The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

One thing that worries me is that he might be a bit Redknappesque in the transfer market, going by some of the names we've been linked with and the way Given has been chosen over Guzan and the talk of offering Bent a new deal.

Probably. This is why it's important the club still push on for a DOF and do not make the mistake of leaving everything to him. Just not worth the risk. I guess this will depend on the ownership.

Just because we are linked with these players doesn't mean he's after them. 

Of course but I still maintain its important we get a proper DOF (Nothing like Spurs before people mention it) as it will be very naive and probably a costly mistake if things don't work out with someone who has zero experience in this situation. I would want Sherwood to get his own players in of course but with guidance. I also think it's slightly naive to put it all down to paper talk, I do genuinely believe he is interested in a few mentioned.

• Like 1

He deserves credit for not relegating us. If Lambert stayed we were down for certain imo.

However, today was evidence that he still has a lot to learn. Playing a high line against a team that presses like Southampton, with the sluggish Ron Vlaar, was daft as ****.

Win us the FA Cup and I'll warm to him... maybe.

• Like 1

Sherwood thought our guys were up to it and set us up attacking, just like before. Nothing wrong with that.

Ten minutes in, our back four and keeper lose it completely resulting in a 3-0. The game was basically over.

When at 3-0 down, do you move for damage limitation, or try to attack to get back? I'd do the latter, and so did Tim. I don't think that's wrong. What would you have said if he started to defend a 3-0 loss by changing into a more defensive tactic?

I also think he wanted to keep Vlaar and Okore out there to try and get their confidence back for the last two games, it's not like he has many choices. They failed again. That's what I worry, not Tim's tactics.

Not Tim's day today obviously, but I do see why he did what he did.

• Like 1

Thank you Tim for getting us to Premier League survival despite the mess you inherited. Amazing how you achieved it despite the fact that no other manager in the world could do better than Lambert in the circumstances.

• Like 4

Indeed 4-4-2 in the cup final please sitting deep counter with Gabby.

Today was a shocker with the gung-ho football and can only actually compare us to Arsenal who have been done over by big scorelines doing the same. You never see Chelsea, Real, Barca etc losing by silly scorelines it just doesn't happen. 

To be fair you've just listed three of the most expensively assembled teams in the history of any sport, ever.

• Like 1

We've been the sh*t of the league lately, and Southampton's been losing. I think Tim had all the right to play his tactics, and expect the opponent to counter them, not the other way around.

was a bad day at the office, every manager has them. We finished 6th and lost 7-1 not too long back

FWIW 3 goals in 2.5 minutes killed the game and dont think Sherwood could have done anything to really stop that, If was 3 goals over a longer period then you could point finger at him

We got torn apart for 90 minutes today. Yes the hat trick put the game beyond us. But it wasn't as if we were in the game for the rest of it.

We got absolute panned today, from start to finish.

i angrily turned it off after 4

Indeed 4-4-2 in the cup final please sitting deep counter with Gabby.

Today was a shocker with the gung-ho football and can only actually compare us to Arsenal who have been done over by big scorelines doing the same. You never see Chelsea, Real, Barca etc losing by silly scorelines it just doesn't happen. 

Spurs 5-Chelsea 3?

I can remember Real, Barca and Bayern getting hammered in Champions League semi finals pretty recently as well

This Game was kinda designed to go like this, so many factors, inc one eye on the final no one wants to get injured.

Under normal circumstances a high line would not be necessary defend deep and catch them on the break, grab a point or a smash and grab.....But we have been winning with high intensity a highline and  moving the ball quickly.

If we was going to control our own destiny a point was not much good, we needed a win to avoid the last game of the season.

I think we got caught in too many mind sets and got undone, by a team who have been criticised themselves for going off the boil....I have a feeling this game will be a blessing in disguise, because the manager will have seen what we have all seen in the past....When we do an off day, we go like a pack of cards.

...as an earlier poster posted, " good teams don't do that".....I might remind us we are down there for a reason.

This team, not a few players needs to understand the meaning of keeping control....They can win games and can, outscore teams, but we struggle when teams park the bus, close us down or want to get in to the physical side of the game... we go missing.

This not new.

IMO we have a way to go and I think we need to beef the side up a bit and still retain the guile.....tricky, I know....but thats the challenge.

Edited by TRO

Instructing the defence to drop a few yards deeper isn't damage limitation it's sensible. You can still attack and go for it whilst tightening up.

We should be able to play that high. At least I think so. But today we couldn't. Ask Vlaar why.

His brief was to save the side from relegation. When he came in, we were 19th in table and had scored 12 goals in 25 games. We were an absolute embarrassment, and certain to be relegated (even more certain when you consider the runs of form that eg. Leicester have gone on). Even as late as after the Swansea game, I still didn't believe he could manage it and he did, so absolutely credit to him. In the end, we've scored points in the league at a rate of 1.333333, which is good enough for in and around the top ten over the course of a season. On top of that, he's guided us to an FA Cup Final, brought through a promising youth prospect, regalvanised a wayward striker and found a midfield format that's mostly been very effective. He's done everything that was asked of him and more, so gets cut a huge amount of slack. 

Nevertheless, he did get it wrong today, and, worse than getting it wrong, he seems to have done nothing to change things. To not make any adjustments when you go in at halftime 5-1 down is bizarre, and being able to change the flow of the game from the touchline is the thing I'm concerned about. 

Overall, an excellent job, and I look forward to seeing what he can do. I have to say that all of that good work will be spoiled a bit though if Arsenal hammer us like today in the Final. 

• Like 1

Premiership survival and a cup final appearance

Anyone not have settled for that after the Hull game?

We're setting up to try to win every game-It won't work every time given the quality of players we have

Anyone prefer us to revert to the "don't lose at all costs" Lambert style?

• Like 2

Sherwood's main aim was to keep us and he has achieved it. The football over the last few weeks has been excellent. barring the abomination today! Hopefully he'l learn a lot from today and knows that he has some work to do in the summer

Now safety is guaranteed , lets win the cup! 

• Like 1

Â