Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

Considering I liked Darren Bent i'm not sure that's a good comparison. He was anything but a mistake actually.

As it stands he just won't fit in here and isn't worth the time and resources for us when we have more pressing matters.

We need another type of player. Not Huddlestone.

It's got nothing to do with being negative, it's my opinion I genuinely don't think he is what we need or how he would even fit in and that's before I even talk about how much I rate him (which isn't alot). Even if we setup differently we would need players to accommodate Huddlestone because our current midfielders wouldn't suit him. It's too much change.

Edited by dudevillaisnice

I was so excited to sign the likes of bacuna, helenius, tonev, Luna, sylla, KEA and Vlaar. And that resulted in the least enjoyable period of my villa supporting life. There may be signings we make that I think look rubbish but I'm happy to see how things turn out.

Those signings led to some fans being the most optimistic about any season since the one after the euro cup.

Never understood why as there was nothing to suggest they were anything but gash.

Huddlestone is a decent player but I don't think he's a Sherwood player. The tempo of his game is quite slow and apart from his size he doesn't bring that much more to us than Westwood or Sanchez. I hope we try to get a proper defensive midfielder who can pass and tackle. I still think Sanchez can do this given a full preseason in him.

Do we have any other players of the ilk of Westwood in the squad? Are we opposed to having a "Squad"?

Westwood, Sánchez and Gardner who can cover that role. That'll do for now.

Sanchez who can barely pass to his own team mate most the time, can cover the ball spraying midfield role? :o

That Sunderland game over xmas, didn't Sanchez have something ridiculous like 98% pass completion stats.

The bloke's South American, he can pass a ball accurately to a team mate. The trouble with him every game is he'll do some ridiculous pass to the opposition that nearly costs us a goal and everyone will remember that instead of all the other accurate passes.

O.k another point, Delph, Westwood, Huddlestone, Sanchez, Gardner. Who's getting 10 league goals out of that lot again?

Remember Sherwood said if Cleverley signed full time he wanted 10 league goals from him so that is the standard and if Benteke leaves we will certainly need someone to step up but I just don't see any of those options getting anywhere near 10 goals.

Huddlestone may not be lazy but he is probably the slowest player in the league, no exaggeration. He doesn't possess the awareness or defensive reading to compensate for it either.

He's not the slowest player in the league and he has very good awareness and reading of the game. That's how he manages to win the ball, despite lack of pace. 

Here is a full games highlight for you, so you can lose this preconception you have of him and see how he's change Villa's style. It think watching  a full games highlights will shock you, as he's nowhere near this immobile lump people seem to think he is. The main thing to observe is how he stretches the play so quickly by spreading the ball out wide constantly. Forget the likes of Cleverly, KEA and Sanchez etc that you've seen in recent years. Huddlestone is on a different level.

Con would approve of that video

• Like 3

I can see why it's depressing being a Villa fan. I'm actually giving you a positive review and highlighting some stuff to show just how false the perceptions of a player you look like signing are and some of you just don't want to take it. It's like you want to be negative.

I agree.

A United fan once wrote something so brilliantly true about some of our supporters. He said:

If they won the lottery they'd go 'Bastard luck! Now I'll have to drink myself to death and talk to lots of fit birds rather than sit around and mope about Villa 24/7.

• Like 2

View image | gettyimages.com

According to the Daily Mirror, Aston Villa are pursuing a summer deal for Hull City ace Robbie Brady - as well as his team-mate Tom Huddlestone.

Villa managed to stay up under the guidance of Tim Sherwood, but after a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Arsenal in the FA Cup final, new arrivals are a must this summer.

Sherwood will be keen to improve his defensive options, particularly at full back where the likes of Alan Hutton, Leandro Bacuna, Matthew Lowton and Kieran Richardson all saw playing time on either side, with more continuity needed.

Sherwood is now being linked with a summer swoop to sign Hull City star Brady, who joined the Tigers from Manchester United permanently in 2013 after two season-long deals at the KC Stadium.

The 23-year-old has been a regular under Steve Bruce, and is now racking up caps for Martin O'Neill's Republic of Ireland side, starting at left back of late.

Capable of playing left back, left wing back or on the left hand side of midfield, Brady offers great versatility, which could help Sherwood as he moulds his Villa side.

The Mirror note that Villa want to land Brady as well as his Hull team-mate Huddlestone, whilst Norwich City could rival them for Brady's signature as they look to survive in the Premier League.

Am I only the one that things Huddlestone is a decent player?

He's not that much different to Westwood really. I don't see him as the sort that will move us a good 5-6 places up the table. 

Where were these inspirational performances saving Hull from Relegation last season btw.

He was a regular in a dismal low scoring team that went down.

Not saying he was good last season, but you can't assume a player isn't worth having just because their team got relegated and they didn't save them. You'd take Charlie Austin wouldn't you? Danny Ings?

I just think Huddlestone is overrated, always have done when he was Spurs for example. 

Steve Bruce last season saying he should've been a starter for England at the world cup ffs because he can pass a ball.

He's too slow and immobile and the better teams in the league crowd him out and overrun him especially in a 4-4-2.

Let's also remember we actually need someone from central midfielder to actually score some goals next season. Cleverley was starting to do that so his replacement needs to be someone who can hit 5-10 league goals. Huddlestone averages what two a season?

Sorry, not for me.

I wouldn't be overly excited about the signing, I'd rank it as steady. He's certainly got his weaknesses but I think he's good enough for our starting 11.

We dont want good enough for our starting 11. That's the equivalent of saying "yeah he'll do". I dont know if you noticed but our starting 11 almost wasn't good enough for the premier league. 

If Huddlestone was that good he wouldn't be playing for Hull and he wouldn't be being linked to us, and not for a fee as little as £5M.

Maybe Sherwood can get more out of him than Steve Bruce. We have Delph for box to box duties. Huddlestone would be like a poor mans Carrick. Still good enough for us.

If Huddlestone was that good he wouldn't be playing for Hull and he wouldn't be being linked to us, and not for a fee as little as £5M.

He has one year left on his contract so might explain a low price. Still think he is useless though

When I said that good I meant as good Joey is making him out to be. I don't think he's the worst player in the myself, I just don't think he should be at the top of our priorities.

Maybe Sherwood can get more out of him than Steve Bruce. We have Delph for box to box duties. Huddlestone would be like a poor mans Carrick. Still good enough for us.

I don't think we should be taking a punt on a player who could 'maybe' be improved by Sherwood and 'maybe' improve the team.

What we need is players that will definitely improve the team.

Even for £5m, which I think is a lot for th, its not worth the risk imo as we have Westwood, Sanchez and possibly Gardner playing that role.