2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Tim Sherwood has revealed that takeover talks at Aston Villa have now broken down.

Chairman Randy Lerner had been discussing a deal with a consortium who were thought to have been granted exclusivity, but that period has now passed.

Lerner, who first put Villa up for sale at the end of last season, was close to finally finding a buyer but that is no longer the case.

“I think it’s dead now to be honest,” said Sherwood.

“It was fairly live but I think the people who were talking are now not there.

“The chairman is picking it up and running with it now.

“I’m not sure if anyone is too close now.

“Until it’s done it’s never there.”

Lerner, who has already sanctioned a deal to sign Idrissa Gueye for £9million, is backing Villa in the transfer market this summer.

“Randy is the one who is making the decisions regarding the players,” Sherwood said.

“He is willing to back us to the hilt.

“But he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play. That means there might have to be some exits from the club before we can get in some more.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-takeover-dead-tim-9655849

Shouldn't be too much of a surprise FFP has made buying a prem league club unattractive , you need a big outlay to buy them but then you have your hand tied behind back when wanting to invest in players.

Still you never know what could happen...

• Like 1

Tim Sherwood has revealed that takeover talks at Aston Villa have now broken down.

Chairman Randy Lerner had been discussing a deal with a consortium who were thought to have been granted exclusivity, but that period has now passed.

Lerner, who first put Villa up for sale at the end of last season, was close to finally finding a buyer but that is no longer the case.

“I think it’s dead now to be honest,” said Sherwood.

“It was fairly live but I think the people who were talking are now not there.

“The chairman is picking it up and running with it now.

“I’m not sure if anyone is too close now.

“Until it’s done it’s never there.”

Lerner, who has already sanctioned a deal to sign Idrissa Gueye for £9million, is backing Villa in the transfer market this summer.

“Randy is the one who is making the decisions regarding the players,” Sherwood said.

“He is willing to back us to the hilt.

“But he can only back us to the tune of financial fair play. That means there might have to be some exits from the club before we can get in some more.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-takeover-dead-tim-9655849

Well that means if Benteke dont get sold dont start crying if we dont buy anyone else. :(

Great news.  Well I hope he sticks to his word and makes sure someone is in place so he has nothing to do with us again.  Yes we're looking like spending a bit more this summer, but compared to the likes of newcastle, stoke and everton is it enough to see us to start to become a top half team?

Shouldn't be surprised, Lerner is just a bit of a failure.

Hopefully we see Randy appoint a new chairman shortly!

Not that I'm saying Tim is leading the journo's on a little game, but his comments aren't exactly a full proof confirmation the deal is off. Lots of "may be" and "I think" and "I'm not sure". i personally think that he seemed more confident that this when he took out his little wager with Pete Colley at the back end of last season. 

Now, where are the rest of my straws...

Â