2015 Takeover Thread

samjp26

Charles Sale's column in the Mail today said that aswell as the 150m Lerner wants to sell, he also wants on top of that a guarentee that 50m will be made available for transfer in what I presume would be the first season. Not including Benteke being sold at some point either....

"Former Chelsea executive Paul Smith, sacked in 2007 after a pre-season club tour, is an unlikely leader of the consortium attempting to buy Aston Villa. And Smith will need to raise more than £150million to mount a takeover bid. 

Seller Randy Lerner, who is including his £3.5m Warwickshire country pad in the sale, wants another £50m on top to be made available for new signings. Meanwhile, such is Lerner’s detachment from Villa it’s not certain he will fly from California, where he is spending time painting, for the FA Cup fin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3074195/FA-refuse-pass-contact-details-intermediaries-acting-player-representatives-AFA-chairman-Mel-Stein.html#ixzz3ZfV2rJvF 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He himself agreed to spend £20m on players as part of his deal to buy the club so I see where that idea has come from but it does suggest that neither seller was/is sure that the playing side would be improved following a sale.  

Charles Sale's column in the Mail today said that aswell as the 150m Lerner wants to sell, he also wants on top of that a guarentee that 50m will be made available for transfer in what I presume would be the first season. Not including Benteke being sold at some point either....

"Former Chelsea executive Paul Smith, sacked in 2007 after a pre-season club tour, is an unlikely leader of the consortium attempting to buy Aston Villa. And Smith will need to raise more than £150million to mount a takeover bid. 

Seller Randy Lerner, who is including his £3.5m Warwickshire country pad in the sale, wants another £50m on top to be made available for new signings. Meanwhile, such is Lerner’s detachment from Villa it’s not certain he will fly from California, where he is spending time painting, for the FA Cup fin

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3074195/FA-refuse-pass-contact-details-intermediaries-acting-player-representatives-AFA-chairman-Mel-Stein.html#ixzz3ZfV2rJvF 

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He himself agreed to spend £20m on players as part of his deal to buy the club so I see where that idea has come from but it does suggest that neither seller was/is sure that the playing side would be improved following a sale.  

To be honest I like the idea of a "clause" that means a fair bit of cash must be spent immediately. When Lerner took over, £20m was a decent wedge in the footballing world. I'd say £50m in footballing terms is probably worth just a bit more than what £20m got you back then, so it makes sense if he were to say that a certain amount must be spent at minimum. 

• Like 2

Very much agree.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't etc...

... now where have I heard that used in defense of mediocrity before.... ?
Agreed. The fear of the unknown should not put us off.
You don't think there's a reason to be cautious about our next takeover?

Do you think anyone other than lerner would do?

I find it astonishing that anyone can have that view

I think its normal to be fairly cautious but I'd have to hear some horrendous things to really put me off.

I think there's a slim chance the next guy makes me see 5 consecutive years as bad as the last ones. I'm far more excited to move on from Lerner than scared it might be worse.

Lambert is a great example of why I'm excited for change.

I really really hope Lerner isn't as desperate to get rid of the club as you are.

I'd say there's a high chance we'll be in a much worse situation if that's the case.

I think you grossly underestimate how bad things can be with the wrong owner in charge. The fact that you think it can't get worse than the last 5 years is hilarious. Don't get me wrong, they've not been fun. But do you really think scraping premier league survival is as bad as it gets?

Open your eyes mate.

I find your fear of life without Lerner hilarious. We had Doug and I didn't witness 5 consecutive years worse than the last ones so I'll stick with my prediction that I doubt new owners will do worse.

I think things could be a lot worse with the wrong owner. I think many bad things could happen to me in the world. It doesn't stop me leaving my house in the morning.

And if Lerner cares as much as is claimed, he won't sell us to people we couldn't trust.

Where did I say I fear life without Lerner? I don't fear life without Lerner whatsoever if he cares about who he sells the club to. Not one bit.

Do I fear life without him if he sells to the first bunch of chancers who scrape together the money to meet his asking price? Yes absolutely.

I seriously question anyone who doesn't fear that. Don't let your hatred of Lerner blind you from how much worse things could be.

And, again, Doug was hardly a good owner. But if you're holding up our time under Doug Ellis as the worst it can get then you need to take a look around at clubs with really bad owners.

See Leeds, Portsmouth, Blackburn, Blackpool, Cardiff, Rangers, Newcastle etc

If Lerner makes sure that he sells to good potential owners, then I'll be as quick as you to usher him out the door.

If he sells to the first people who meet the asking price without any consideration as to who they are or what they'll do with the club, then I'll be VERY worried. I genuinely cannot believe anyone wouldn't be.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

I'm just reading that they're meant to be interested in buying into Internazionale and Sporting Lisbon too. Is that even allowed, if true would probably suggest that there is more to this than meets the eye with regards to the funding of any deal.

Say what you will about Adams, but it seems as though he got a handle on his drinking years ago, so if anything, its a mark of strong will that he's conquered his demons. Not that I want him anywhere near Villa, but he should be given some leeway with his recovery.

Stevo I don't want him to sell to a bunch of chancers, the report mentioned that discussions had been going for nearly a year. If that's the case that's hardly accepting the first offer quickly and snapping their hands off without any thought.

I guess for all my dislike of the way he's run the club I dont believe he'd sell us to just anyone.

And I fully acknowledge things could be a lot worse but like I said you could bring that up about almost everything to do with your life, its not the reason not to do something.

Lerner wants to sell, I hope that happens.

Didn't Doug go on record when he sold up to Lerner stating he was offered more money from other potential buyers but they wouldn't be investing a lot in the squad so that why he chose Lerner! 

I Really hope this has stuck with Lerner and is so mindful of whom he sells up to!  

Selling a football club should have the same stringent checks as looking after a foster child!

This might be a very simplistic way of looking at things but I think we'd be wise to avoid selling up to anyone with historical connections to Chelsea when you consider the financial mess they were in, pre-Abramovich.

Tony Adams would be useful to us if he could somehow return to his standard of football and fitness under Wenger in 1998. Other than that, maybe as a defence coach. Just as long as he doesn't get too big for his boots.

Didn't Doug go on record when he sold up to Lerner stating he was offered more money from other potential buyers but they wouldn't be investing a lot in the squad so that why he chose Lerner! 

I Really hope this has stuck with Lerner and is so mindful of whom he sells up to!  

Selling a football club should have the same stringent checks as looking after a foster child!

I like the sentiment, but I really wouldn't go by what Ellis claimed. He has been known, on occasion, to just ever so slightly embellish things, bless him.
  • Like 4

if the next owner can come in and spend 50m, that would put us in a great position. That could be three 15m+ players, or five 10m rated players.

It'll set us up brilliantly, if spent well.

Portsmouth fans probably thought that with Al Fahim. And Al Faraj. And Chainrai. And Antonov. Blackburn fans with the Venky's too. Hell even Blues with Yueng.

Add QPR to that list - owned by a self made millionaire and one of the world's richest families, but the club is a total shambles. Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe
  • Like 2

if the next owner can come in and spend 50m, that would put us in a great position. That could be three 15m+ players, or five 10m rated players.

Or one £50m player, two £25m players, four £12.5m players etc.  

Nonsense to speculate that a player of a certain value is better than a player of another value when nowadays it is customary for Premier League clubs to over spend on 'talent' a la Hull and QPR, Spurs, Liverpool et al

Improving the squad should be done on a value per £ basis rather than just expecting a high £m transfer to be instantly better than a lower £ transfer.  

Personally I'd rather we stuck to the plan of buy young and talented as we had originally intended to do under MON and in particular purchase only players that fit our system as per the example of Southampton and Swansea.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if there's any way of doing a deal where the new owners have to spend a certain amount on the team at best it would probably be a gentleman's agreement. I think Morgan bought Wolves for £10 on the proviso that he spent £30M on the team but not sure if he ever did.

• Like 1

wasn't Curtis Davies & CNZ .....10mill? ;)

wasn't Curtis Davies & CNZ .....10mill? ;)

Aye but Benteke and Okore cost just over £10m for the two of them.

Yep, today's sky sports article says nothing new, however it does say that it is unclear if Halo have the money or not - which is a change from what Sky news first reported - so they clearly don't know, whereas ol Pat Murphy and John Percy at the Telegraph are quite sure the money is already there and haven't changed that stance since the story broke. If the money IS there, then it's a question of who's money it is...

Â