Summer Speculation 2015

lexicon

I'm intrigued to think what those who say he is 'way overpriced' think he is worth.

Fact is, he scores goals. Goal scorers cost money in the PL. Not just that, he scored goals for an utterly useless team. Honestly, the comparisons to Benteke after his first season with us are there to be made. Yet we all wanted how much for him?

I think 12m-15m is a fair price. Whether we pay it is another story.

Yes but they are not in the Premier League any more and Austin has a year left on his contract doesn't he?

Well yes, but i'm not saying they're worth the same. We wanted 25m+ for Benteke in 2013. For age, contract and current PL status. 

Jay Rodriquez 15 last year.

Michu 18 & Lambert 15 the year before that.

Yakubu 17 & Holt 15 the year before that.

Odemwingie 15 & Andy Carroll managed to bag himself a £35m move off 12 goals before Christmas.

• Like 1

Yep I dont get any negativity towards it. Benteke is irreplaceable so we cant get a like for like replacement. Austin has scored at all levels and with enough service will score goals for Villa

We will need goals from somewhere if Benteke goes...we're losing over 50% of our goals right there.

Kozak I fancy could hit 9-10 league goals but lets remember he has been out for a very long time so don't expect miracles if hopefully he returns in August and likes of Sinclair and Gabby will struggle to get that amount so it's either more goals from our midfield which they should be capable of or we sign a relatively proven striker for the premier league so Austin to me fits that bill. Someone like James Wilson can come in on loan aswell so you've got a bit of variety in the strikers then.

Well yes, but i'm not saying they're worth the same. We wanted 25m+ for Benteke in 2013. For age, contract and current PL status.

That's it though, we were in a position to hold out for £25m for Benteke at the time with our league status intact and two years remaining on his contract. If the circumstances were as they were with Austin, we would've got nothing like his 'true' value, if you will.

Austin isn't particularly young either (26 in July) so with all the factors in mind, I don't think QPR should really expect significantly more than the £10m marker. Then again, I suppose it also depends what other clubs are willing to pay, some can get a bit desperate for a proven striker. Maybe I am being a little fastidious however over what is basically a few million here or there. We are living in a market where [27 year olds] Ross McCormack and Shane Long go for £12m, Steven Fletcher for £14m.

So to summarise, Austin would be a solid replacement for Benteke, I just feel £15m is a tad overpriced.

GK ?

LB Taylor>cissokho/Richardson/Bennett/Luna/Stephens

CB Richards>Senderos

CB Caulker>baker

CM Cleverly>sylla

LW Townsend>nzogbia

RW/LW Redmond>tonev

RW Sinclair>weiman

ST Austin>bent gabby

It's amazing how so many can't see it's not enough players for a team

It's replacements for some of the trash currently attempting to play football at villa park

AVFC

Edited by dakid007
  • Like 1

"Austin would also prefer to stay down south". So be it then.

With relegation, their money problems and a year left on his contract £10-£12m should be about the asking price. I wonder if he would be so happy to stay down South if it was Liverpool who wanted him rather than Ings for nothing?  

I like the look of the player but he is no Benteke and this looks more like a deal for West Ham than for us. 

Ki has had a couple of opportunities to sign for us in the past and on both occasions chose not to.  He clearly doesn't want to come here.

To be precise, I think he would have been perfectly happy to come here if we had matched his wage demands (which were too high, and we did the right thing not breaking our wage structure for him), he'd agreed with the transfer in concept before the negotiation stage. 

On Austin, £15m is the bare minimum of what we will likely have to pay. Of course he's no Benteke, but if he leaves we will need goals from somewhere and Austin can score them. 

As it stands, I don't think we should be spending 15mil on a striker - if Benteke goes, we'll need to get someone else in but other than that I think we'd be better off investing in the defence.

I think so yes. Sherwood did mention if he became unhappy it's better to cash in, no reason why he wouldn't if a bigger club came calling. Think those thinking the club will hold out for £50m are dreaming I'm afraid. We are a selling club like everyone else out there. I think we will sell which I have very little problem with providing replacements are adequate in strengthening the team.

I don't believe the article, it says we'll make the move should Benteke leave, Sherwood has already said that no one can afford him.

You actually believe him? It's to push up the price but clubs will be able to afford him.

Does he believe himself? I think he does. Didn't he call Benteke the best striker in europe recently, I think unless a team like Man City or Real Madrid come in and offer silly then Benteke won't be going anywhere.