Pre-Match Thread, Waiting In The Wings!

Kingman

Given is getting the start Sherwood already stated.

Given

Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Hutton, 

Westwood Delph Cleverly

Cole

Benteke, Sinclair

Weimann, N'Zogbia, and Grealish are all in contention to start as well.  

OKore in midfield?

That's odd (and won't happen)

But swap him for Westwood and I think that'll be close to the team

You're right that it won't happen. I'd like to see it tried though, Okore has the attributes to do that role I believe.
It's been mentioned a few times and you do have that feeling it could work but it's one of those moves you do where you have no choice (though we are close to that) or a bit of an experiment/gamble if you're in a position to do it, possibly not a semi final.

I think it is pretty likely to be Vlaar & Baker unless Baker plays left back but that isn't really Sherwood and I wouldn't want it either.

Its vintage VT. As soon as a player starts playing well people want to move him.

If anything we should be moving the players who aren't performing to see if they're better somewhere else.

"Starts playing well?" No, it's based on our other DM being suspended and there being no obvious alternative*. You make it sound like I've argued for a permanent change of position.

*Before people chime in with it, Westwood can't defend. Even his supporters concede this. I don't want to see a player who cannot track opposition runs trying to contain an in-form Coutinho.

I think it is pretty likely to be Vlaar & Baker unless Baker plays left back but that isn't really Sherwood and I wouldn't want it either.

I think it'll be the same back-line that finished against Spurs, yes. I'd rather Richardson doesn't play, even if that means starting Lowton. Edited by Isa

Given

Westwood Delph Cleverly

Cole

Benteke, Sinclair

I would disagree if that is true. Its is the semi finals, you play your first choice keeper. Shay has done a good job in the early rounds, but now it is serious. Not really that fair on Guzan as he played every game of the league cup run and was dropped for Friedel when we got to the final.

"Starts playing well?" No, it's based on our other DM being suspended and there being no obvious alternative*. You make it sound like I've argued for a permanent change of position.

Apologies, it was more of a comment of VT in general than specifically towards you.

But regardless, I'd still rather see Westwood there. Okore there would be a huge risk. Just because you can defend doesn't mean you can do it from midfield. You need a much bigger engine for a start.

He might be great at it, but I'm not sure a semi final vs Liverpool is the place to be experimenting.

I just cannot understand why so many people (including the bookies) see this as a one horse race.

Corals for example have us as 9/1 to win the cup but 11/2 to beat Liverpool (which appears the easier of the two potential barriers to our lifting the trophy). This is not the Liverpool of the 1970s & we beat them 5-1 in 76/7 in any case!  

I have backed Benteke to score first and us to win 3-1 or 3-0 @ 210/1 & 340/1 respectively so I may well invest my winnings in Club Wembley seats for the Final!  :)

So you can buy the club in the summer then?

Given

Westwood Delph Cleverly

Cole

Benteke, Sinclair

I would disagree if that is true. Its is the semi finals, you play your first choice keeper. Shay has done a good job in the early rounds, but now it is serious. Not really that fair on Guzan as he played every game of the league cup run and was dropped for Friedel when we got to the final.

I think there is very little to choose between the two at the moment and I would not see it as fair if Given did not get a game on Sunday. But there will be a decision to be made on which keeper should start when we get to the final. 

I just cannot understand why so many people (including the bookies) see this as a one horse race.

Corals for example have us as 9/1 to win the cup but 11/2 to beat Liverpool (which appears the easier of the two potential barriers to our lifting the trophy). This is not the Liverpool of the 1970s & we beat them 5-1 in 76/7 in any case!  

I have backed Benteke to score first and us to win 3-1 or 3-0 @ 210/1 & 340/1 respectively so I may well invest my winnings in Club Wembley seats for the Final!  :)

So you can buy the club in the summer then?

I did not put quite enough on to be able to do that. ;)  

Apologies, it was more of a comment of VT in general than specifically towards you.

But regardless, I'd still rather see Westwood there. Okore there would be a huge risk. Just because you can defend doesn't mean you can do it from midfield. You need a much bigger engine for a start.

He might be great at it, but I'm not sure a semi final vs Liverpool is the place to be experimenting.

Ah, no worries.

Your view is understandable. I was taking inspiration from when Zouma played his first game in midfield during the League Cup final. I think we could do with extra pace as Liverpool play quick transitions.

It'll be interesting to see who Sherwood does play there though if Nursey's article on Westwood is accurate. I hope he doesn't go with a flat 4-4-2.

Being written off far too easily for this one. Got a feeling Benteke is going to do a job on them.

Yeah, Granted we are the underdogs but being priced as big as 11/2 is a bit potty imo.

Sturridge a major injury doubt for tomorrow according to the papers

Get your money in on Balotelli (or Stevie G if they need it late in the game) scoring from their inevitable predestined penalty

Edited by sne

Surprised to see the papers still full of Sterling being a naughty boy rather than the Gerrard destiny stories this morning. I know the media love to spin a story but will be interesting to see the fall out of this when we beat them tomorrow. Sterling > Scapegoat and the transfer rumours really kick in.