The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

17 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

You have to weigh up, am I being trolled, or is someone genuinely finding something difficult.

We have vast swathes of the country where internet access or speeds are not sufficient for modern business. They aren’t sufficient for decent access to education. It’s too expensive for access for all. Something that is becoming essential for benefits claims, is too expensive and too inaccessible, for benefits claimants. It has become a necessity, a utility. 

There is an offer to invest massively in infrastructure that will help us compete in a world we are making deliberately harder for ourselves. We are supposed to be looking for new international business opportunities, but we can’t use basic contactless payment in large areas of the country. 

There is a proposal on the table to provide this new utility for all. It’s ambitious and its positive.

Such a small minded mean spirited Conservative I’m alright Jack view of the world to not want that rolled out to everyone everywhere.

Hear, hear. :thumb:

Edited by snowychap

I can't believe Labour are going for free internet, privatise anything and everything, and yet with with only 26 days to  go, haven't decided if Free Movement of people as voted on at the party conference, is going into their manifesto. 

I was given to understand that Brexit was one of the biggest issues. And they haven't yet got a position on immigration?

22 minutes ago, colhint said:

I can't believe Labour are going for free internet, privatise anything and everything, and yet with with only 26 days to  go, haven't decided if Free Movement of people as voted on at the party conference, is going into their manifesto. 

I was given to understand that Brexit was one of the biggest issues. And they haven't yet got a position on immigration?

Have you seen or heard Smirky Patel’s stance on immigration?

I’ll summarise it for you: I will not say if its going up or down but it will be controlled. It might be controlled up, it could be controlled down, the important thing is control. As long as we have control and end free movement, then who comes in and how many doesn’t matter. We will be in control and free movement will have ended, the numbers, up or down or where they are from, less important. Control.

It’s bollocks from both teams.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Britain's fibre network is laughable compared to like states.

I think the Netherlands is good also but this is due to the size of the country i suspect and the fact that it is laughably easy to lay stuff as everywhere is flat.

I have 500 Mb download max at the moment in a poxy seaside village here NL for comparison to you guys.

Just a thought (I have no axe to grind its just a possible different way to deliver it.  I am not on anyone side so too speak)  , IMO Labour would have been better to say to the telecoms,  we want 99 % fast internet in the UK by X or we nationalize the internet on date Z.  This a) forces them to do it b) improves innovation and efficiencies as they will undoubtedly have to work together to get it done (Telecoms).  

Doesn't that make more sense? Sometimes we want more immigration, sometimes less, but free movement will end. As opposed to abolish immigration centres and extend free movement.

One says end free movement and the other says extend free movement. 

The bit I cant understand though, if it was agreed at party conference and not in the manifesto, how many people will believe them. People will have a field day with this.

It does somewhat say something, I think, that the prospect of government investment in a piece of infrastructure that the country is embarrassed by many comparable nations worldwide in, is met with derision, pearl clutching and hysterical catastrophising.

Playing devil’s advocate here but could the same not be said for HS2?

• Like 1

It does somewhat say something, I think, that the prospect of government investment in a piece of infrastructure that the country is embarrassed by many comparable nations worldwide in, is met with derision, pearl clutching and hysterical catastrophising.

Wouldn't go that far. 

Big infrastructure investments isn't something I have an issue with. But we can't take this policy in isolation, Labour are pledging to nationalise pretty much everything they can, that's the problem for me. There's seemingly no limit to the spending they are pledging. The reality is that they will not be able to spend at the levels they are promising. They are in a fantasy and it is tantamount to lying IMO. 

1 hour ago, colhint said:

They're holding the meeting to finalise the contents of the manfesto over this weekend. You'll know whether free movement is in it by tomorrow night or Monday morning.

45 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The concept of a national electrified high speed rail network is sound.

The planning and delivery are botchery.

The budget will be gone way before it's anything like finished.

It's another public risk for private profit venture.

• Like 4

I think that was my point. So close to the election, and they cant really say one way or another. This should have been decided yonks ago. And what if they say no to freedom of movement? Everyone will say well that's not how the party voted at conference.

12 hours ago, Chindie said:

Spot on

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I think the Netherlands is good also but this is due to the size of the country i suspect and the fact that it is laughably easy to lay stuff as everywhere is flat.

I have 500 Mb download max at the moment in a poxy seaside village here NL for comparison to you guys.

Just a thought (I have no axe to grind its just a possible different way to deliver it.  I am not on anyone side so too speak)  , IMO Labour would have been better to say to the telecoms,  we want 99 % fast internet in the UK by X or we nationalize the internet on date Z.  This a) forces them to do it b) improves innovation and efficiencies as they will undoubtedly have to work together to get it done (Telecoms).  

Yeah but the Netherlands is just generally awesome and the UK is just generally not ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

There's nothing inherently wrong with investing in a high-speed railway line, again the British rail system is barely fit for purpose and HS2 is an attempt to add capacity to the system whilst upgrading things.

The problem with HS2 is how botched the planning and implementation has been. Could that happen with a nationalised broadband system? Of course. Does that mean don't do it? No.

• Like 1

Throwing it out there if it was done properly HS2 could be very good for the construction industry and economy post brexit ( paraphrasing "you build roads out of a recession") but as with most huge projects with government money they will royally **** it up, I can go long and boring about feasibility studies and cost planning meaning the budget stuff is nonsense 

Not sure who the contractors are, I know skanska has done a lot around London, there was a lot of head hunting for roles in the Midlands but I'm not sure for which company

I've attended a few construction West midland seminars and forums talking about the level of construction investment that is following the train, its incredible, billions being piled in to brum because of it 

My problem with that cartoon is the belief that as soon as we abolish our armed forces / scrapped our nuke policy we would be nuked by the likes of iran

Of course we wouldn't 

Its a complete waste of **** money but we want our place at that top table 

Edited by villa4europe

4 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

. They are in a fantasy and it is tantamount to lying IMO. 

Telling the country you’re the party of monetary good sense whilst endorsing Brexit and doubling the national debt - that actually is lying.

But to be fair, we hold the tories, and Johnson in particular, to a less rigorous standard when it come to lies.

The man can’t breath without a new dumb lie being belched out. 

Â