Witcher 3

lapal_fan

On 12/5/2017 at 09:52, jjaacckk91 said:

Forgot how good it was, horizon aside nothing has even got close to as good that I've played since.

I must be missing something with Horizon. TW3 is one of my favourite games ever and probably the best ARPG I've ever played.

Horizon was...bland. A wide open world without much going on it in, a ridiculous story, cheesy, unbelievable dialog, and serviceable combat somewhat spoiled by the useless AI. It wouldn't be in my top 5 I've played this year. I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as this :P 

Edited by Davkaus

12 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I must be missing something with Horizon. TW3 is one of my favourite games ever and probably the best ARPG I've ever played.

Horizon was...bland. A wide open world without much going on it in, a ridiculous story, cheesy, unbelievable dialog, and serviceable combat somewhat spoiled by the useless AI. It wouldn't be in my top 5 I've played this year. I wouldn't mention it in the same breath as this :P 

Horizon has some really good things going for it - the story isn't bad at all and if you played it enough to finish it it's surprisingly solid. The combat is some of the best I've played in a long while as far as 3rd person RPGs go, too. That said, it's nothing on The Witcher but that's more to do with how good The Witcher is than Horizon being bad. 

Unrelated - I think it's really interesting that so many people love the game for their own reasons. If you asked 50 people why this games special you'll get 50 different answers.

I recently finished Horizon and am now playing Witcher 3 GOTY. I still prefer Horizon at the moment. W3 has this uncanny ability for a western RPG to be fantastic for pick up and playability, which may swing me in it's favour further down the line...but not yet.

Combat isn't a patch on Horizon, movement can be very awkward, and jumping from Horizon to W3 in terms of the look of the the game...yeesh. Some PS2 quality textures in this. And yes I'm well aware of the size difference of the teams/budgets involved, but it's undeniable the gulf between the games in that respect. 

What playing this has done has made me incredibly excited for Cyberpunk 2077. That setting, given the W3 treatment - wow. 

Edited by hogso

1 hour ago, Rino8 said:

Horizon has some really good things going for it - the story isn't bad at all and if you played it enough to finish it it's surprisingly solid. The combat is some of the best I've played in a long while as far as 3rd person RPGs go, too. That said, it's nothing on The Witcher but that's more to do with how good The Witcher is than Horizon being bad. 

Unrelated - I think it's really interesting that so many people love the game for their own reasons. If you asked 50 people why this games special you'll get 50 different answers.

Gwent.

• Like 2

What I like is when sometimes you finish an enemy off, and they get chopped in half! And all their guts come right out on to the floor! Also yesterday I was walking along a road, and this chap was dead, being held by his young son. It wasn't a quest or anything, so I couldn't interact with the kid. If I could of, I probably wouldve chopped him in half, so all his guts came out right on to the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started playing this again yesterday and put a couple of hours in. Haven't played it in months but you can just jump right back in.

If I wanted to do all missions and side quests and discover all locations there must be another 40 -50 hours in this after already putting well over a 100 into it.

EPIC.

Edited by AVFCDAN

On 06/12/2017 at 23:50, hogso said:

I recently finished Horizon and am now playing Witcher 3 GOTY. I still prefer Horizon at the moment. W3 has this uncanny ability for a western RPG to be fantastic for pick up and playability, which may swing me in it's favour further down the line...but not yet.

Combat isn't a patch on Horizon, movement can be very awkward, and jumping from Horizon to W3 in terms of the look of the the game...yeesh. Some PS2 quality textures in this. And yes I'm well aware of the size difference of the teams/budgets involved, but it's undeniable the gulf between the games in that respect. 

What playing this has done has made me incredibly excited for Cyberpunk 2077. That setting, given the W3 treatment - wow. 

It's due for a 2019 release apparently. Too long. 

On 06/12/2017 at 23:50, hogso said:

jumping from Horizon to W3 in terms of the look of the the game...yeesh. Some PS2 quality textures in this.

I just did a double take - I guess you played this on console though?

HZD did a marvelous job with the Ps4's shitty hardware; TW3 less so, which is understandable given that HZD was a PS4 exclusive, whereas TW3 was cross platform, with the emphasis put on PC development. It looks absolutely bloody breathtaking on PC though - it's simply up there with the absolute best looking games, even a few years later. not much competes with TW3 with the graphics bumped up to ultimate.

Pound for pound, on the Ps4 hardware though, it's clearly no contest.

14 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

It's due for a 2019 release apparently. Too long. 

They can take as long as they want. CD Projekt are one of the only studios left making AAA games for the sheer artistic pleasure of it rather than to milk its users of more money. They announced Cyberpunk 2077 in 2013, if they need longer they can have it as they are a studio that has never set a foot wrong. That game is going to be phenomenal. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

For all the wrong people who liked Gwent, they're releasing a Gwent based prequel to the first Witcher game next week, called Thronebreaker. It appears to be Gwent crossed with Diablo environments and Banner Saga presentation.

Looks like something I'd rather headbutt a nail into my forehead than play but some absolute mentalists might like it.

• 1 year later...

So following the Netflix series release and this game now being on Xbox Gamepass, I've decided to give it a go.

It seems good, probably played it for a good 10hours so far but feels a bit slow at times. Quite often doing the following...

Go to marker on map, talk to person A

Go to marker on map, talk to person B

Go to marker on map, talk to person A again.

Not completely bored yet but not sure I'll make it through the full story. 

Also, I feel there's almost too much to do and learn, I can't be bothered to get remotely involved in potions yet. 

Edited by PieFacE

Â