Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

3 hours ago, bickster said:

I'm also not sure how Little Boots got to be the biggest selling from Lancashire when Jethro Tull were from Blackpool

Ian Anderson - Dunfermline 

Mick Abrahams - Luton

Martin Barre - Birmingham 

John Evan - Blackpool 

Clive Bunker - Luton 

Barriemore Barlow - Birmingham 

Glenn Cornick - Barrow 

Jeffrey Hammond - Blackpool 

No overall winner. The mapmakers gave it to Bedfordshire, but Blackpool and Brum have an equal claim. 

But I take your point, as the band first formed 'Up The Pool'. 

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I had to google one of those names to see if you've made them up.

I know Jethro Tull exist because of the name, but I couldn't name a song. Were they quite popular for a time?

Huge in the progressive rock (I refuse to use the bastard term 'prog') world. Mainly an albums band, very big in America as well as the UK, but also had some singles success in the late 60s/early 70s - The Witch's Promise, Living in the Past, Life's a Long Song, etc. Now basically a vehicle for frontman Anderson, but still active. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

During his wilderness years (before Page & Plant unplugged for MTV) he used to go The French Connection at the top of lower High Street in Stourbridge every Saturday and eat garlic bread and drink tea. My best mate worked there and said he was really boring. 

This was before the idea of re-becoming famous happened. It used to be once you had your time it was over. Now people seem to be famous forever even if the only good thing they did was over 50 years ago.

Thats a bit harsh :D He might just be quiet. 

Imagine the things he has seen and done in his heyday! He probably welcomes a bit of the normal and mundane :) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why does mainland Australia not count as an island? 

I thought the same and looked it up.  it seems that an island is generally defined as “a non-continental landmass surrounded by water” (or similar).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

Very cool. In my mind's eye Jamaica is a lot bigger than that. Seems it's only just bigger than Cape Breton!

Same, and also Cyprus and Puerto Rico too. They must just seem larger than they are because they're culturally significant and/or independent countries.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Are the scales correct?  Baffin Island looks absolutely massive compared to New Guinea, but the link seems to make out that New Guinea is the same, if not bigger.

(Still cool though)

Mercator map distortion exaggerates the size of landmasses closer to the poles of the Earth

Clicky

This incredible map tool reveals just how much the Mercator map distorts the world

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/11/2021 at 00:39, TheAuthority said:

My uncle was in the same class as him 👍🏻

During his wilderness years (before Page & Plant unplugged for MTV) he used to go The French Connection at the top of lower High Street in Stourbridge every Saturday and eat garlic bread and drink tea. My best mate worked there and said he was really boring. 

This was before the idea of re-becoming famous happened. It used to be once you had your time it was over. Now people seem to be famous forever even if the only good thing they did was over 50 years ago.

The grey pound goes a long way

Â