Possibly interesting maps...

tonyh29

I'm more puzzled by the green areas of @bickster's European Platypus map, to be honest. IIRC (it's been a while since I read about it), the platypus lost the 'Platypus' part of its official scientific name not long after its first official description/classification, because the name had already been used elsewhere. I can (sort of) understand the name sticking around in the English language,  but in Greek as well?

34 minutes ago, TB said:

I'm more puzzled by the green areas of @bickster's European Platypus map, to be honest. IIRC (it's been a while since I read about it), the platypus lost the 'Platypus' part of its official scientific name not long after its first official description/classification, because the name had already been used elsewhere. I can (sort of) understand the name sticking around in the English language,  but in Greek as well?

The word platypus itself derives from Greek

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The word platypus itself derives from Greek

Yes, I know (wide/flat + foot). So does the 'new' genus name Ornithorhynchus (bird + snout), assigned by a different scientist a single year later, though... I admit that I had to look that bit up in order to get the spelling correct. By and large, Greek is ... well... Greek to me. I appreciate that the 'new' name is more of a mouthful than Platypus, and if you're suggesting that platypus was an established Greek word, known to British scholars back in 1799, while the new genus name was not a 'real' word, but merely a construction, I get why those bits on the map are green.

It’s going to be the eye colour of “someone” from each state.  Every state has a senator, governor, richest resident etc.  

My guess is it’s the eye colour of each states’ most successful rounders player based on some statistical measure.   

22 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

It’s going to be the eye colour of “someone” from each state.  Every state has a senator, governor, richest resident etc.  

My guess is it’s the eye colour of each states’ most successful rounders player based on some statistical measure.   

Yep, it's a terrible map of states by Governors eye color (see what I did there)

Â