Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Right.

Guzan is a top keeper. The best we've had in ages.

STOP saying we need to replace him / buy a new keeper. There are 8/9 other areas of the pitch we need to look at before even contemplating replacing Guzan.

He's a brilliant keeper.

The way you use this word robs 'brilliant' of any meaning it might be thought to have.

By the standards of every man, woman or child who has ever played in goal, then yes, Guzan is brilliant. By the standards of every goalkeeper of American nationality then you might still be able to make a case. But by the standards of Premier League goalkeepers he clearly isn't 'brilliant', he is average, good at best, and if he were brilliant he wouldn't be playing for us. We don't have a single brilliant player in our squad. Brilliant players play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Brilliant post!

• Like 1

Not speculation or anything but i'd like to see us sign Ashley Cole for a year. Yes he's 34 but but the best left back ever in the premier imo. Plus I like the symmetry of two ex-England internationals who flopped in Italy playing on either side of our defence.

A lot of people think he is a nob but from what I have read he is really passionate about football and im sure would have something to prove.

Not speculation or anything but i'd like to see us sign Ashley Cole for a year. Yes he's 34 but but the best left back ever in the premier imo. Plus I like the symmetry of two ex-England internationals who flopped in Italy playing on either side of our defence.

A lot of people think he is a nob but from what I have read he is really passionate about football and im sure would have something to prove.

I certainly wouldn't be against it but he'd want a fortune in wages and I doubt we'd get him. I'd say there'd be sides higher up the league who would still use him.

One of the things I've noticed is some fans don't like the idea of being linked with the likes of Townsend and Schlupp yet would like to keep a lot of our average squad. I don't get it.

Money.

• Like 2

I certainly wouldn't be against it but he'd want a fortune in wages and I doubt we'd get him. I'd say there'd be sides higher up the league who would still use him.
For a season I'd be happy with him. I'm willing to bet he's still in great shape & would get up/down still. I actually don't think he'd ask for extortionate amount of money. he's made his money & would prob like one last season in the prem. Edited by mightysasquatch

No offence but no thanks. Even in a best case scenario, he'd need resting or be out injured for every third or fourth game, so bringing back Richardson or Bennett anyway, he'd be on the best part of 100k/week in all probability, and we'd be doing the same **** left-back search again next summer that we've now done 4 summers in a row. 

No offence but no thanks. Even in a best case scenario, he'd need resting or be out injured for every third or fourth game, so bringing back Richardson or Bennett anyway, he'd be on the best part of 100k/week in all probability, and we'd be doing the same **** left-back search again next summer that we've now done 4 summers in a row.

Does he have a history of being injury prone? Genuine question as I don't know.

I don't think he'd want that much at this point in his career, If it was for a nominale fee & wages not daft (in regards to our budget) it could be a decent signing.

Right.

STOP saying we need to replace him / buy a new keeper. There are 8/9 other areas of the pitch we need to look at before even contemplating replacing Guzan.

He's a brilliant keeper.

The way you use this word robs 'brilliant' of any meaning it might be thought to have. 

By the standards of every man, woman or child who has ever played in goal, then yes, Guzan is brilliant. By the standards of every goalkeeper of American nationality then you might still be able to make a case. But by the standards of Premier League goalkeepers he clearly isn't 'brilliant', he is average, good at best, and if he were brilliant he wouldn't be playing for us. We don't have a single brilliant player in our squad. Brilliant players play for Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern Munich. 

Completely disagree with everything you've said.

• Like 3

Even by your own definition of the word, you won't convince me that Benteke is not brilliant.

2 players to keep an eye on for the future are:

Pione Sisto (20yo) midfielder (Denmark U21) My cousin who lives in Denmark have been raving about him all season, also looking good in the Under 21 Euros.

Ludwig Augustinsson (21yo) LB (Sweden U21) Who i followed his whole career and who is turning into a very good player, currently with FC Copenhagen.

None of them might be ready to be first choice players for us at the start of next season, but give them half a season and they just might.

Pierre-Emile Höjbjerg from Denmark and Bayern Munich is probably my favorite player in the U21 Euros, but Bayern obviously will wan't to keep hold of him

definately be able to sort lb position but not only would wages be a problem i think if he said he wanted to return to the prem there be clubs in europe after him

Obi mikel too..wants to leave chelsea.ive always liked him and think he'd be quality but like Cole way to ambitious for us at this moment in time

Edited by Villan81

After the season he had for Roma, no way. He has become hated by fans for his lethargic performances. Roma has been forced to use younger talents and play center backs at LB because of how awful Cole has been. A fan summed up his season saying that Cole literally came there to retire and still get paid. 

Right.

He's a brilliant keeper.

Absolutely spot on. Guzan is an excellent shot stopper, and brilliant at coming out to claim the ball from crossess and corners.

Ok, his distribution is very average at best but no goalie is perfect. Outside the top 6, Guzan will hold his own against any other keeper.

He is the least of our worries in terms of transfers.

I actually think he's better than Mignolet and Ospina to go one further.

The only reason Guzan isn't considered 'brilliant' is because he plays for Villa. He would very much hold his own in the top teams around Europe.

The least of our worries.

• Like 2

Right.

He's a brilliant keeper.

Absolutely spot on. Guzan is an excellent shot stopper, and brilliant at coming out to claim the ball from crossess and corners.

Ok, his distribution is very average at best but no goalie is perfect. Outside the top 6, Guzan will hold his own against any other keeper.

He is the least of our worries in terms of transfers.

I actually think he's better than Mignolet and Ospina to go one further.

The only reason Guzan isn't considered 'brilliant' is because he plays for Villa. He would very much hold his own in the top teams around Europe.

The least of our worries.

One wonders, then, why the top teams around Europe aren't bidding for him? Arsenal are looking for a new keeper, and he's younger than Cech. Real Madrid are looking for a new keeper, and he'd be cheaper and easier to get than De Gea. He's been dropped by Sherwood, so you'd think we would probably entertain a big enough bid. And yet mysteriously, the phone doesn't seem to be ringing off the hook. 

You know why? Because he's not brilliant. He is a perfectly average Premier League goalkeeper, not the best, not the worst, somewhere in the middle. By the standards of his peers, who are the only worthwhile people to compare him against, he isn't brilliant. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 3