The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Didn't want Tim,  didn't like Tim.  But now he's our manager I find his interviews entertaining and I'm happy to see him try different things to win a game.  At least he changed the game on Tuesday,  if Lambert was still in charge we wouldn't have.  That's a big thing for me.  If something isn't working then as long as the manager can see it and changes it I have no complaints.  Something that didn't happen under the previous regime.  

He still gets lots of time from me to find his best team/tactics. 

Just needs a win in the Premier League.  

• Like 1

I find it odd how important some people find post-match interviews from the managers we've had. I guess that's because I'm more concerned about what I'm seeing on the pitch than a soundbite or an excuse - Lambert used to always come under fire because he wasn't a media personality and Sherwood seems to have some supporters because of his 'cheeky banter' demeanour. I just don't get why it's important.

If it had been cheeky banter it would have been very funny and very much in line with his usual quite entertaining interviews, but he was serious, and that was what made me cringe. 

I find it odd how important some people find post-match interviews from the managers we've had. I guess that's because I'm more concerned about what I'm seeing on the pitch than a soundbite or an excuse - Lambert used to always come under fire because he wasn't a media personality and Sherwood seems to have some supporters because of his 'cheeky banter' demeanour. I just don't get why it's important.

If it had been cheeky banter it would have been very funny and very much in line with his usual quite entertaining interviews, but he was serious, and that was what made me cringe. 

What makes me cringe is when he says things like 'I ain't never'. It's just... horrible.

Well, everyone's been having some fun in here ay?

I was at the game on Sat, and Sherwood was completely out thought by Pulis. Pulis very much did a number on us in quite a basic hard working classic boring Pulis way. They owned the midfield, closed down spaces quickly and stifled us and in response we forgot how to pass the football and looked totally toothless. We *should* have had the players now to be able to move the ball quickly enough keeping possession to wait for a gap and exploit it. Instead, even though we did have more of the ball we kept breaking down and turning over possession any time we got near them. Sherwood must be to blame for not sorting out his midfield in that game.

Tues, first half we were appalling, not Clark's fault either I think he could play there but the 11 on the pitch were woeful not just Clark. Second half, Ayew showed some very nice technique in the important parts of the pitch and Grealish looked a different player to the one I saw on Sat. Sherwood has to take the credit for changing it there surely?

So some plusses and some negatives. The reaction to the presser is a bit mental though, Sherwood only says he went direct then changed it at half time. Both of those things are true. Rowett said it was odd that his tactics were to get booed at half time and then we panicked and changed it and it worked. Sherwood never said it was his intention to play shit and then surprise them by not being shit in the second half. If he did I would expect him to be in an asylum fairly shortly never mind sacked. What he said was that he set us up to play direct, which would explain going from back to front so quickly and the 60 yard through balls to no-one. We shouldn't have to put words in the mouth of a gobby cockney surely? ;)

I think he's feeling the pressure, as he should be given the points return. I think he is right though that we have played better football than the points tally might reflect. Hopefully he has the balls and the gumption to stick to decent football and learn from his mistakes tactically and get us out of the shit.

I think had the Leicester result not happened in the way it did then we would have kept going for it against Blues instead of kinda shutting up shop a bit.  That to me says the bloke is learning and that's all I ask of him.  

Agreed, the mood around here would have been so much better as well. The Leicester result put a massive dent into a lot of people's perceptions unfortunately.

The things i can't get my head round is his comments to York regarding Clark. 

He said 'ive seen Clark playing millions of times for Aston Villa as a DM' 

Either my memory is gone from years of booze or Sherwood is believing the lies that comes out of his mouth.  

Did I mishear him or something maybe?

Either my memory is gone from years of booze or Sherwood is believing the lies that comes out of his mouth.  

You misheard who he was talking to, He was talking to McLeish who said that he had used Clark their before. The rest of it you heard correctly.

I think had the Leicester result not happened in the way it did then we would have kept going for it against Blues instead of kinda shutting up shop a bit.  That to me says the bloke is learning and that's all I ask of him.  

I agree.  In our previous couple of games we had suffered because they pushed up, hustled and dominated our midfield.  It's reasonable to believe that Tim anticipated Rowett might try to do the same, so wanted play more directly with a few more balls over the top to push them back or "stretch them out" as he put it.  The fact that the plan didn’t really work too well, yet Tim appeared to be claiming it did, is what wound people up.  On the positive side, at least he tried something different and adapted when it wasn't working. Tim seems a little too keen to prove his tactical competence which is probably why he claimed his plan worked.  But announcing tactical plans after every game is probably not the shrewdest thing to do.  Not only can it make you look a bit silly, we have 32 PL games to go and the walls have ears!

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Maybe he was talking about the fact that he watches him play there in training all the time.  That's all I can come up with.

I was happy to give Tim some praise for his substitutions after the match the other night until i heard his interview

I assumed that he'd seen Lescott & Gabby have stinkers with his own eyes (and Clark in midfield) and decide on some tactical reshuffle. But after hearing him it seemed more of a 'i had to do it' rather than i thought the changes would make all the difference tactically

Clark better start at CB on Saturday, and Gabby better not be near the first eleven either IMHO anyway

I'd also sacrifice either Gestede or Sinclair from the side that finished the other night to put an extra body in midfield

Oh, Bacuna can sit one out again too, bloody awful again

Agree completely. I always hated it when Lambert got torn apart because he said "We go again" or claimed we were good when the fans thought we weren't quite so good.

It's the same with Sherwood. I don't like what Sherwood says to the media, but I recognise that it doesn't really matter. It's what he says to the players that matter.

The emphasis some fans put on press conferences and post match interviews is absurd

• Like 2

Oh come on, HA, we all exaggerate at times, I know I do. He did not mean it literally.

There's something about this thread that I really, really, really hate.

It's driving me batshit crazy -- the repetitive cycle of Good Tim Bad Tim Good Tim Bad Tim.

And yet I can't seem to stop myself from having a look every ten minutes.

It's a lark, ain't it?  The saga of Tim's Mighty Villa is probably the reason I joined this fine forum after years of moderate lurking.  If nothing else Tim has certainly livened this place up.  Made men out of boys.

Tim's a dreamer.  I'm sure he fantasises about cup final heroics and last minute Champions League equalisers and whatnot.  And he believes in his dreams.  They'd crush him otherwise.  But then, so did all the other tech geniuses who didn't become a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates, or all the super-literate cineastes who thought they would become the new Tarantino.  It's exciting to have our very own Barnstorming Adventure/Ego Trip, just with the caveat that these things can not only end badly, but messily too.  It happens to some good 'uns.  But when it works, boy do the sparks fly.  Yes, Villa deserve wins and stability and success, but so do many teams.  We really, really, really deserve a little verve and adventure, and I believe we'll get that.  45 points or more this season, Tim, and maybe my heart is yours.

Â