The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

good, now for a functioning opposition again, assuming the momentum end of labour don't throw their toys out of the pram, which is sadly not guaranteed.

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

good, now for a functioning opposition again, assuming the momentum end of labour don't throw their toys out of the pram, which is sadly not guaranteed.

They'd be going some to match the other end of the spectrum the last few years. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I’m not overtly familiar with the workings of the Labour Party , but does this spell the end of momentum ? 

Voted for Starmer, there wasn't a better option on the ballot. Voted for Raynor too, I think she'll be excellent, she's a very impressive and forceful speaker and one hell of a back story and a great antidote to any Tory at the dispatch box. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m not overtly familiar with the workings of the Labour Party , but does this spell the end of momentum ? 

oh probably not, although if they looked at Keir's policies they're not exactly far from Corbynism anyway. A pretty strongly left wing policy, but perhaps the pandemic will at least prevent any angry meetings for the time being. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

does this spell the end of momentum ?

I dunno. I hope not. I mean the tens or hundreds even, of thousands of just normal people who wanted and want things to change for the fairer can be a force for good to Labour. Some of their leaders were knobbers and some of the members were knobbers, but mostly just normal people sick of the tories and wanting better. I think Corbyn's Brexity shenanigans will have disabused a lot of them of their notions that he was some kind of kindly, benign, messiah. If Labour can recapture a connection with the lives and needs of people and steer away from "niche",  clique, obsessions about Israel, Venezuela, ignoring Russian malice and the likes of that, and focus on British people's needs primarily, then that would be good. That doesn't mean wrongs by Israeli Government or the US should be ignored, but they need to concentrate on making our lives and our society better.

• Like 3

Wot @blandy said. The only sensible choice, really. Come the next election they ought to walk it (although it still depends what shite the Mail, Express and Sun can come up with). But if they do, they're going to inherit a country with empty coffers and big, big problems to sort out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Wot @blandy said. The only sensible choice, really. Come the next election they ought to walk it (although it still depends what shite the Mail, Express and Sun can come up with). But if they do, they're going to inherit a country with empty coffers and big, big problems to sort out. 

At least there'd be someone with the minerals to sort it out moving into No. 10.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see PMQs cancelled indefinitely. I bet Johnson is shitting himself at thought of facing up to Starmer at the box.  As indeed they all should be.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

See its this bullshit that really annoys me, what the f is northern common sense, why bring regionalism into it? Fat chippy tits Representative for Wellingborough. yes I like most of Merseyside detest him

• Like 2

Just listened to Starmers speech. Pretty good. Retaining the policies that actually resonated pretty well with the public. Without Corbyn to knock, the Tories and their press minions will struggle to deflect people’s attention away from Labours policies and onto an unpopular leader. Starmer is a barrister, well used to arguing his corner with facts and gravitas. Will probably run rings around Boris in Parliament. We can but hope.

Edited by meregreen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NurembergVillan said:

At least there'd be someone with the minerals to sort it out moving into No. 10.

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see PMQs cancelled indefinitely. I bet Johnson is shitting himself at thought of facing up to Starmer at the box.  As indeed they all should be.

Bring it on.

Yeah going to be good, Starmer is forensic and Johnson's a bluffer, he'll dismantle him. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Come the next election they ought to walk it 

You’d be looking at an unprecedented swing for them to win / Tories to lose ... 

Boris is almost a brand , Starmer I’d imagine is unknown to mostly the public  ... shouldn’t matter but modern politics doesn’t work like that 

But a lot can happen in 4 and a half years

5 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Retaining the policies that actually resonated pretty well with the public.

Trouble is the Tory’s have now stolen most of them :)

• Like 1

Starmer does indeed need a huge swing - but he's not Corbyn (a key reason for losing votes) and he's not facing an opposition who are promising Brexit. Dear old Boris will need a vision of some sort to sell the public. All to play for, and there are a lot of talented MPs who've sat the last few years out, they will hammer their incompetent opposite numbers.  

Â