Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Really happy with the business done so far, feels like the best window we've had in years (at the moment anyway, time will tell).

Am I right in thinking if we sign Veretout for around £8m and Gestede for £6m that we've roughly broken even net spend wise?

Really happy with the business done so far, feels like the best window we've had in years (at the moment anyway, time will tell).

Am I right in thinking if we sign Veretout for around £8m and Gestede for £6m that we've roughly broken even net spend wise?

Sounds about right.

Sounds about right.

Nice. I know the whole net spend thing can annoy, but it's nice to think that maybe there's a stash of £10m or so which we haven't touched yet (ignoring any future exits, baker etc).

Sounds about right.

Nice. I know the whole net spend thing can annoy, but it's nice to think that maybe there's a stash of £10m or so which we haven't touched yet (ignoring any future exits, baker etc).

Net spend is only annoying if people are using it to evaluate a manager in the transfer window. Nothing wrong with looking at it to gauge the level of interest the owner has in the team.

GK: Guzan, Bunn (2)

RB: Hutton, Bacuna, Crespo (3)

LB: Amavi, Bennett, Richardson (3-1=2 because Amavi is officially under 21)

CB: Okore, Clark, Richards, Senderos, New Guy That's Been Hinted At (5)

MC: Westwood, Sanchez, Gueye, Gardner, Veretout (5)

AM: Sinclair, Grealish, Ayew, N'Zogbia, Cole (5-1=4 because Grealish is under 21)

ST: Adebayor, Agbonlahor, Kozak, Gestede (4)

Makes a squad of 25, assuming we say goodbye to Cissokho, and Baker. Obviously if we sold e.g. N'Zogbia we could keep e.g. Cissokho.

Home-grown: Bunn, Bennett, Richardson, Clark, Richards, Westwood, Gardner, Cole, Sinclair, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor. That's eleven, we need at least eight.

Obvious weak link here is depth in centre half. Wonder who Timmy has lined up there.

Edit: thanks, VILLAMARV!

Edited by Enda

LB: Amavi, Bennett, Richardson (3)

CB: Okore, Clark, Richards, New Guy That's Been Hinted At (4)

AM: Sinclair, Grealish, Ayew, N'Zogbia, Cole (5-1=4 because Grealish is under 21)

Makes a squad of 25, assuming we say goodbye to Cissokho, Baker and Senderos. Obviously if we sold e.g. N'Zogbia we could keep e.g. Senderos.

Home-grown: Bunn, Bennett, Richardson, Clark, Richards, Westwood, Gardner, Cole, Sinclair, N'Zogbia, Agbonlahor. That's eleven, we need at least eight.

Obvious weak link here is depth in centre half. Wonder who Timmy has lined up there.

Amavi doesnt need to be registered this year as he turned 21 after the 1st Jan 2015 so he counts as an U21 :)

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong lads, but here is how I see our current Depth chart (only players signed/of note are mentioned):

GK:

Guzan

Bunn

Steer

RB:

Bacuna

Hutton

CB:

Richards - Clark

Okore - Crespo

Baker - Senderos

LB:

Amavi

Richardson

Cissokho

DM/BTB:

Gueye

Sanchez

Westwood

Gardner

Herd

AM/W:

Grealish

Gil

Sinclair

N'Zogbia

Cole

ST:

Ayew

Kozak

Agbonlahor

I fully expect us to sign Gestede and potentially Adebayor, which is definitely needed as we are light on for strikers if we want to play two up top. Also a chance we sign Veretout, which I believe is desperately needed as well. 

I see everyone saying we need another CB. I don't think we do, at all. We have three PAIRINGS on our books. That is more than enough cover surely. I wholeheartedly believe that Micah will be played as a CB for the duration of his time here as well. I think that's the plan and I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. Based on that, I really think we need a quality RB before we need another CB. I'd also like to see us beef up our midfield, with another Winger/Attacking mid, and another Box to Box, but I feel as though they are less of a priority. After that I'd be looking at another Keeper. 

But for all the cries of another CB, I don't think it's justified (obviously you wouldn't say no, but I feel a RB should be more of a priority).

I'm going to be excited because all of you are excited, but really I've absolutely no idea what any of this means for how good we'll be next season. It is exciting though. Tell me more about how this Veretout guy is incredible. It's just I was over on Foxestalk, and they're all saying how their two new CMs are going to be the best thing ever. And they've got similarly exciting names too. How can we be sure that we're right and they're less right? We can't all finish 12th.

No one truly knows anything as every player on the Continent could fail super hard in the Premier League but Veretout is a highly rated player that Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool had on their radar. While Kante was also wanted by Arsenal I personally believe we got the better deal as Veretout plays a far more technical and attacking game, though both players are quality. Personally though what we're seeing at Leicester is a case of adapt or be disappointed, we did the same a few seasons back when we thought Coutinho was bang on to happen and we had to get excited and talk up Sylla instead. End of the day Kante and Veretour could be absolute shite, but I do believe we got the vastly more gifted of the two whether that counts for much in our fast paced and physical league is yet to be seen. 

Edited by Daweii

FW

Think we need 2 more strikers - If thats Adebayor and Gestede then so be it. They can fight it out with Kozak for the central role.

With Gabby, Ayew, Grealish, Sinclair, Gil and Cole I reckon we're looking pretty well stocked in the AM / wide forward dept for a change. Nzogbia and Tonev just have to go.

MF

I think we're woefully short in midfield if he's thinking of playing 3 across the middle as per the last few years. We're an injury away from Gardner being relied on atm. Maybe Mason and Calder are amazing and Tim knows something. If Veretout signs I'd still like another midfielder. Not convinced by Bacuna or Richardson being used in MF either myself though they both provide handy cover on the bench. In fact Veretout better sign coz at the moment our back up plan is --Richardson--Gardner--Bacuna--  and that's relegation fodder right there!! Mind you Westwood--Sanchez--Gueye hardly looks like a great midfield either if I'm honest. Looks like last seasons midfield with Delph injured and Gueye in for Cleverley. Links to squad fillers like Carroll worry me a little, it's quality we need here. Basically, having lost Cleverley and Delph this summer then signing Gueye and (hopefully) Veretout feels a bit like treading water to me, even if they're considered upgrades.

DF

Looks like everyone rates Amavi, Cissokho's time is up and Bennett gets a reprive. Richardson being handy cover again. On the right it's a bit unclear huh? Hutton - easily our best player at the start of last season (imo! lol) just cant cross, Richards who could so be the answer doesn't seem to be being used as a RB for us at this moment in time, Angel Crespo might well play there but nobody is really sure about where he's going to play and Bacuna's being handy cover here again but surely isn't the first choice plan however good his free kicks are and unlike hutton he can cross, Just not defend.

At CB, Richards/Okore/Clark are all here to stay. Senderos, Baker and Donacien not so much. Maybe Angel Crespo is a CB really?

GK

As for the Keepers god only knows what he's thinking but id be more than happy with Guzan No1 with Bunn No2 and Steer out on loan. Amazed to find Seigrist still on the books and @23 he surely cant be part of the U21's any more?? so do something with him too - loan or sell. Think he's coming back from a broken leg.

At the moment thats 28 players (Amavi and Grealish being classed as U21's this year) - If we get the triple signing we're all waiting for then we need 6 players to leave just to make enough room to fit Veretout, Adebayor and Gestede into the 25 man squad. For me Seigrist, Donacien, Baker, Cissokho, Nzogbia and Tonev look like the fall guys.

After that it's going to be one in/one out or we go shopping for nippers

LB: Amavi, Bennett, Richardson (3-1=2 because Amavi is officially under 21)

CB: Okore, Clark, Richards, Senderos, New Guy That's Been Hinted At (5)

Makes a squad of 25, assuming we say goodbye to Cissokho, and Baker. Obviously if we sold e.g. N'Zogbia we could keep e.g. Cissokho.

Edit: thanks, VILLAMARV!

Need a few out. Squad requiring registration will be at 30 once the three proposed deals go through.