Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

54 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

50561993-10208761-A_fascinating_remodell

Macy's isn't really a fashion brand.   It's a department store that sells national brands and also has a number of its own "store brands" of different names.   As far as I know, there a few, if any, fashion items that actually have Macy's as the brand name on the tag.   Even if this is accounting for all in house brands of Macy's, I have trouble believing it would be the top brand in the US.  They don't even have stores throughout the country and, although it's certainly not a luxury store, i have trouble seeing them coming close to Trumpland's favorite outlet for all things godly and American, Walmart.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

I can't find Själland Denmark on that. Surely an island even if it's connected with both Sweden and Jylland by bridges.

They possibly didn't bother because they included the Islands of the New version

EDIT: joking aside it is there, bottom but one row above the space left after the last entry

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoelVilla said:

Of course, didn't really connect the dots with Zealand. 

To be honest, I hadn't realised until looking it up just now that Zealand *wasn't* its Danish name.

Having gone down a bit of a rabbit hole on this, I don't know where the chart makers got the information from, but it's not Wikipedia, who have 100th-placed Guadalcanal here as the 110th-largest island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area

There seem to be some classification disputes (such as 'do fluvial (river) islands count?') and also some difficulties deciding whether some land in Antarctica under the ice shelf is actually an island or not, as well as some disputes on area.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, I hadn't realised until looking it up just now that Zealand *wasn't* its Danish name.

Having gone down a bit of a rabbit hole on this, I don't know where the chart makers got the information from, but it's not Wikipedia, who have 100th-placed Guadalcanal here as the 110th-largest island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_area

There seem to be some classification disputes (such as 'do fluvial (river) islands count?') and also some difficulties deciding whether some land in Antarctica under the ice shelf is actually an island or not, as well as some disputes on area.

Zealand was 96th in the Wiki List, The Wiki List also had what I can only imagine is incomplete data as some Island off Brazil had a much lower area listed than its place in the list waranted

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Zealand was 96th in the Wiki List, The Wiki List also had what I can only imagine is incomplete data as some Island off Brazil had a much lower area listed than its place in the list waranted

Yeah, definitely wouldn't take Wikipedia as gospel on this, eg the entry for 90th placed Roosevelt Island says 'status as an island is disputed', and then if you read the opening of the relevant article it says 'despite its name, it is not an island, since the bedrock below the ice at its highest part is below sea level', so it seems different Wiki writers have different views on the topic, and as you say some of the data just seems to be wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2021 at 11:03, Xann said:

https://www.windy.com/

Play with the bar on the right, click on more layers.

Really impressive site.

yeah, been using it for a couple of years or more. I was put on to it by our Flight Test people, who reckon it's as good as the paid for stuff they get specific for the purpose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

yeah, been using it for a couple of years or more. I was put on to it by our Flight Test people, who reckon it's as good as the paid for stuff they get specific for the purpose.

Used to really like the Universal Satellite Server during the Napster era. Windy seems like a proper milestone further down that development path.

Â