The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Lambert didnt spend 40 million + pounds in one off season.

When Sherwood arrived he inherited a squad that had played 25 games, had 22 points and had scored 12 goals

Damn, I almost forgot but things were actually this bad.

25 games and 22 points.  With that reckoning Tim will have 28 games with 16pts.  Sack this moron before its to late.

May aswell end the season now. GG united and LVG, you won the league. LOLChelsea this season, only managed to get 43.428571 points. Looks like the last game or two saved them from relegation

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 2

Oh yes. lets get Viera in. He is brimming with managerial experience isnt he? Still he is foreign and therefore not a cockney wide boy so thats ok then . 

Not at all. I just believe Vieira could relate to the whole squad given his background, and would be an exciting potential appointment given his growing reputation as a coach. I think every genuine Villa fan wants Tim to succeed here, and I am sure he will be given every opportunity to do so. I will not forget what he did for us last season whatever happens in the future. UTV.

It is not the same as the Bale/Spurs situation is it. Sherwood lost arguably the four best players he inherited in Benteke, Delph, Vlaar and Cleverley. I think Benteke is a 30 mill player, Delph a 12 - 15 mill player, Vlaar 4 - 5 mill and Cleverley would be considered a 6 - 8 mill player. Lets be conservative and say 50 mill + in total.  Those were probably the only 4 players we had in the squad last season who could get into top 8 sides, aside from Grealish, as shown by the fact three of them now play for teams likely at the very least to finish in the top 8 this season.

Sherwood has spent 50 mill and had to replace the 4 best players he had. Those four best players in a squad that finished 17th. For me had we have kept those players we would have needed to spend 20 mill to push on. We didn't. I do however think Sherwood spent the money he had well and given time I am still very hopeful that we will kick on this season and not be in danger of relegation come the arse end of the season.

No, not the same but an example (albeit an extreme one) to demonstrate that the net spend figure in itself isn't the be-all and end-all. 

It's worth noting that Vlaar was replaced by a bosman signing so that has no bearing on the money that was spent. I grant you the others but that doesn't alter my viewpoint. Namely that £50m is a big budget and one that was sufficient - if used wisely - to finance the rebuilding process including replacements.

Such outlay automatically demands a juncture from the pattern of previous seasons. I'd presume you agree to an extent seeing as you maintain that we will not find ourselves in a dogfight come the business end of the season. Problem is that the manager himself now disagrees (publicly at least) and says the aim is simply to fall over the line again. If he does not believe in his ability to make any tangible progress this season, why exactly should we?

Edited by Isa

The Villa job is a poisoned chalice. After the WBA game a pal of mine started looking at Lambert reign after too many grogs then the subsequent rose tinted spectacles. He was mentioning some good times we had and one example was Norwich away in the cup. I was quick to remind him about what happened the round after. It is easy to forgot how bad it was not too long ago and the length of time we had to endure it has rightfully took its toll on us fans. Anyway, point being I think Sherwood is far the better manager and better man for the job. He has assembled a good squad and it feels he has got the players on side. (Grealish celebration as an example.) We have to give him time as it is early days with his team and I do think we have the squad to at least be not be flirting with relegation. It isn't a massive ask!!!! My main concern is that Sherwood is starting to come across a little defeated talking about relegation so soon. The things we all found refreshing are fading and I want them back. Get your gilet and throw it when Milner scores. Just something! Also, he said 'we go again' after Leicester and I shuddered.

@bunnski Thing is, I can't really argue with your assessment on Sherwood right now. I just suspect that he'll improve with time. For me the real question remains whether or not a struggling club in the nation's top division is the right place for him to learn.

Oh, and this should have quoted your last post. I am not a fan of this new quoting system.

It really is shit.

Taking time to settle doesn't mean we should be in the relegation zone, especially given our relatively easy start to the campaign in terms of fixtures.

Indeed, 1 point from Sunderland, Leicester and West Brom is disgraceful and our performances, if anything, are getting worse not better. 

There really are absolutely no excuses for where we are in the table, none whatsoever. 

• Like 3

I'll say it again - we're 7 games into the season with a new squad. Sure, I accept things need to improve but Sherwood needs more than 7 games. He saved us last season therefore deserves a fair amount of time. if we're struggling after 19 games then maybe action may be needed but i'm optimistic we'll be looking a lot better then.

• Like 1

One thing I am sure is that 7 games is not enough. I'm not going to turn on a manger after a handful of games with his new signings. What are we? Sunderland?! 

I'll remain in the optimistic camp for the time being. 

• Like 2

Sherwoods biggest mistake so far has been putting his trust in bang average players over new, but better players.He needs to get Veretout in the team ahead of Westwood, Ayew ahead of Gabby/Sinclair, and Traore in as soon as possible.

A midfield of Gana Sanchez and Veretout has to be indulged for a while for the long term benefit, and with Gestede being the only obvious goal threst, we need to play players alongside him who compliment him better, but aren't neccessarily our better players.

Have to say not sure about Lescott yet, and yday emphasised the need for a vociferous organizor in the team as well.All 3 of their goals was poor communication between the defence and the midfield.

• Like 2

Taking time to settle doesn't mean we should be in the relegation zone, especially given our relatively easy start to the campaign in terms of fixtures.

I said at the start of the season that our opening run of games actually isn't as good as people thought due to players settling into the league etc.  It's a shame we haven't garnered more points, but I'd have rather faced all the big guns at the start really.

Sherwood needs, deserves, and will get, more than 7 games. The problem appears to be that his decision-making is not improving. The players he has brought in, I like, and I think we could have a good team if he gives the correct personnel a chance to play together. For instance, on Tuesday, Grealish and Ayew looked good together - why was Ayew not playing yesterday?

So many instances over the last number of games his decision-making has cost us points. Poor starting line ups, poor substitutions made too late. I like the guy, I like his confident, engaging personality. My worry is that he is not taking lessons on board. Does any other member of his team have an input, or does he insist on doing it his way. Is this why Wilkins sits a couple of seats away from him looking disinterested?

His deficiencies are not that easy to overcome, and it will be quite a challenge for him to do so. But he should at least get the time to try to improve.

• Like 2

Sherwoods biggest mistake so far has been putting his trust in bang average players over new, but better players.He needs to get Veretout in the team ahead of Westwood, Ayew ahead of Gabby/Sinclair, and Traore in as soon as possible.

A midfield of Gana Sanchez and Veretout has to be indulged for a while for the long term benefit, and with Gestede being the only obvious goal threst, we need to play players alongside him who compliment him better, but aren't neccessarily our better players.

Have to say not sure about Lescott yet, and yday emphasised the need for a vociferous organizor in the team as well.All 3 of their goals was poor communication between the defence and the midfield.

Agreed. He needs to trust his own judgement in the players he brought in.

When we win its all about him.

When we don't it's down to the players.

That seems to be the general theme to his post match comments.

Good managers often aren't at their best when dealing with the press:

Ferguson's fall-outs with the media are legendary, but the lifting of this ban has shocked even his colleagues, particularly as there has been no apology at any point of the complex, tortuous process. It culminated in the BBC's director general, Mark Thompson, travelling to Manchester to meet Ferguson face to face and hear his grievances about the 2004 documentary, Father and Son, about him and his son Jason, then working as a football agent, which had led to Ferguson severing contact.

There has never been a manager better at using and controlling the press than Fergie. He certainly never did what I'm accusing Sherwood of doing so this is just an odd post all around. 

You dispute the point? Good managers often have a difficult time with the press? Was I making some other point? No. 

Â