athlete, but lacks awareness and positional sense. 

The other enormous red flag with this signing is that he has hardly played any football over the past four seasons, so it's impossible to see how he could have improved at all given the lack of game time he's had. 

I don't really expect a huge amount from him to be honest, at least not over the short term. I'd imagine he'll start at centre half, but then will eventually be moved to right back once his weakness start costing us a bit. Then we'll see if he can get any sort of consistency and form at fullback. 

• Like 1

O.K I can understand why he could be bracketed as another hyped up English player who's done little in last few years. 

That said, compare him to Kyle Walker. He's one most on here would be doing cartwheels over if he came back, he's done nothing at Spurs or for England since winning YPOTY in 2012 so same timeframe as Richards.

Micah needs to stay fit first after last few years and then he needs to play a good run of games at RB. He'll be a good player for us I'm sure.

I've said from the beginning that I don't really rate him, so his performance hasn't come as a shock to me. I really hope I'm wrong. 

I don't think a club in our position can get too sniffy at signing players who were regulars in title wins not so long ago.

He's a good age and if he stays fit can be an exciting player for us in time.....at right back.

I hope he has a great career but I don't think the title win argument holds much weight, not when Pascal Cygan has one.

I do t rate him full stop, at least at RB he can get away with some of his flaws, CB he'll be a disaster IMO

He was playing very recklessly, leaving us short at the back by bombing forward etc. But then again it was a training game, be unwise to read too much into any performances that game I think. That said I would nuch prefer him at RB where I feel he is more suited.

Edited by penguin

Is us signing Richards any worse than Stoke signing Glen Johnson. Remember Stoke are one of the teams we need to be catching in the next few years.

I think not.

Glen Johnson won't be playing CB for Stoke though will he

I honestly can't see Richards playing the full season at CB, he'll have some bad games so eventually will be moved back to RB.

Okore-Clark was good at times last season, I'd rather that than Richards in there unless it's a 3.

We've signed a former Manchester City captain, winner of every English domestic trophy and all-round defensive powerhouse in Micah Richards on a Bosman with the best years of his career ahead of him.

I think a certain section of Villa fans have become so accustomed to seeing poor defenders over the last few years that they don't know what a good defensive signing is anymore.

• Like 1

We've signed a former Manchester City captain, winner of every English domestic trophy and all-round defensive powerhouse in Micah Richards on a Bosman with the best years of his career ahead of him.

I think a certain section of Villa fans have become so accustomed to seeing poor defenders over the last few years that they don't know what a good defensive signing is anymore.

None of what you've said proves he is a capable centre-back.

• Like 1

Â