The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Jon said:

And he should be held to his 10 pledges, detailed on his website during the leadership election.  They are commitments I could get behind, but I do fear how generally he believes in them, or whether they were put out there simply to win. 

Agreed on all counts.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

80% support for Corbynite policies would suggest a leadership win for LRB?

No, because people don't only (or even mainly) vote on policies. Two common errors: firstly, to assume that the majority of members are high-information types who are obsessively following policy announcements and pledges (they aren't), and secondly to assume that policies matter more than vague impressions about competence, appearance, personality etc. Note the following key paragraphs from the link I posted:

'Those surveyed said they thought of leadership candidates Lisa Nandy and Long-Bailey as more “in touch with the concerns of ordinary people” than Keir Starmer, but of Starmer as more capable of offering an “effective opposition”.

Over the other candidates, they described Starmer as a “strong leader”, a good media performer, someone who unites the party, and the candidate most able to take “tough decisions” and to win an election.'

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

someone who unites the party,

tbf Corbyn did that ...  just they were united against him   :)

I watched the Andrew Neil interview with the candidates , and Nandy and LB looked out of their depth  .. Starmer seemed much better equipped than those 2   , from reading this unbiased thread it's clear VT think he will wipe the floor with Johnson , and is already our next PM  ... but i think they are overlooking Johnson's record by doing this  .. I agree it kinda baffling how Johnson has got where he has , but he clearly has something more than just the public are thick , going for him

Full shadow cabinet:

The shadow cabinet is now as follows:

• Keir Starmer, Leader of the Opposition
  • Angela Rayner, Deputy Leader and Chair of the Labour Party
  • Anneliese Dodds, Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer
  • Lisa Nandy, Shadow Foreign Secretary
  • Nick Thomas-Symonds, Shadow Home Secretary
  • Rachel Reeves, Shadow Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster
  • David Lammy, Shadow Justice Secretary
  • John Healey, Shadow Defence Secretary
  • Ed Miliband, Shadow Business, Energy and Industrial Secretary
  • Emily Thornberry, Shadow International Trade Secretary
  • Jonathan Reynolds, Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary
  • Jonathan Ashworth, Shadow Secretary of State for Health and Social Care
  • Rebecca Long-Bailey, Shadow Education Secretary
  • Jo Stevens, Shadow Digital, Culture, Media and Sport
  • Bridget Philipson, Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury
  • Luke Pollard, Shadow Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Secretary
  • Steve Reed, Shadow Communities and Local Government Secretary
  • Thangam Debbonaire, Shadow Housing Secretary
  • Jim McMahon, Shadow Transport Secretary
  • Preet Kaur Gill, Shadow International Development Secretary
  • Louise Haigh, Shadow Northern Ireland Secretary (interim)
  • Ian Murray, Shadow Scotland Secretary
  • Nia Griffith, Shadow Wales Secretary
  • Marsha de Cordova, Shadow Women and Equalities Secretary
  • Andy McDonald, Shadow Employment Rights and Protections Secretary
  • Rosena Allin-Khan, Shadow Minister for Mental Health
  • Cat Smith, Shadow Minister for Young People and Voter Engagement
  • Lord Falconer, Shadow Attorney General
  • Valerie Vaz, Shadow Leader of the House
  • Nick Brown, Opposition Chief Whip
  • Baroness Smith, Shadow Leader of the Lords
  • Lord McAvoy, Lords’ Opposition Chief Whip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My immediate reaction is a] he's certainly acting like he's serious about trying to 'bring the party together', and we'll see how long and well that goes, b] can't see anybody who doesn't deserve to be there on merit, even if I don't like their politics, c] he's mostly not given the most right-wing wreckers anything (nice to see Jess Philipps and Wes Streeting out in the cold, for instance).

30 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

he's mostly not given the most right-wing wreckers anything (nice to see Jess Philipps and Wes Streeting out in the cold, for instance).

Yeah - glad about that, would have been a terrible example to set, those two love having a pop from Twitter, it's about all they do well. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

The new Shadow AG is an unelected Lord ...surprised it’s not been mentioned seeing as people have strong views on such matters...

I certainly do have strong views on the Lords . . . get rid of the lot IMO.

EDIT: . . . also, specifically on Lord Falconer, I am very much Not A Fan.

Edited by HanoiVillan

30 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

...seeing as people have strong views on such matters...

Just to point out that the new Shadow AG, an unelected Lord, replaces another unelected Peer in the role.

Given the nature of your post, I might suggest that you haven't and hadn't fully grasped the range of strong views and the reasons behind them that people had on the elevation of the Prime Minister's live-in lover's best friend shortly after losing his seat and being given several hundred ministerial posts (I exaggerate, obviously, it was only three or four).

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

Ed M has done well to recover his reputation over the last five years really.

Five years. Wow. If he'd won, his first term would be coming to an end within the next couple of months. Think about what's happened since.

Chaos with Ed Miliband, indeed.

Â