The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

That was the worst first half performance I have seen from Villa in a long time...really bad

We gave them too much respect and just played hoof ball. They play against that sort of football all the time

Thankfully, the second half was a totally different performance. Grealish and Ayew made a massive difference and we were the better side.

I was really impressed with Ayew, he started to show glimpses of the player we hoped we'd signed

I just hope that Tim Sherwood was blagging the media when he said that first half was all part of his plan

• Like 2

Doesn't he even get a little credit for giving Ayew a whole half? A player some fans had already written off. 

Also does anyone really think Grealish would have had same impact on the whole 90 minutes. Been able to play with the same intensity all the way through? 

Would many fans have started the second half with Grealish Sinclair Ayew and Gestede on the pitch? That's 4 very attacking players and three of them tracked back very well when needed too. 

So easy to shoot Sherwood down yet some are determined to not give him credit even when we win! 

I've been very critical of Sherwood lately but it's undeniable that he deserves credit for changing the game around - he needs to learn from this and build on the lift that the victory has given us. I'm going to hold my tongue/fingers until after the Liverpool game. 

• Like 1

Lulling them into a false sense of security in the first half was part of the plan. Without that we wouldn't have looked so devastating  in the second half. Just when they dare to think they're our equals, boom! We show them what it's all about, in the end the scoreline flattered them.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

Doesn't he even get a little credit for giving Ayew a whole half? A player some fans had already written off. 

Also does anyone really think Grealish would have had same impact on the whole 90 minutes. Been able to play with the same intensity all the way through? 

Would many fans have started the second half with Grealish Sinclair Ayew and Gestede on the pitch? That's 4 very attacking players and three of them tracked back very well when needed too. 

So easy to shoot Sherwood down yet some are determined to not give him credit even when we win! 

I've been very critical of Sherwood lately but it's undeniable that he deserves credit for changing the game around - he needs to learn from this and build on the lift that the victory has given us. I'm going to hold my tongue/fingers until after the Liverpool game. 

fair enough. I'm a Sherwood fan but even I admit he has a lot to learn. But I still think the results will start to come once the team starts to gel and new players like Ayew and Veretout show their talent. We also have Adami to return who could be a world beater. I'm going to give Sherwood until new year before the knives are out. 

• Like 1

Guus Hiddink (a manager I rate very highly) used to have a saying:  "You don't win games in the first half - you lose them"

I think that is where Tim is coming from. He didn't mean for us to be deliberately dire, he just wanted to make sure we battled and didn't get caught out conceding a soft goal.

Sherwood said something similar after the Bournemouth win

"We knew it would be tough.  We wanted at the start of the game to keep it tight…..I wasn’t bothered if both teams didn’t have a shot in the first period, it was all part of the plan…Second half is what I wanted to do, step into them, show them a little bit less respect, get more bodies forward, be braver in possession….and we bossed the game in the second period."

Seems obvious to me.

Those criticising him are maybe seeing what they want to see.

Of course he isnt saying we deliberately played badly.

And I love the guy with the 20-20 hindsight who knows wed have won easier Jack had started ! No chance at all for you to consider the possibilities he MIGHT have not found the same space, he MIGHT have had less success against fresher legs, or he MIGHT have played from the start but not very well ?

NoNo, clearly we DEFINITELY would have beaten them easier. Who knew football was so easy ?

• Like 2

What I found worrying was in his post match interview he tried to claim the plan all along was to play it long in the first half and then change it at half time. That's clearly a lie. He got his selection/tactics wrong in the first half and had to change it at halftime to something that worked. Good managers don't have to haul off a centre back at half time because their team was so bad in the first half. He talks like a spoofer which worries me a lot. The "Tactics" Tim name will stick.

Tim just can't do any right for some people let's face it.   Anyway, I thought it a bit odd that he just seemed to go more or less straight down the tunnel at the end of the game .

I not going to read to much into a post match interview and pick over every word.

We were crap in the first half, the selection was wrong IMO, in the second half he changed it and we were better. I don't really care if that was part of a plan or not, Tim has deservedly got some Pelter's on here for not being adaptable during games, yesterday that changed. I'm not bothered at all by the first half, everyone makes mistakes, he saw it, he changed it, we won.

He deserves credit.

Edited by av1

It was an odd interview. He was so adamant that it was his plan all along to be dreadful and then be quite good. Methinks the lady doth protest too much. It was odd all around. Mainly because of Dwight Yorke thinking that his role was to interrogate him, despite at the best of times Dwight being incapable of putting a sentence together more coherent than, sorry Katie I've forgotten to bring any condoms. For a man who comes from a country where the official language is English (admittedly it not being what they actually speak) and having been living in England most of his life, his grasp of the basic structures of the English language are pretty terrible. And I'm not getting on his back because of his English. He spat his dummy out when looking for a move to Man Utd. And he rarely has much good to say about Villa or the fans, despite the fact that if it weren't for us he'd be driving a taxi around The Port of Spain or doing soccer tricks on the street for tourists. I just don't like him.

And then to hear him pretend to be a big man when it was time to ask Tim a few questions. Like he's Judge Judy or something. As if he has an insight other than, you weren't very good in the first half.... quality.... players... Thought Tim handled him as well as could be expected. Dwight Yorke is an inarticulate idiot.

A pretty MASSIVE caveat, don't you think?

Guus Hiddink (a manager I rate very highly) used to have a saying:  "You don't win games in the first half - you lose them"

I think that is where Tim is coming from. He didn't mean for us to be deliberately dire, he just wanted to make sure we battled and didn't get caught out conceding a soft goal.

Did that sentiment pop out of a Christmas cracker he pulled with Eric Cantona?

Yoda, he say, 'very much more to that quote than meets the eye, I hope there is'. Man City were winning 4-0 at half-time last night, but sure, you only win games in the second half. 

Not sure what's so brilliant about what Rowett has said there, just seems like a bit of a sore loser. When Sherwood says he meant the first half, I don't think he means that he meant us to be rubbish, just that he meant us to be less of an attacking threat. It was a devastatingly effective feint of hand from Sherwood that put into their minds a false sense of security allowing us to  catch them out in the second half using the ancient element of surprise.

just, how i saw it.

Yoda, he say, 'very much more to that quote than meets the eye, I hope there is'. Man City were winning 4-0 at half-time last night, but sure, you only win games in the second half. 

Shankly also said " you have to WIN THE RIGHT to play football".....Thats what we set out to do.

• Like 2

Tim usually loses games in the second half though. But last night he made the wrong decisions but then put it right.

The points you make are so relevant in my view.....The creative players do find it difficult to keep up that intensity for 90 minutes, well said.....I'm not sure all fans get that.

We did the ugly stuff first and granted it was ugly, but it was the right way to do it in my view.....In the ideal world you try to get players who can do both.....but if twe can get some winning momentum, some of that will improve with the players we have.

We have been using them from the start and come the business end of the game they are mentally and physically jaded.....just remember we are asking them to be " flat out" all of the time.

• Like 1

He deserves a lot of credit for changing things. 

Look, the first half selection was a disgrace, utterly brainless, but the changes changed the game. I've been very critical about him not learning and not making the right changes, but perhaps, having seen other teams turning games around against us with subs, Tim has finally cottoned on to it. 

Â