The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

The Tory vote is fragile. They won what was virtually a single issue election. Peoples attention will be on a far broader spectrum next time. Plus the full effects of the shitstorm that is Brexit will have kicked in. All to play for. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bickster said:

These are unprecidented times

Yep. Obviously we don't know how the next four years are going to play out, but we could well be looking at an Attlee moment. 

• Like 2

He’s got 4 years to build a decent and competent team that don’t over promise, don’t scare the billionaire media men and to get on Laura Kuennsberg’s favoured contacts list.

So many massive projects he could win with. Pick a small number of them, start slow, ramp up.

• Like 4

Queen doing an address to the country on Sunday.

Fully expect she’ll be turning over some royal properties for nurse isolation accommodation, pledging a few million quid direct contribution and turning number 2 son over the the FBI.

Hopefully not just some all in it together great british spirit will see us through platitudes, sat in front of a gold piano. Like last time.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Stopit :mrgreen:😂

Well, he’d struggle not to. 

Just by the default of not being an active member of the IRA seen personally hanging Jews and selling secrets to Russians, like the last guy from what I read.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, he’d struggle not to. 

Just by the default of not being an active member of the IRA seen personally hanging Jews and selling secrets to Russians, like the last guy from what I read.

I've heard he's a paedophile that wants to change the country's name to "Lesser Europe", burn the union jack, and put old middle class people into concentration camps. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trying to keep an open mind on Starmer, but going to wait until the shadow cabinet is announced. The whispers about Rachel Reeves are not encouraging.

One thing I will say is I keep reading people, on here and out there, saying he 'looks like a PM' and arguing that he's a really strong orator, and I have to be honest, I don't really get it:

Did you watch all 8 minutes of it? Did you remain interested?

He reminds me mostly of when I was taken to our suburban church in Pedmore as a kid, and there was always a different chartered accountant, solicitor or other local worthy stumbling over a sermon.

14 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Trying to keep an open mind on Starmer, but going to wait until the shadow cabinet is announced. The whispers about Rachel Reeves are not encouraging.

One thing I will say is I keep reading people, on here and out there, saying he 'looks like a PM' and arguing that he's a really strong orator, and I have to be honest, I don't really get it:

He reminds me mostly of when I was taken to our suburban church in Pedmore as a kid, and there was always a different chartered accountant, solicitor or other local worthy stumbling over a sermon.

He's trying to keep the Corbynistas on board, so he's speaking slowly

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

arguing that he's a really strong orator

I guess it depends what people are saying there.

Is he or will he ever be a good 'monologue to camera' speaker? I doubt it (no, I watched no more than 10 seconds of the video linked).

Will he be able to really rouse an audience at a rally? Possibly but I doubt it.

Is he, when I've seen him, a very good performer in the House of Commons (by which I mean actually debating and asking relevant questions and getting to the heart of a topic/subject rather than some of the more 'performance' aspects that often occur in there)? Yes, when I've watched him.

Edit: And that's where I want him to be good. You might say that this doesn't matter much in the country and you may be right but I'm not sure oratorial excellence is going to win an ellection (it certainly provided Johnson with no assistance as he's a dreadful orator).

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

He’s got 4 years to build a decent and competent team that don’t over promise, don’t scare the billionaire media men and to get on Laura Kuennsberg’s favoured contacts list.

So many massive projects he could win with. Pick a small number of them, start slow, ramp up.

Oven ready !

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I guess it depends what people are saying there.

Is he or will he ever be a good 'monologue to camera' speaker? I doubt it (no, I watched no more than 10 seconds of the video linked).

Will he be able to really rouse an audience at a rally? Possibly but I doubt it.

Is he, when I've seen him, a very good performer in the House of Commons (by which I mean actually debating and asking relevant questions and getting to the heart of a topic/subject rather than some of the more 'performance' aspects that often occur in there)? Yes, when I've watched him.

That seems a fair summary. I guess I'm skeptical how much it matters whether someone is 'forensic at this despatch box', given that essentially nobody watches proceedings in Parliament, but maybe if his backbenchers feel he's winning most weeks it will give them pause before giving scathing interviews about him to their favoured media outlets. Seems unlikely though.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Clement Attlee. The greatest  PM we have had, in my opinion.Looked and sounded like a bank manager. It’s not how they look or sound that counts, it’s what they do.

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That seems a fair summary. I guess I'm skeptical how much it matters whether someone is 'forensic at this despatch box', given that essentially nobody watches proceedings in Parliament, but maybe if his backbenchers feel he's winning most weeks it will give them pause before giving scathing interviews about him to their favoured media outlets. Seems unlikely though.

I think that backbenchers having more confidence in the party leader (and that will hopefully be helped by performances at the despatch box) at least allows the party leadership space to develop policies and concentrate on holding to account/attacking the government rather than shoring up powerbases within their own party.

Performances aat PMQs still make it on to the news and when we're back from all of this there will be many, many questions to be putting to the Prime Minister so there's a lot of space there.

Also, though the whole 'Westminster bubble' thing seems only to have been talked about in the last few years in a negative sense and that 'the people' have often been going against the perceived wisdom in these circles, politics at Westminster is still largely disseminated to 'the people' via those within the Westminster bubble (even the new, 'alternative' ones). It therefore matters whether they have confidence in the oppositions ability to be a proper opposition. It may not actually change the narrative of those who would never support the Labour party (though I think, unconsiously, it does have an effect) but it would certainly help those who might otherwise be disposed towards them no to have to criticize the Labour leadership for being more than a bit shit.

Obviously, all of this falls flat if Starmer and his new leadership team are, well, all a bit shit at being in charge of the oppositon. :)

• Like 1

Â