Pre-Match Thread, Waiting In The Wings!

Kingman

I have a feeling it will go to penalties tbh. If it does I hope we've only used two subs as I wouldn't fancy Given to save any Liverpool ones whereas I would expect Guzan to save at least one, he's got previous and he just has that presence in goal. 

Big thing for me is if Sturridge is injured. Bloke has a very good scoring record against us and usually causes our back 4 a lot of issues. If he's out I'd assume they'd play Sterling up there which I'd be confident we could handle.

Not sure it's wise just playing two central midfielders against the Liverpool formation, that could well be an error when we look back at the game.

Given is getting the start Sherwood already stated.

Given

Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Hutton, 

Westwood Delph Cleverly

Cole

Benteke, Sinclair

Weimann, N'Zogbia, and Grealish are all in contention to start as well.  

I would disagree if that is true. Its is the semi finals, you play your first choice keeper. Shay has done a good job in the early rounds, but now it is serious. Not really that fair on Guzan as he played every game of the league cup run and was dropped for Friedel when we got to the final.

I think there is very little to choose between the two at the moment and I would not see it as fair if Given did not get a game on Sunday. But there will be a decision to be made on which keeper should start when we get to the final. 

Can't agree with this at all - firstly, Sherwood must rate Guzan as clearly the better keeper otherwise he would play Given in the league games.  Secondly, Given must be rusty having only the odd run out in cup games and thirdly I couldn't give a monkey's what's "fair" - I want us to play our best XI and get to the final. Finally, it would be difficult to assess how much or little there is between them as we havn't seen Given in weeks

If this all comes down to a keeping error, I'll be furious if we start Given for bollox sentimental or fairness reasons

• Like 1

Loving this "Fight Like Lions" logo all of a sudden.

Is it newish or have i been walking around with my eyes shut?

It's newish yeah. We've not played up to our feline roots for a long time, glad to see it.

I also love that clip of a lion they play at home games just before the fanfare. Its eyes displayed on the North Stand scoreboard really bore right in to me. Proper gets me roaring.

• Like 2

Completely ruined for me. I can't help but remember the movie "Three Amigos":

Villian: "You will die like dogs"

Dusty Bottoms: "No, we will not die like dogs! We will fight like lions!!"

Edited by ozvillafan
  • Like 1

Completely ruined for me. I can't help but remember the movie "Three Amigos":

Villian: "You will die like dogs"

Dusty Bottoms: "No, we will not die like dogs! We will fight like lions!!"

Hopefully we'll score a plethora of goals.

• Like 1

So at the 11th hour I've just managed to get tomorrow off work when previously it looked impossible.Any chance I could pick up a ticket now, for less than say £300?

Try the club Wembley thread, there is a number in there that i called and was quoted 300 a few weeks ago.

For the first time in years I'm actually genuinely excited by the prospect of a Villa game. For the first time in equally as long I'll be making a concerted effort to sit down and watch it with a couple of beers (glory hunter obvs).

However, years of supporting us has made me expect to be disappointed, either by us being shit and getting hammered or by us fighting bravely but not taking our chances and being cruelly denied! Here's hoping I'm wrong. UTV.

Given is getting the start Sherwood already stated.

Given

Bacuna, Vlaar, Baker, Hutton, 

Westwood Delph Cleverly

Cole

Benteke, Sinclair

Weimann, N'Zogbia, and Grealish are all in contention to start as well.  

I would disagree if that is true. Its is the semi finals, you play your first choice keeper. Shay has done a good job in the early rounds, but now it is serious. Not really that fair on Guzan as he played every game of the league cup run and was dropped for Friedel when we got to the final.

I think there is very little to choose between the two at the moment and I would not see it as fair if Given did not get a game on Sunday. But there will be a decision to be made on which keeper should start when we get to the final. 

Can't agree with this at all - firstly, Sherwood must rate Guzan as clearly the better keeper otherwise he would play Given in the league games.  Secondly, Given must be rusty having only the odd run out in cup games and thirdly I couldn't give a monkey's what's "fair" - I want us to play our best XI and get to the final. Finally, it would be difficult to assess how much or little there is between them as we havn't seen Given in weeks

If this all comes down to a keeping error, I'll be furious if we start Given for bollox sentimental or fairness reasons

Yep agree. Look I like Shay and he is a good number 2 and a model pro to have around, but a semi final is not the time to be playing our second choice players. If he was that great he would have played a league match for us in the last 2 seasons.

Also how 'fair' is it for Guzan to yet again miss out on a Wembley show piece match?

Anyway hope it doesn't make a difference and it is a memorable match for the Villa.

Edited by The Fun Factory

I hope we don't go with the diamond tomorrow

The pitch size is on the bigger side isn't i think wide players will have more of an impact

I thought this was a myth and it's on a par with the size of Villa Park?!