The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

8 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Wasn’t Starmer one of them ? He resigned as part of the push to replace Corbyn in 2016 didn’t he ? 

He did, but Jezza to his credit clearly got over that and put him back in a prominent position. Every MP who did that is tainted though (my local one is Stephen Doughty, the effing doughnut), which is why I considered RLB - but she was never going to convince the country. 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Stay in save lives .. except if you want to promote a class war on your first day in your new job .

The Tories have divided this country more in the last 4 years than any time I can remember. Divide and rule is their mantra.

Gardiner is a weird one in that his personal politics appear to be much closer to Starmer's than to Corbyn's, but the latter clearly relied on him as a point man in media communication, and the former seems not to rate him at all. Anyway, even if I'm probably not a million miles from Gardiner's politics overall, I can't be sad to see the back of an inexplicable Narendra Modi apologist.

Seems a fairly clean sweep , don’t know too much about most of them tbh , but wasn’t Nandy the one who said she wouldn’t take a front bench seat without the re-introduction of Shadow Cabinet elections ?

Before he got elected I heard little of Starmer, his ideology, voting trends etc.

On one hand I hear similarities to Blair, on other I hear momentum will still thrive.

Has anyone got a good link with info to share OR has a spare 5 minutes at the keyboard to summarise him?

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Before he got elected I heard little of Starmer, his ideology, voting trends etc.

On one hand I hear similarities to Blair, on other I hear momentum will still thrive.

Has anyone got a good link with info to share OR has a spare 5 minutes at the keyboard to summarise him?

They work for you.

Starmer is a Labour MP, and on the vast majority of issues votes the same way as other Labour MPs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/03/keir-starmer-sensible-radical

This from last week is the best one I've come across.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Momentum actually lost control of the NEC, which was quite a feat

Lisa Nandy (most right wing of the three) actually beat Long-Bailey (Most Left of the three) in the trade Union section of the vote

Essentially Momentum got kicked in the nads

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Essentially Momentum got kicked in the nads

I'm not sure momentum would have liked to be characterised by either male or female reproductive organs. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Starmer started life as a genuine Marxist - more than Corbyn ever was - but didn't remain like that for long. He was the Director of Public Prosecutions for several years during the noughties, a position which lends itself to making decisions that the press hate, and you will likely hear lots and lots of stories about his time there over the next few years.

He is generally considered to be somewhere in the middle of the party ideologically-speaking, but ran his leadership campaign in a rather sphinx-like fashion which made it hard to tell exactly what his opinions are on Labour hot-button issues. He defied traditional kremlinology by hiring advisers from both the left and right of the party, and mostly avoided saying much of substance, though the commitments he did make were mostly to keeping the main planks of especially the 2017 manifesto. I don't think he has many similarities to Blair, either in style or substance, and is likely to try to run things more collaboratively. He's also less likely to be spending his time persuading Labour members to accept planks of Tory orthodoxy in the way that Blair did.

I suspect that Momentum will end up starved of attention or funding, rather than proscribed, and that this will be a mistake, because he will face the same battering from the media that all Labour leaders not called Blair face, but then won't have any way of mobilising.

Starmer's problem is simple: on the one hand, Corbynite policies are popular among Labour members. A poll out over the weekend revealed more than 80% support for nationalising utilities, scrapping tuition fees, going carbon-neutral or near by 2030, removing tax breaks from private schools, and a higher top rate of income tax, and other left-wing policies also polled well (see: https://labourlist.org/2020/04/exclusive-labour-members-still-favour-radical-corbynite-policies-poll-finds/). On the other hand, there will be a lot of pressure from the party right, who are in now a better, though not dominant, position on the NEC, and from the media, to have a series of symbolic moments junking left-wing commitments and taking on supporters. He has to find a way to navigate that, while also coming up with a policy platform that the public like enough in a post-covid world. Tough gig.

Edited by HanoiVillan

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

though the commitments he did make were mostly to keeping the main planks of especially the 2017 manifesto. 

And he should be held to his 10 pledges, detailed on his website during the leadership election.  They are commitments I could get behind, but I do fear how generally he believes in them, or whether they were put out there simply to win. 

• Like 1

80% support for Corbynite policies would suggest a leadership win for LRB?

He’s got time on his side, and right now, simply has to be positive, supportive, and critical of tory policy. Much tory policy has swung Labour’s way due to necessity. People want credible opposition.

It is a tough gig. It’s also the opportunity of a lifetime. He needs to be talking NHS, railways, education, UBI.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

He needs to be talking NHS, railways, education, UBI.

+ fair & progressive taxation.  Use this opportunity to big up Patel's 'unskilled workers', the current saviours of our society. Fair pay for those at the bottom of the ladder etc

• Like 2

Â