The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

That whole argument just makes me so mad. I have an uncle that’s very “old labour” who won’t vote for starmers labour because he doesn’t think it’s “proper labour”.

It’s a childish and pathetic attitude. Even if you believe this labour incarnation is far from perfect, and many do, even those not on the hard left, it’s surely better than the pure evil we have now?

I genuinely think there’s an element that wants to burn the whole house down because they aren’t happy with the wallpaper.

Politicians deserve a vote because they offer something that you want. If they deserve a vote because it’s the least shitest  option them folks are within their rights to abstain. Politicians often abstain themselves. 

• Like 1

So wait a minute. People are crying ‘liar’ and ‘hypocrite’ about Starmer and Raynor but they didn’t break any laws at all? Not even ‘not aware of breaking any laws’ but actual legal behaviour that wasn’t against any laws made. So what are the Tories and smooth brains getting antsy about exactly? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Politicians deserve a vote because they offer something that you want. If they deserve a vote because it’s the least shitest  option them folks are within their rights to abstain. Politicians often abstain themselves. 

I get that, but I think people should also think about removing those that harm the country.

If you wanted a boat trip to see some dolphins but, once out to sea you found that your options were no dolphins and a safe journey to shore, or getting attacked by a great white, you wouldn't simply abstain, would you?

I agree there should be better options, but there's merit in ensuring the worst option isn't a reality too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's true, and there are lots of situations where I think it's a philosophy that works perfectly well. This Labour party don't offer a lot that I want, I'd love for there to be a more genuine alternative to the ideologies that we've been afflicted with for decades and it does give me a little bit of a twitch knowing I'll be voting for the least shitty option and even more of a twitch when I realise I might actually be voting for the second least shitty option.

But, I feel like we're in a restaurant where we're offered a pizza with olives or a big plate of cat shit, I don't like olives, but I'm not prepared to let someone else make that decision for me - if I have to eat the cat shit I'm going to be unwell. I'm not voting for the least shitty option, I'm voting against a most shitty option that's the shittiest of shitpiles - it might not be the glowing principles on which democracies are founded, but it's absolutely necessary.

And hey, if we can remove the threat of the big pile of shit, then there will be plenty of time to start picking the olives off that pizza, or maybe swap a slice or two for something we really like - it'll be easier to change the pizza than it is to do anything with the slop that is this Tory party.

I'm going to vote for something I'm not overly keen on, it's not principled, it's not heroic, it's an act of passive aggression because what we should really be doing involves pitchforks and flaming torches. 

I’m not sure what we should be doing involves pitchforks and flaming torches, actually. The whole purpose of voting is to ensure nobody gets to do the pitchfork thing, because it’s generally better for society to appoint people based on who has the most votes as opposed to the most pitchforks (or is best at using them).

There’s always groups that don’t feel represented by the current political system.

Edited by Panto_Villan

3 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I’m not sure what we should be doing involves pitchforks and flaming torches, actually. The whole purpose of voting is to ensure nobody gets to do the pitchfork thing, because it’s generally better for society to appoint people based on who has the most votes as opposed to the most pitchforks (or is best at using them).

There’s always groups that don’t feel represented by the current political system.

And then there’s groups that can’t afford food and heating, then there’s the groups above them that are slowly falling into that category and then there’s the group above them that are usually ok but maybe have to start using food banks, then there’s the group that got **** over tax and benefits wise based on their disability who ended up killing themselves.

But it would be worse under Labour lol. 

• Like 1

Whoever is in wouldn't make a great deal of difference to my life but I cannot stand the fact that we are being governed by a corrupt sleezy, nasty, heartless, detestable, lying bunch of crooks as this lot. Not sure how Labour can dig us out of this hole but I'll wager MOST people will be better off and less stressed out with them then this buch of *******.

• Like 2

Absolutely detest the Daily Mail, they are now claiming with 4 Tory MP sources (unnamed of course) that Rayner spoke of flashing her parts as a tactic in a jokey way on the Commons bar terrace. I suspect they're full of shit - but when Labour is capable of lying about other things then it undermines everything going forwards - so I now doubt Rayner's account of the situation and can believe she was actually the source of the whole story - it simply would not surprise me. 

This won’t hurt Labour with moderate voters next week. It’s interesting how much the political eco-movement aligns with other policy preferences of the very hard left. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Awol said:

This won’t hurt Labour with moderate voters next week. It’s interesting how much the political eco-movement aligns with other policy preferences of the very hard left. 

Eh?

On 30/04/2022 at 07:57, Panto_Villan said:

If your view is that Starmer isn’t left enough and you’d rather continue with the Tories in power than see him elected then just say that.

I want neither to win, and will vote for neither.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly where i am. Labour have had numerous scandals in the past (not as bad as boris and his corrupt government but still there has been)

Political change is needed. The two main parties are unelectable in my view. Both need cleaning up

• Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 01:03, HanoiVillan said:

On 02/05/2022 at 09:31, Demitri_C said:

Exactly where i am. Labour have had numerous scandals in the past (not as bad as boris and his corrupt government but still there has been)

Political change is needed. The two main parties are unelectable in my view. Both need cleaning up

Sigh.

Edit:  Just to clarify, obviously nothing wrong with voting for whoever you want to vote for.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

Â