Witcher 3

lapal_fan

25 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So following the Netflix series release and this game now being on Xbox Gamepass, I've decided to give it a go.

It seems good, probably played it for a good 10hours so far but feels a bit slow at times. Quite often doing the following...

Go to marker on map, talk to person A

Go to marker on map, talk to person B

Go to marker on map, talk to person A again.

Not completely bored yet but not sure I'll make it through the full story. 

Also, I feel there's almost too much to do and learn, I can't be bothered to get remotely involved in potions yet. 

From memory the potions bit is absolutely baffling and overwhelming at first. To be honest it still is as you get through the game.

The good news is you barely, if ever, need it. I never actually finished Witcher 3, but I got close to it, and I can't remember making single potion. If I did it was because the game specifically told me to. 

So basically, just ignore them :)

As for the "go to marker on map, talk to person A" stuff. That's true. But I think that's a problem with all these kind of games. I've experienced the same with RDR2. I don't doubt that game is brilliant, but I played about 4 hours and it was so slow. And all I was doing was walking to one part of the map, then walking to another, then walking to another. I couldn't engage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

So following the Netflix series release and this game now being on Xbox Gamepass, I've decided to give it a go.

It seems good, probably played it for a good 10hours so far but feels a bit slow at times. Quite often doing the following...

Also, I feel there's almost too much to do and learn, I can't be bothered to get remotely involved in potions yet. 

Think that's why I gave up on it. It was so slow, I found it tedious.

• Like 1

Probably one of the best games I have ever played.

Can be a little slow, if you cant get invested in the story or side stories might not be for you, but If you can its brilliant, some of the side quests are like mini games in their own right. (Monster contracts, random meetings with story)

I never really bothered with potions for ages, but really got in to alchemy towards the mid game, some of the stuff you can do with the alchemy is nuts.

Really I think you need to enjoy the lore and story to get the most out of it, for me there were parts that blew my mind (skellige and the music still brings back fond memories, Priscillas song, many other things I wont mention as I don't want to spoil it for you if you choose to play it through)

For me, probably in my top 3 games ever, but I can also see why some might not like it.

On 29/12/2019 at 19:06, PieFacE said:

There is a lot of that but its the same for any game of that type/genre really. This game is just the benchmark at doing it. 

The story, the world even the Graphics some 4 years on are possibly the best I've seen in a game on my xbox.

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I have never played any of the Witcher series but I have just got my hands on Wild Hunt and installing as we speak.... 

I hadn't played any before Witcher 3 either but it won't matter. It's a fantastic game

• Like 1

There's a few times in the story where it refers to events in the first two games, but as @Stevo985 says, it doesn't matter if you don't know.

The games also has character profiles in the options menu which detail much of what you've missed, or you could just watch a quick YouTube video if you really want to know, but yeah, it doesn't really make much difference to the story or your enjoyment of the game.

Awesome game, certainly one of my top five of all time.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

All installed and ready to go.... Going to just go for it and take on Death March! Hopefully this afternoon I can get in a good few solid hours to get immersed in this new world.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I got this on PlayStation after seeing how loved it was and hoped it would fill the void of having competed read dead redemption 2. 
I think I have only managed about 4 hours and I can’t face loading it up again, all I seemed to do was pick multiple choice answers for what to say to people. I guess would have helped if I had played the other games so I knew what was happening. 
I think maybe it’s just not my kind of game, I feel I need to be a little too involved in order to enjoy it...

I wouldn't suggest seeking out the earlier games (which you wouldn't be able to do anyway if you're only on PS4), they're far less accessible than the third, so if you struggled with that one it's highly unlikely you'll fair any better with those.

On 09/09/2020 at 23:11, mark359 said:

I got this on PlayStation after seeing how loved it was and hoped it would fill the void of having competed read dead redemption 2. 
I think I have only managed about 4 hours and I can’t face loading it up again, all I seemed to do was pick multiple choice answers for what to say to people. I guess would have helped if I had played the other games so I knew what was happening. 
I think maybe it’s just not my kind of game, I feel I need to be a little too involved in order to enjoy it...

I was completely overwhelmed by it at first too. But it does get far far better. 

stick with it. It’s a fantastic game 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The next gen patch / version has been delayed until further notice.

I really need to go back to Witcher 3 one day, and the patch will be the best excuse I could hope for. Shame I'll be waiting a bit longer. 

I restarted it the other day. This is my 4th play through I think? First on Death March as I'm going for the PS4 trophy. 7 year old game and it still looks gorgeous. Such an immersive, glorious game.

Â