The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

56 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I guess I'm skeptical how much it matters whether someone is 'forensic at this despatch box'

I think as you say not many people watch or listen to it and get influenced, but what it does demonstrate is an ability to think quickly, to understand what the other is saying, and to respond to that position or claim with accuracy. The worst part of the PMQ thing is/was the sloganeering and saying stuff for a Youtube edit to send round to fans - "look here's the leader raising such and such an issue". I know the whole PMQ thing has waned as a consequence of May and Corbyn being essentially useless at it, and then Johnson barely bothering at all with it, but if Starmer can "be forensic" at the dispatch box, then media can pick up on it and it the points made can get a wider audience that will make a difference. Corbyn was mostly dreadful at it, slow witted, obstinately sticking to pre-prepared lines, rather than reacting to what May/Johnson said. We were talking about dim politicians earlier, and Corbyn is dim. Starmer isn't. It matters. Competence matters hugely - it's my number one requirement, really, in a politician - equal alongside honesty (yeah, I know) and the ability to actually listen.

• Like 1

Just now, Jareth said:

Yet Boris Tory Johnson copies literally every policy created by the most Left Labour leader since forever. 

And yet he is called a right wing politician.

Just now, Jareth said:

Yet Boris Tory Johnson copies literally every policy created by the most Left Labour leader since forever. 

Literally every? Sweet baby jesus are they handing back the railways? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

The whispers about Rachel Reeves are not encouraging.

Agreed - it would be a finger in the eye of anyone who voted Corbyn, Reeves has been a consistent enemy of Left policy, and I hate to say this, but cos Israel. 

I didn't vote for Starmer, and am yet to be convinced he's the right man for the job. I'll say this though, as long as he's the leader of the party, and the movement, you'll not hear me bad mouthing him on the door step. As any party member or trade unionists should, I'll hold him to account. He has built a level of expectation, based on what he campaigned on during the leadership election, and I sincerely hope he backs his words with actions. 

The current situation aside, I would say it was going to be a tough job for any new leader to get the party back into an election winning position. I wish him all the luck in the world, and hope he has what it takes to beat the Tories. 

• Like 1

Just now, dAVe80 said:

I wish him all the luck in the world, and hope he has what it takes to beat the Tories. 

Absolutely. I resent the parts of Labour that did what they did to Corbyn, but unlike that lot, I will back the new leader. Starmer's 10 policy ideas are so similar to what was offered at the last election that he must be taken seriously. But you can almost hear the Blairish tenticles wrapping themselves around him now - the NEC elections also have made it more likely that membership decision making is reduced. If it goes too far, the membership will fall away - but that said it may make them more electable and I'll take anyone but Lord Johnson. 

31 minutes ago, bickster said:

Wondered why Northern Rail were actually running trains, instead of cancelling them because it was cheaper to pay the compo

The tories rightly took northern rail’s contract off them for being utterly awful, regardless of coronofungus.

47 minutes ago, blandy said:

The tories rightly took northern rail’s contract off them for being utterly awful, regardless of coronofungus.

Yeah but they still seem to be running the trains!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Agreed - it would be a finger in the eye of anyone who voted Corbyn, Reeves has been a consistent enemy of Left policy, and I hate to say this, but cos Israel. 

I don't know about her opinions on Israel, but I do know that she's been on a journey rightwards ever since she was elected. She supported Ed M in 2010, Yvette Cooper (I think?) in 2015, and Jess Phillips in 2020, which suggests that she's becoming ever more conservative. It would be a huge mistake to give the most important job to somebody who will a] completely demoralise the majority of the membership, and b] is most famous for deficit hawkishness and arguing that budgets should be balanced off the backs of the poorest. The last thing we need is for Tories to be chuckling over how Sunak is kinder to the poor than the shadow chancellor.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, meregreen said:

Clement Attlee. The greatest  PM we have had, in my opinion.Looked and sounded like a bank manager. It’s not how they look or sound that counts, it’s what they do.

Unfortunately, that was in a very different era, when there was no Facebook or Twitter, and the electorate did not treat a GE as being in the same category as Strictly or The X Factor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, that was in a very different era, when there was no Facebook or Twitter, and the electorate did not treat a GE as being in the same category as Strictly or The X Factor. 

I agree. Hard lessons will I think be learnt over the next 5 years. Still think Tory support is a veneer though.

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

I resent the parts of Labour that did what they did to Corbyn

Wasn’t Starmer one of them ? He resigned as part of the push to replace Corbyn in 2016 didn’t he ? 

7 hours ago, meregreen said:

Clement Attlee. The greatest  PM we have had, in my opinion.Looked and sounded like a bank manager. It’s not how they look or sound that counts, it’s what they do.

Maybe second behind Thatcher ...200.gif

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Â