Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Part of the reason Richards signed is because Sherwood wanted to play him in the centre. 

If the rest of the team is strengthened, especially midfield cover for a wandering full back then Hutton and Bacuna all of a sudden will look like better players anyway. Richards can obviously play there too so if we're buying a right back he'd have to be a lot better than Hutton and Bacuna or there would be little to no point.

I assume Richards is right back?

Richards there with Hutton and Bacuna as back up is plenty.

It's been pretty well documented that he'll more than likely play centre half
When was this?

I'd be pretty disappointed if we signed a player who hasn't even played much in his natural position the last few years to be a starter in a different position.

If so, I need someone to explain to me all the optimism regarding the signing of richards. As a central defender, he'd be very expensive back up to clark and okore. He might have potential in that position but he shouldn't be a starter for the season.

Honestly haven't seen anyone of note mention him playing at right back. In fact didn't Montella say he couldn't play right back in a back 5?

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood. Right side of a central 3?

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 1

I assume Richards is right back?

Richards there with Hutton and Bacuna as back up is plenty.

It's been pretty well documented that he'll more than likely play centre half

Source?

You may be right, I was out of the country when he signed so I missed a lot of stuff that was written/said at that point.

But I haven't read much, if anything, since to say he'll be (predominantly) a CB.

Edited by Stevo985

As others have posted above at the time of the deal one of the factors he wanted to come was that he'd get a chance playing centre half. All you need to do is look at the articles, while it was all press saying about him playing there every article I saw had him moving to the middle.

Richards himself has always stated he wants to play there but due to him being athletic he was mostly played as a right back.

Edited by mightysasquatch

So are we saying that the plan is going to be a back three of Richards, Clark, Okore with wing backs of Bacuna on the right and possibly Amavi (if signed) on the other side offering width going forward?.

So are we saying that the plan is going to be a back three of Richards, Clark, Okore with wing backs of Bacuna on the right and possibly Amavi (if signed) on the other side offering width going forward?.

Seems to be the common opinion yes but who knows.

There's also the idea of having a back four with shanchez or Westwood along with Gueye sitting with delph & these two number 10 roles Sherwood likes. Then width again from the fullbacks.

Edited by mightysasquatch
  • Like 1

As others have posted above at the time of the deal one of the factors he wanted to come was that he'd get a chance playing centre half. All you need to do is look at the articles, while it was all press saying about him playing there every article I saw had him moving to the middle.

Richards himself has always stated he wants to play there but due to him being athletic he was mostly played as a right back.

Fair enough.

I've googled it and the only article I could find that mentioned him playing at centre half was The Guardian, and they only mentioned it in the headline, there were no quotes in the article.

I'll have to take your word for it

I wouldn't have minded us taking Christian Fuchs on a free, to play left back.

For what it is worth, I hope that Leicester City now buy Rod Fanni to play right back and give him the next squad number up from Christian Fuchs. You can just imagine the commentary:

"Leicester City line up with Schmeichel, Fuchs, Fanni.........." :o

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 3

Fair enough.

I've googled it and the only article I could find that mentioned him playing at centre half was The Guardian, and they only mentioned it in the headline, there were no quotes in the article.

I'll have to take your word for it

On the OS there were quotes from Sherwood saying he liked him cos he could cover RB but was a good CB in a back 4 or as part of a back 5.

• Like 1

For what it is worth, I hope that Leicester City now buy Rod Fanni to play right back and give him the next squad number up from Christian Fuchs. You can just imagine the commentary:

For Fuchs Sake!! - is he any good? - we need fuching quality not quantity!  :P

• Like 1

For Fuchs Sake!! - is he any good? - we need fuching quality not quantity!  :P

Schmeichel Fuchs Fanni.

that is all.

I've just read were linked with a wonderkid (i've never heard of) called Breel Embolo to replace Benteke. In fairness his name would fit the Benteke song.

Where did you hear that?

Aston Villa are keen on Swiss wonderkid Breel Embolo as a replacement for Christian Benteke.

Villa’s top-scorer Benteke, who has a £32.5million exit clause, is expected to move to Liverpool this summer.

And Villa are scouring Europe for another striker to replace their talisman.

They have identified Basle’s £10million-rated teenager Embolo as a possible replacement.

Cameroon-born Embolo, 18, has already been capped three times by the Swiss national team and is highly-rated.

Last term he managed 17 goals and 13 assists in 42 appearances in all competitions , including the Champions League.

Like Benteke he is good in the air and has scored some impressive goals. Embolo is being monitored by several bigs clubs and Villa are prepared to move quickly if Benteke goes - as expected.

Villa boss Tim Sherwood is not afraid of using young players as he showed at Spurs where he gave Harry Kane his breakthrough.

It raises the possibility of Sherwood switching to 3-5-2 next term as Villa have plenty of centre-backs in Micah Richards, Ciaran Clark, Nathan Baker, Jores Okore and Philipe Senderos.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-eye-swiss-wonderkid-6020277