The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

I'm utterly sick of the tone of posts on here.

If I were in a pub and Blues fans were attacking our guy like this I reckon its end in tears....

Im off, I'll miss the more reasonable debaters, and I'll use the site for information, but that's me .

What on earth has the guy done for some to despise him so much ?

He's an absolute bell end to be fair.

I'm happy for him to be our manager and think he did a very good job last year and, whilst it's too early to tell, I think he'll do a good job this year too.

But I think he's a dick. That's probably why some people dislike him more than is rational. Jose Mourinho is a dick as well by the way, I'm not saying it effects his performance.

He is a bit of a dick but I'd rather that than the previous two managers who are possibly the dullest individuals on the planet!!

• Like 2

He did right tonight....UGLY first half.....and then bring on the violinists.

People are actually buying his claim that it was a deliberate approach to the game to be so shit that the team was booed off. Unbelievable.

If we'd have had Grealish on in the first half, we'd have won a lot more comfortably.

You only go through to the next round, no matter how comfortably you win.

TS had to weigh up resting players, against winning a potential banana skin cup tie

We won, we're through to the next round. Mission accomplished - Nothing to see here, move on please.

What manager is not a dick though? Rodgers, Mourinho, LVG, Wenger, Martinez, Koeman not a likeable one in that bunch and thats 6 of probably top 8 teams in the league

I find it pretty hard to dislike any of Wenger, Martinez or Koeman from that list.  What makes them "dicks"?

I don't have a problem with Sherwood for what it's worth (bizarre interview aside).  Not entirely sure he's a "dick" to the level of Mourinho at all.

A post that starts with sack this moron has got a load of likes, the day after we've progressed in the cup after beating our local rivals. From some who didn't want Lambert to go. Amazing. 

I think people are really jumping on the chance to take the piss, Sherwood didn't say the plan was to play badly and get booed off, he said the plan was to play direct in order to push their defence back and set up space for us in the second half with a different approach. I'm not sure I buy it, but its certainly not worth the stick some can't wait to dish out after we've beaten Birmingham city in a cup competition. 

This amount of stick for a guy who has had 7 games with HIS squad is absolutely ridiculous. It's the sort of stuff I'd expect from Newcastle fans, after 5 years of utter shit I really don't know why fans won't get behind such massive changes, that most wanted and were over the **** moon with. 

What does Lambert have to do with any of anything, out of interest?

Don't understand why his name is repeatedly dragged up.  He was sacked months ago!

• Like 1

A post that starts with sack this moron has got a load of likes, the day after we've progressed in the cup after beating our local rivals. From some who didn't want Lambert to go. Amazing. 

I think people are really jumping on the chance to take the piss, Sherwood didn't say the plan was to play badly and get booed off, he said the plan was to play direct in order to push their defence back and set up space for us in the second half with a different approach. I'm not sure I buy it, but its certainly not worth the stick some can't wait to dish out after we've beaten Birmingham city in a cup competition. 

This amount of stick for a guy who has had 7 games with HIS squad is absolutely ridiculous. It's the sort of stuff I'd expect from Newcastle fans, after 5 years of utter shit I really don't know why fans won't get behind such massive changes, that most wanted and were over the **** moon with. 

Don't understand why his name is repeatedly dragged up.  He was sacked months ago!

You're saying people haven't stopped talking about Lambert… hell they haven't stopped talking about MON yet, the echo's of Lambert will be heard for a good while yet

Because you and a few others repeatedly told us week after week to stick with Lambert after utter dross performances and when Lambert was criticised for the way he came across in interviews, we were told by the same few posters 'Why are people bothered so much by his interviews, they mean nothing'. Now the rules seem to have changed probably because they did not want Sherwood. These same posters are slating Sherwood for his interviews and not giving him a fair crack of the whip where Lambert would have been given another 2 years grace in the Championship. People are saying what a performance from Ayew last night. Does Sherwood not get the credit for improving him in training?

Must admit I like the guy.  OK he is a bit cocky and arrogant sometimes, but a manager has to be confident in themselves and what they are doing. He only speaks highly of the Villa fans and the club as far as I can tell and he seems passionate and committed to trying to drag the club out mire.  So why is he an absolute bell end?    Genuinely interested to know why some fans dislike him so much, what exactly has he done?

Totally agree with this post. I don't think he's a dick.

Overall i think i like him.It was utter shite what he come out with last night, but the players hes brought in, the potential we have considering who we have lost, and the amount of exciting players we have is quite exciting, as long as they have time to develop/gel.

Gil/Grealish/Traore look as good as any footballer i have seen down VP in the last 20 years.Veretout and Ayew are at least looking as if they are worth the money we paid for them, and Avami and Richards look good signings as well.

Its going to be a roller coaster with Sherwood, but since BFR it has become a bit depressing down VP tbh.

Not sure if I am one of the posters others think is being disloyal, but if so, don't get me wrong. I am with Sherwood as far as possible, and I want him to succeed, but I did not like that silly interview, and I doubt very much that the game worked out as he planned. He may be a dick, but he is our dick, and I like him. Does not mean I cannot criticise him. It is not all black and white, you know, most things in life are shades of grey. He gets plenty of plaudits from me, I am entitled to criticise as well.

• Like 1

I think Sherwood is always going to a Marmite manager. Some will like his upbeat/BS style others will not. I don't give a damn either way how he is with the media as long as he gets us going again. From a technical/tactical perspective of course their are concerns but I don't see the point of making it personal - he is what he is. Over the years I have been appalled at the way fans here and elsewhere have abused managers. Of course I have bitched like the rest but it is now just an online free for all, where individuals can sit behind their keyboards and vent their spleen spurred on by the media who love as much controversy as possible

When Ron Saunders joined the club, many fans really couldn't stand the bloke, especially when he got rid of two of our stars players: Gray and Gidman and because he was so dour and wouldn't play the media's game.

But when we started to do really well, very few would have a bad word said against him apart from the players he sold or dumped.

When we won the league he became a legend, was universally loved by the fans and people were gutted when he walked in 1982 months before the European Cup Final. even when he immediately went to sha most couldn't hate him and reserved their vitriol for the club. It was because of him that we won the league and his team that won the European Cup. If Sherwood only got us into the top half of the PL and pushing for European places, people will forgive his character traits.

Ultimately it is all about the performances and results not personalities. All that said, whether Sherwood can live up to his own hype remains to be seen.

Edited by MikeMcKenna
  • Like 3

Sack this moron before its to late.  First half was worst performance ive ever saw from a Villa side and thats saying something!

We are finding it a tad hard to believe that a Premier League manager’s plan against Championship opposition was to let them think they were much, much better…

When Alex McLeish is in the Sky Sports studio baffled at the amateurish nature of Aston Villa’s first-half performance, you know things are going badly. One shot on target badly. Just 72% pass completion badly. Hit hopeful/hopeless balls towards the head of Rudy Gestede (who has defiantly not got a good touch for a big man) badly. Dwight Yorke seemed almost close to tears as he talked about a basic lack of quality in a Villa side playing against Championship Birmingham and looking very much second best.

Centre-half Ciaran Clark was predictably lost in midfield (while actual midfielder Carlos Sanchez was sat on the bench), the ball was bouncing off Gestede, Scott Sinclair was continuing his love affair with hitting the side netting from a very tight angle and Gabby Agbonlahor looked like he was playing with the weight of all his ladyfriends on his back.

At half-time something had to change. And it did. Agbonlahor came off for Jordan Ayew, while Joleon Lescott was substituted and replaced by Jack Grealish, who entirely changed the match by moving in between Birmingham’s lines, linking with Ayew and wonderful left-back Jordan Amavi and generally playing football. Things were better. Two shots on target (one of which was a goal) better. An impressive 85.5% pass completion better. Not brilliant, not groundbreaking, but much, much better.

We expected manager Tim Sherwood – after being widely criticised for his bizarre substitutions against Crystal Palace and Leicester – to soak up the applause for making positive changes while acknowledging that the first half was truly awful. ‘I fixed it’ should have been the proud boast, and we would have said ‘fair play; he fixed it’.

But no. ‘I planned it’ was the proud boast. Yorke’s distraught face was an absolute picture as Sherwood explained that he had planned to be so utterly terrible in the first half in order to lull Birmingham into a false sense of security. Apparently his plan at home against a Championship side in a derby game was an extended version of rope-a-dope.

“The plan worked,” said Sherwood with a straight face. “We went two different ways. First half, we looked to stretch them out, go very direct.

“Second half, they could not cope with the change. We looked to get the ball down, we popped it around, and found space in between lines. Before you know it, the ball is in the back of the net, because Grealish has got in between lines and flicked it out.

“We always want to play free-flowing football but sometimes you’re not capable of doing that. We let them know that we are willing to mix it up. It wasn’t pretty, we understand that, but we are looking to get a result.

“Second half, I think if you look at the position of their centre-halves, they pushed another 10 yards further back, and they could not adjust.”

So it was a cunning plan. A cunning plan that relied entirely on Birmingham not scoring in that opening 45 minutes when Jacques Maghoma and Demarai Gray failed to convert very good chances gifted to them by Villa’s incompetence. That’s one ballsy plan.

We would happily call bullsh*t at this point but that would obviously look churlish after a 1-0 win. So we will instead leave the last word to Birmingham manager Gary Rowett:

“I have heard Tim said he purposely let us do that in the first half so they could change tactics in the second half but I’m not sure a tactic of getting booed at half-time would particularly be a good one.”

Indeed

There is no way I want him sacked at this stage - how ridiculous a suggestion that is. 

However, the rest of your post I can pretty much agree with, to be fair. 

I just find it quite amazing that people who consistently defended lambert for nearly everything, made excuse after excuse for him and fully believed in him, like a post that said "sack this moron" and then was basically an article slagging the manager off, after we win a derby game and advance in the cup after the 7th game we've played where he's had his own squad. 

• Like 1

Tim Sherwood set out to take the sting out of what is a vibrant Birmingham city team who are flying in the championship....They are on the front foot and despite our partisan  approach to the game you have to give them a bit of credit.

We have seen far worse teams than Blues turn us over at Villa Park.

Its folly to accuse him of setting out to play like that and to say he set the team up to get booed is quite ridiculous......He got it right last night and we are still debating him.

We have been playing well in spells this season despite the results being pants and now we have the result and some are bitching about the first half......( I have never been interested in first halves) we could get relegated on good first halves and poor second halves of every game.

It is starting to sound like heads you are crap Tim...Oh Tails you are crap Tim

Some Fans didn't like Ron Saunders.....They are never going to change if they don't like Tim.

It's not a case of disliking the manager - he just does himself no favours.

The changes worked, and he deserves credit for that, but this wasn't a good game.  The first half was woeful, to come out after the game and essentially say "yeah, that was the plan" is ludicrous.  If his interview was more complementary towards Blues and saying he had to change things up because of the way things were going, people would be saying he did well and we wouldn't have such fuss.  He didn't do this.

Why is it folly to accuse him of setting out to play like that when he himself said in that silly interview that that was what he did?

And as you say, better teams than them have turned us over at Villa Park, so he was taking one helluva chance. The starting lineup looked poor, particularly with Clark in midfield, so no surprise we were so bad. We were lucky not to be behind at HT. We won, and of course that is brilliant, especially that second half performance, and hopefully that might be a springboard for our upcoming games. To me, he is guilty of over-thinking things, instead of just keeping it simple. He was a lucky boy last night, and it may not always be so.

Â