The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't know how you can possibly hope to achieve equality if the very fundamentals of early-life education are not set on equal terms.

Whichever way you spin it, public vs private education essentially boils down to the haves and have-nots......further strengthening divisions in society.

Ultimately the goal should be equality of opportunity rather than equality of outcome. 

We certainly don't have a society of true equality of opportunity and to fix that it would require some fairly radical policies RE education and inheritance. It's ultimately impossible to do but the best that can be done is to narrow the gap somewhat, it can never be closed.

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Absolutely correct but you'll never win the battle whilst the current LA Controlled education is so bad. That needs fixing first. That is the starting block, you can't attempt to force more children into an already overloaded and failing system

Maybe but then the type of people who would push for reform are the same people who instead send kids off to private/boarding schools so it’s never going to improve when the better informed, better resourced and better educated people refuse to have their children mingling with the ‘peasants of society’.

It’s a really difficult and complex situation, there is no quick fix, there is no easy solution.  

What we could do though, as a starting point, is stop ploughing trillions of £££ into building state of the art warships with new nuclear missiles that will never be used in anger and pump that straight into improving school facilities and hiring more, better trained staff.

But then I guess it depends on where you think the priorities should lie.

Just to add to this - if we were able to get it 'right' at school education level just consider the impact on society, it's no surprise that there's often a direct correlation between petty crime and under-education, or such things as making a stupid decision in a referendum....... the benefits could/would be felt across all aspects of society.....I'm not saying it would eradicate crime or anti-social behavior because it won't entirely, but it can't not help to mitigate it and quite significantly I think.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Hostile crowd on the BBC  even if momentum clearly smuggled a few fan boys in .... 

Therein lies your reason ;) 

On that note, how on Earth are there so many Scots in Sheffield?!

It is though reminding me why I loathe question time. I watch the Green Party one earlier which was from Wolverhampton. All it showed was that people are completely stubborn on everything and are completely unwilling to listen and/or compromise. 

2 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Therein lies your reason ;) 

On that note, how on Earth are there so many Scots in Sheffield?!

It is though reminding me why I loathe question time. I watch the Green Party one earlier which was from Wolverhampton. All it showed was that people are completely stubborn on everything and are completely unwilling to listen and/or compromise. 

I kinda knew the BBC bias line was coming :) , was gonna to wait and see how the other 3 get treated before I could comment ... 

but yeah , the sort of people in that audience would never be described as impartial I’m fairly sure 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I kinda knew the BBC bias line was coming :) , was gonna to wait and see how the other 3 get treated before I could comment ... 

but yeah , the sort of people in that audience would never be described as impartial I’m fairly sure 

Very true, Nicola Sturgeon getting a more positive response, certainly more than I was expecting to be fair. 

The BBC are a disgrace, couldn’t watch the last debate because it clashed with Wales vs Hungary.

This time, QT clashes with Barry Town vs Penybont.

Could somebody do me a favour as I can’t be there, could you heckle anyone suggesting we help the poor or the homeless.

Cheers.

• Haha 2

Just now, cyrusr said:

Very true, Nicola Sturgeon getting a more positive response, certainly more than I was expecting to be fair. 

Thing is she has nothing really to say to most of the audience ( or viewers back home ) so there isn’t really anything to be hostile to her about policy wise ...her agenda is leave the Uk , I have no say on that so I m not wasting my time talking back to the TV like I did with Corbyn :) 

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Thing is she has nothing really to say to most of the audience ( or viewers back home ) so there isn’t really anything to be hostile to her about policy wise ...her agenda is leave the Uk , I have no say on that so I m not wasting my time talking back to the TV like I did with Corbyn :) 

True. It has taken her 20 minutes to talk about something else... 

3 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just to add to this - if we were able to get it 'right' at school education level just consider the impact on society, it's no surprise that there's often a direct correlation between petty crime and under-education[omitted]....... the benefits could/would be felt across all aspects of society.....I'm not saying it would eradicate crime or anti-social behavior because it won't entirely, but it can't not help to mitigate it and quite significantly I think.

I've excised the potentially contentious bit but as for the rest, I think you're spot on.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Good on the lady for fighting back.

"Liverpool pensioner Audrey White"

Former member of Militant Audrey White would be more accurate, she's no little old lady, she's a lifelong Trot. So much so Glenda Jackson played her in Business as Usual

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

"Liverpool pensioner Audrey White"

Former member of Militant Audrey White would be more accurate, she's no little old lady, she's a lifelong Trot. So much so Glenda Jackson played her in Business as Usual

I don't think that gives the press carte blanche to lie about her.

33 minutes ago, bobzy said:

She's not a pensioner, then?

I'd say that is irrelevant, it's a term used to illicit a sympathetic response and has absolutely no bearing on the story

This is someone who has been expelled by Labour in the past and even under the current regime has been warned about her future conduct.

Â