The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I'm someone who lives quite close to 'leafy' Surrey. I can tell you right now that Surrey has plenty of ¤%"#holes. Just like Hampshire, Devon, East Sussex and Kent. The home counties aren't all bottles of bubbly and villas.

Have a stroll down Staines city centre or one of Woking's many chav-tastic neighbourhoods (Sheerwater, Maybury or Knaphill) and I think you'll revise your image of 'leafy Surrey'.

If you then have a chance, have a stroll around Eastleigh in Hampshire, the only leaf you'll see is one in a baggie that the local kid is trying to sell to you. Portsmouth and Southampton might as well be Bridgend and Swansea, they're not a posh beach full of retirees.

Okay cool, and Oxted (where he’s from), i assume that’s like Compton in the early 90’s right? 

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Okay cool, and Oxted (where he’s from), i assume that’s like Compton in the early 90’s right? 

Absolutely. Didn't you know Starmer's a Blood, right? 

Seriously though, the discussion as to whether Starmer's background is "working class" enough or not is irrelevant surely? Anything that Labour come out with at this time is going to be infinitely superior to the dross that the Tories will come out with. 

To be honest, all of the infighting within Labour (which is massively evident even here) is a big factor why the Tories keep getting in. They may be absolutely bonkers but they know that they need to team up in order to stay in power; same with the GOP in America. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Oxted is a tiny village, right next to three of the worst places in Surrey, Gatwick, Crawley and Redhill. It's by no means Kensington or Isleworth. Did you say this sort of stuff about JC when he was in? JC is from a proper posh family, from one of the richest areas in London. Oxted is a field next to an airport compared to it.

In the 60's judging by the proximity to the then rough areas of South London (Croydon), I would gander that it was far from the posh paradise you'll have it as.

Edited by magnkarl

55 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Oxted is a tiny village, right next to three of the worst places in Surrey, Gatwick, Crawley and Redhill. It's by no means Kensington or Isleworth. Did you say this sort of stuff about JC when he was in? JC is from a proper posh family, from one of the richest areas in London. Oxted is a field next to an airport compared to it.

In the 60's judging by the proximity to the then rough areas of South London (Croydon), I would gander that it was far from the posh paradise you'll have it as.

Who said I was a JC fan? I liked some of his rhetoric, i disliked other parts of it. I would have given him a go for sure but then that’s largely because I’m so totally disillusioned with politics, both in this country and internationally and have been for a decade or longer now.

Anyway, it’s going over ground that was covered yesterday. I don’t have a particular dislike of Starmer. But I also do not think that Oxted seems to be the kind of place where you’d need a particular level of resilience to survive.

36 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Who said I was a JC fan? I liked some of his rhetoric, i disliked other parts of it. I would have given him a go for sure but then that’s largely because I’m so totally disillusioned with politics, both in this country and internationally and have been for a decade or longer now.

Anyway, it’s going over ground that was covered yesterday. I don’t have a particular dislike of Starmer. But I also do not think that Oxted seems to be the kind of place where you’d need a particular level of resilience to survive.

I know Oxted. It’s very leafy and quiet… definitely “posh” and safe. But it doesn’t have much bearing on my opinion of Starmer. It’s not like he went to Eton.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to bump THE MAIN OPPOSITION thread - these guys have been so inconsequential for a very long time - which is what they want - that I feel like we need to talk about them cos - there is no way Truss wins an actual election.

Edited by Jareth

By far the best performance from Starmer was in the energy price debate that was adjourned due to the Queen dying. Such a shame his multiple take downs were instantly forgotten.

He absolutely mugged off both Truss and Kwarteng using their own words against them.

14 hours ago, Genie said:

By far the best performance from Starmer was in the energy price debate that was adjourned due to the Queen dying. Such a shame his multiple take downs were instantly forgotten.

He absolutely mugged off both Truss and Kwarteng using their own words against them.

Hard agree. And that's just for starters. Labour are winning the next election by a landslide, because the Tories are so unbelievably blind to what the average voter wants. Tories have a sixth former quoting Thatcherism as PM, I've never known in my lifetime such appalling leadership. How on earth can Labour lose from here. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Superb opportunity to bring in proportional representation - but Labour won't take it. it's too radical. 

Their membership is about 60-40 in favour, I think, if not more so. I suspect they might, but like you say “might” isn’t “will” and I sort of also am sceptical they will.

21 minutes ago, blandy said:

Their membership is about 60-40 in favour, I think, if not more so. I suspect they might, but like you say “might” isn’t “will” and I sort of also am sceptical they will.

I think it's more than that, but Starmer has chosen not to rile people - in fairness it's an attack line for the tories. I'd be happy if he did it on the sly with literally every other MP in parliament, they all want it.

What will be interesting is that if there's a complete collapse in Conservative voting, we could see a Labour government with a very large majority and with that the ability to erm...get things done.

I think that would put a fair bit of pressure on Keir Starmer in terms of the big questions over what it is he actually wants to get done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Superb opportunity to bring in proportional representation - but Labour won't take it. it's too radical. 

They might when they read the new figures from Prof John Curtice's social attitudes study. 51% of the population prefer PR to 44% for FPTP

Electoral Reform Society

The publication of the latest findings from the long-running British Social Attitudes (BSA) survey this week saw a record-breaking high in public support for electoral reform. Since 1983, the following question has been included on the annual survey over twenty times. 

Some people say we should change the voting system for general elections to the UK House of Commons to allow smaller political parties to get a fairer share of MPs. 

Others say that we should keep the voting system for the House of Commons as it is to produce effective government. Which view comes closer to your own? 

While we would not agree that the First Past The Post (FPTP) voting system produces effective government, this is an argument commonly made by supporters of the system and the BSA question seeks to balance this with the more pro-reform argument that a change to the system would result in fairer electoral outcomes. The strength of the BSA data is that exactly the same question has been asked many times over decades, thus providing a robust indication of real changes in public opinion. 

Prior to the release of this latest data, collected between September and October 2021, those answering this particular question always preferred the status quo, though the gap had narrowed dramatically in the other two most recent years the question was asked (2015 and 2017). Now, for the first time, over half of people (51%) want the electoral system changed, while only 44% want to retain the current system. 

EDIT: Also rumours that Starmer is proposing to abolish the House of Lords.

I

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

As the victory looks ever more obvious, the prize becomes more and more tarnished.

Never think it's obvious. 

Anecdotal, but I know quite a few Tory voters and they haven't changed their mind at all over the last 2 years.  They liked Boris, they like Truss, they like the budget today.

I bet there is a significant majority like this and not that many swing voters.

Look at the Daily Mail online now and the headline article is "It's a good day for the UK"   (followed by a story about Jack Grealish sleeping with a 23 year old). 

• Like 1

Â