Pre-Match Thread, Waiting In The Wings!

Kingman

I'd go Okore over Baker for two reasons.

1 - I see pace and quick(er) feet being more important than aerial power. It is Sterling, Coutinho and poss Sturrdige we need to stop. They arent going to be lumping balls forward that Baker can mop up.

2 - I would imagine Okore is going to be a bit sharper than Baker who is coming back from a fairly long time out. He did great against Spurs against Kane/Soldado but I would still expect Okore to be near match fitness after playing most games this season.

Vlaar is a more than capable left sided CB and from memory the two have looked a decent pairing in the few matches they've had together.

There's 2 ways we win this game:

1. Exploit their defence which doesn't appear consistent in personnel or performance of late. Any combination of Johnson, Can, Skrtel, Moreno, Flanagan, Lovren, Manquillo, Toure, Sakho could and has been used. Rodgers doesn't seem to know the right combination. Sakho is injured and whilst all the Scouse fans seem down on Johnson and Lovren they still get picked. Got to assume Skrtel will walk back in and pick up Benteke, leaves massive gaps for the likes of Grealish, Sinclair and (hopefully) Gabby to exploit. I'd like to see Villa press early on with the confidence we've seen in the last 2 league games.

2. Get the Sanchez replacement right. If Sturridge is out I'd expect Gerrard to start in the role behind Couthino and Sterling. Make his life hard, frustrate him into mistakes and we stop the danger early on. Personally I'd like to see one of best tacklers put in there, even if it means one of the CB's. The possession game we are capable of means their job is simple- win the ball and find the easiest claret and blue shirt. Get Cleverly and Delph looking to support this position quickly and distribute the ball wide.

I'd play-

-------------Given---------------

Bacuna-----Vlaar-----Baker------Lowton

-------------Okore----------------

---Cleverly------Delph

--------------Zog----------

-----Grealish------Benteke

If Gabby is fit, swap Zog for Grealish and Gabby partners Benteke (assuming if Sinclair is fit he won't be risked from the start).

Think Jack is confident enough to for Wembley not to faze him and it could be his game to shine. I'd love the back pages to be full of praise for him on Monday instead of the money grabbing, hippy crack lover.

Edited by Fight Like Lions
  • Like 4

Feeling happy and relaxed about Sunday. The win on saturday was great as even if the result go againist Villa this weekend, we will still not be in the bottom 3. This semi final is a definitive 'bonus' as no one expected a decent run this year.

Unlike 2010 when both trips had a certain amount of expectation on them, Villa have nothing to lose on Sunday and can play without fear.  It is also different from the Bradford omishambles as again we had the pressure (not really that much to beat a league two side over 2 games) as favorites. And we messed it up. All the pressure is on Rodgers to deliver some silverware for the bin dippers. The only shame is the injury list but it time someone from the sidelines makes the headlines such as a Joe Cole, or dare I say it, Jack Grealish.

I am not going to make a prediction I just want Villa to play with freedom and for the fans to enjoy the day in the right way.

Lets do this.

It's funny-I felt exactly the same way after the Albion league win, ie the 3 league points were vital and were in the bag, the cup game then became a bonus and whilst it was great to win, the important win was the league game a few days before.

I've always felt the Liverpool semi was going to be a bonus and felt if we could get 3 points at Spurs, that was more important than the semi-final. After last Saturdays win, we've all been able to enjoy the weeks build up (fans, managers & players alike) with a lot of pressure lifted from us. Survival is in our own hands, we can afford at least 1 more slip than everyone else and it will take something remarkable for 3 out of 5 teams below us to gain more points than us in 5 or 6 games.

I'm just looking at Sunday as a massive bonus.Cometh the day, cometh the hour, I will feel different, but for now, I've never been more relaxed about such a big game.

• Like 1

Earth-shattering defeat.

0-3

there could be an almighty anti-climax, there usually is when any sign of hope appears on the horizon.

If we get a few players back then we can make a game of it, but i fear if Liverpool turn up on form we could get easily beaten as they have players who are far more clinical than ours, well Benteke aside, then our most potent finisher is Gabby and he's out, if Sinclair doesn't play then I don't see anyone else scoring. Hope i'm wrong and Grealish scores.

I'd go Okore over Baker for two reasons.

1 - I see pace and quick(er) feet being more important than aerial power. It is Sterling, Coutinho and poss Sturrdige we need to stop. They arent going to be lumping balls forward that Baker can mop up.

2 - I would imagine Okore is going to be a bit sharper than Baker who is coming back from a fairly long time out. He did great against Spurs against Kane/Soldado but I would still expect Okore to be near match fitness after playing most games this season.

Vlaar is a more than capable left sided CB and from memory the two have looked a decent pairing in the few matches they've had together.

Vlaar plays on the right side of the defence as does Okore, Baker (& Clark) plays on the left so I would go with Baker.

That said,I'd probably go for Okore over Vlaar.

Earth-shattering defeat.

0-3

God that would be so shit.

If we lose I at least want some hope. I want some time in the game where I believe we could win it.

IMagine a 3-0 defeat with the first goal coming after about 2 minutes. That would suck monkey balls

"Surely everybody wants a Liverpool -v- Arsenal final - don't they - the FA needs to two BIG teams to be there"  ( sayTalk Sport and most of the National media) :angry:   Let's just enjoy the day though - no pressure on us . Looking forward to it - even if we lose, as long as we give it a good go, I'll be happy.

I wonder what would feel better, Winning the cup final versus Arsenal or knocking out Liverpool and seeing the Stevie-Me FA cup final dream media hype die a death?

I imagine they'll both feel pretty good. It'll be Sir Tactics Tim when this happens.

Feeling good about this one comfortable win I think 2-0 to us. Also as other might of said already might as well go for it chance to get to final we come this far let go for it come you villa boys you can make us all proud. And let show rest who are true giants of west middland football are

Up villa