Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Right.

Guzan is a top keeper. The best we've had in ages.

STOP saying we need to replace him / buy a new keeper. There are 8/9 other areas of the pitch we need to look at before even contemplating replacing Guzan.

He's a brilliant keeper.

Absolutely spot on. Guzan is an excellent shot stopper, and brilliant at coming out to claim the ball from crossess and corners.

Ok, his distribution is very average at best but no goalie is perfect. Outside the top 6, Guzan will hold his own against any other keeper.

He is the least of our worries in terms of transfers.

I actually think he's better than Mignolet and Ospina to go one further.

The only reason Guzan isn't considered 'brilliant' is because he plays for Villa. He would very much hold his own in the top teams around Europe.

The least of our worries.

One wonders, then, why the top teams around Europe aren't bidding for him? Arsenal are looking for a new keeper, and he's younger than Cech. Real Madrid are looking for a new keeper, and he'd be cheaper and easier to get than De Gea. He's been dropped by Sherwood, so you'd think we would probably entertain a big enough bid. And yet mysteriously, the phone doesn't seem to be ringing off the hook.

You know why? Because he's not brilliant. He is a perfectly average Premier League goalkeeper, not the best, not the worst, somewhere in the middle. By the standards of his peers, who are the only worthwhile people to compare him against, he isn't brilliant.

Name me two or more goalie in this league who takes the ball better then Guzan in the Premier League.

And then, think back and ask yourself how many world class saves Guzan has made. I can think of a couple.

Then think about where we would be if we didn't have Brad Guzan for the last 3 seasons.

Lastly, think about the crap defenders he has had infront of him for the past couple of seasons.

He is brilliant at some aspects in his game.

• Like 3

Just seen we have been cut from 20/1 to 2/1 to sign Asmir Begovic surely that's not true

My step Dad works for Coral - he says bookies do all sorts of shit to get people to bet. They love slashing odds on things they know are unlikely to come off, then they get a surge of punters betting. 

It's ridiculous how many people blindly follow the opinions of the current manager.

The ratings of the likes of Guzan and Gil have dropped dramatically since Sherwood has been in charge and not given them much of a chance.

yep

people despised Hutton, then he started playing and he was suddenly ok, whereas in truth he always was ok/average just made some shocking tackles

even players like Ireland who have done ok elsewhere were hated with such bile because they were not in favour.

same with Bent, not saying they are good players either but come on be a bit more balanced about it

Gil/Sinclair are rubbish based on a few performances because they are not playing

we don't have to blindly follow the manager on everything

Send Gil out on loan. Only paid 3 mil for him and we know he's good. Sherwood may not be playing him but thats definitely not because he's shit - I think it's because he doesn't suit the style, or didn't when we were scrapping away from relegation. It would be smart to loan him out and sell him on for profit. 

Right.

STOP saying we need to replace him / buy a new keeper. There are 8/9 other areas of the pitch we need to look at before even contemplating replacing Guzan.

He's a brilliant keeper.

Absolutely spot on. Guzan is an excellent shot stopper, and brilliant at coming out to claim the ball from crossess and corners.

Ok, his distribution is very average at best but no goalie is perfect. Outside the top 6, Guzan will hold his own against any other keeper.

The only reason Guzan isn't considered 'brilliant' is because he plays for Villa. He would very much hold his own in the top teams around Europe.

One wonders, then, why the top teams around Europe aren't bidding for him? Arsenal are looking for a new keeper, and he's younger than Cech. Real Madrid are looking for a new keeper, and he'd be cheaper and easier to get than De Gea. He's been dropped by Sherwood, so you'd think we would probably entertain a big enough bid. And yet mysteriously, the phone doesn't seem to be ringing off the hook.

You know why? Because he's not brilliant. He is a perfectly average Premier League goalkeeper, not the best, not the worst, somewhere in the middle. By the standards of his peers, who are the only worthwhile people to compare him against, he isn't brilliant.

Name me two or more goalie in this league who takes the ball better then Guzan in the Premier League.

And then, think back and ask yourself how many world class saves Guzan has made. I can think of a couple.

Then think about where we would be if we didn't have Brad Guzan for the last 3 seasons.

Lastly, think about the crap defenders he has had infront of him for the past couple of seasons.

I'd go as far as to say without him and Benteke the last 3 years, we'd be long gone now.

He's been brilliant for us. One small error and he's dropped. I like Sherwood but his treatment of Gil and Guzan has pissed me off. 

• Like 3

Instead of sending Gil out on loan why not use him as part of the first team squad?

And as for replacing Guzan - we have more urgent positions to fill with quality players before we should even consider a new keeper.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 3

Instead of sending Gil out on loan why not use him as part of the first team squad?

And as for replacing Guzan - we have more urgent positions to fill with quality players before we should even consider a new keeper.

Or just put him in the team because he's easily good enough?

• Like 2

Right.

He's a brilliant keeper.

World Class saves, have a word with yourself. He was poor last season and to make out he was some kind of saviour is absurd. I can't remember a save Guzan made last season that I thought wow what a keeper. His kicking is the worst in the league of goalkeepers, never have i seen so many goal kicks end up out of play. I agree we have more pressing issues to resolve and where we are currently, another season with Guzan will suffice,  but to make him out to be better than us is ridiculous.

Edited by SikhInTrinity

Right.

He's a brilliant keeper.

World Class saves, have a word with yourself. He was poor last season and to make out he was some kind of saviour is absurd. I can't remember a save Guzan made last season that I thought wow what a keeper. His kicking is the worst in the league of goalkeepers, never have i seen so many goal kicks end up out of play. I agree we have more pressing issues to resolve and where we are Guzan for another season me suffice but to make him out to be better than us is ridiculous.

I'll see you in the Brad Guzan thread in 5.

It's on.

I love Guzan, but he hasn't made world class saves in a while and for me it wasn't just the mistakes, it was the fact he had stopped saving anything. The Guzan of 2-3 years ago was pulling out saves that he had no right to do. He kept us up. The save from Samba against QPR for instance.

...but it got to the point this season that any old shot was hitting the back of the net. He is a good keeper though, more than good enough for us and with a better, more settled team he will come through it and get back to his old form. I hope we don't sign another keeper.

Though, I think some people have bigged up him a bit too much here,

• Like 2

I love Guzan, but he hasn't made world class saves in a while and for me it wasn't just the mistakes, it was the fact he had stopped saving anything. The Guzan of 2-3 years ago was pulling out saves that he had no right to do. He kept us up. The save from Samba against QPR for instance.

...but it got to the point this season that any old shot was hitting the back of the net. He is a good keeper though, more than good enough for us and with a better, more settled team he will come through it and get back to his old form. I hope we don't sign another keeper.

Though, I think some people have bigged up him a bit too much here,

Spot on!

Right.

He's a brilliant keeper.

I wanted to answer this question statistically, and after a bit of searching I found this blog post, which is the only place I can find comprehensive datasets about Premier League goalkeepers:

http://www.sportingintelligence.com/2015/06/11/sommer-pips-neuer-and-buffon-as-best-moneyball-keeper-as-de-gea-intrigue-continues-110601/

The guy attempts to statistically analyse all of the goalkeepers who played more than 15 games in Europe's 5 biggest leagues. The results are contained in a spreadsheet you can download if you follow the link. He says:

'So who are the best goalkeepers in Europe, objectively speaking?'

'An attempt to answer that in this piece of statistical analysis throws up some interesting possibilities, based on a ‘Safe Hands’ rating (SHR) that considers the measurable parts of a goalkeeper’s job.'

. . . 

'For the position of goalkeeper, however, the irksome task of quantifying individual performances is dramatically eased. A solid 50 per cent of a goalkeeper’s four main responsibilities – making saves, claiming crosses, organising the defence and distribution – are fairly easily quantifiable, and those are the first two: saves and crosses.'

'It is probably impossible to objectively assess the defensive organisational skills of a goalkeeper because the whole team, and particularly the back four, are accountable for a team’s defending, whilst any serious attempt at determining whether a distributive throw or a kick has been ‘good’ or not relies to a degree upon the heading and positional prowess of a goalkeeper’s outfield team-mates.'

'As far as shot-stopping and cross collection are concerned, however, the issues are fewer and further between. It turns out to be actually quite easy to compare goalkeepers based upon the proportion of saves they make for every shot they face, and upon the proportion of crosses that they successfully catch. The model used here also factors in punches, rating them worse than a catch but better than a failed claim.'

In answer to your first demand, about being 'dominant in the air', the following goalkeepers all claimed a higher percentage of crosses and punched less frequently than Guzan:

Forster / Courtois / Begovic / De Gea / Foster / Heaton / Adrian / Pantilimon

In answer to the request for world class saves, I accept that of course he has made some, though in my view there have been fewer than in previous seasons. 

As far as crap defenders go, those don't affect his save percentage or percentage of crosses claimed or whatever. 

I'm not saying you have to accept this analysis, and of course you can do anything with statistics, but what I am trying to show is that on none of these metrics does Guzan stand out from his peers. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3

can we just sign someone with a glorious beard already preferably from sweden jeez.....

jimmy.jpg

Jimmy Durmaz? currently plays for Olympiakos and Sweden

He needs to let it grow. Would be a beast if he didn't have it at the hipster length. Been growing mine two years now....it makes up 12.5% of my bodily mass now haha

Seems Helenius is the next to leave. The agent has confirmed he has talked with people at the club and is now negotiating with other clubs.

But there may actually be a clarification already before the agreement officially expires. According to Ekstra Bladet information it is just a matter of time before Helenius has been negotiated solution with the Premier League club Aston Villa.

Therefore, it has also begun concrete negotiations with AaB. It confirms Nicklas Helenius' agent Mads Bach Lund.

- We have approached with Aston Villa, and now we are so far that I begin talks with other parties. There is no reason to hide that AaB listed first, but we have to find a solution. Therefore, nothing decided yet, explains Mads Bach Lund.

Are there also other clubs in the game than AaB?

- Yes, but now we talk with AaB since it is quite obvious to all parties. But again, is it all that we agree, say Helenius' agent.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbold/dansk_fodbold/superligaen/helenius-rykker-taettere-paa-aab-aftale/5618789