The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

It's been very similar to the Arsenal game. The high line and losing the midfield battle has meant we get absolutely battered. That's tactical. The defence have been caught out, but it's ecause they've been exposed and playing on the absolute edge all game.

An incredibly bad performance from the players and the manager today. First ill start with the fact that Southampton have some good players and are better than us, they have won games by counter attacking this season with some great movement and passing. 

We played right into their hands - A high line and pressing gave them the space they needed to exploit, we wernt at it offensively either and they just compressed when we attacked and then sprung into the space we allowed them. This dosnt excuse the woeful defending, not getting goal side of the man and I think 3 of the goals in the first half were finished as a rebound when a Southampton player hadnt been tracked.

Even before they scored you could see what our tactics were allowing them to do and ultimately we should have changed before they scored. Tim cant be blamed for the mistakes but for me the mistakes were created out of our poor tactics. Our slow make shift back four against a rapid and powerful attack. 

Tim you now have to pick these players up, I have no doubt that you will put a rocket up them and they will get off lightly today if Spurs manage to do us a favour. 

I look at the goals and individual mistakes are worse than the high line. We've lost the midfield battle because all 3 have played very poorly more than the tactical approach.

It's not a huge shock that you place little blame at the manager's door ;)

Ironic really :)

• Like 4

Nothing has changed for me today. Tim has been a breath of fresh air and i'm behind him 100% but today he dropped a clanger.

Sums it up perfectly.

So far, it's a one off. If we pick ourselves up and win next week and at the very least play well in the final (obviously ideally win it!) then it remains an incredibly good start for Tim.

But that won't change the fact that today, first half especially, was as bad as anything I've seen from Villa. Ever.

not a smart decision with the high line today, especially as in okore you have a player who has no idea what they are doing positionally, and in vlaar someone who cannot organise a back 4.

players didnt help though with some shocking individual errors

When we lost 8-0 to Chelsea, it was a similar situation to this. We were riding high after some good performances (we'd just beat Liverpool at Anfield IIRC)

That game was down to tactical nonsense rather than individual performances (although i'm not excusing the performances) very similar to this.

However, I doubt anyone then was kind to Lambert as they are being to Sherwood now.

I like Sherwood. He's done a fantastic job so far. Doesn't mean he's immune to criticism.

Just an example of the hypocrisy practised by some :)

Lesson for Tim here. It's nice to be confident and take the game to opponents but you can do that without naïvely playing a high-line at their place. Got it badly wrong today, hopefully he'll learn from it.

• Like 2

harsh reality for tim here, his first terrible result, but he still has my backing.

now the challange begins how does he respond to this. does he do lambert and fall apart or bounce back like a winner should?

i suspect the latter

The tactics were the same as previous games  - the players have been playing out of their skins for the last 10 games, but today they looked tired and jaded. It was the players today, not the manager.

Vlaar and Okore were terrible, they got bullied and look like amateurs. The midfield were sloppy and looked slow. Benteke didn't get involved in the game as he has previously.

Going forward, we were just lumping it long to Benteke - none of the incisive passing from previous weeks. We slipped back into Lambert style, sideways passing, no movement.

Hopefully Hull lose today and then it doesn't matter. Tim can then give everyone a free run at Burnley with no pressure, and he could literally pick any combination of players - today's game means no-one has a guaranteed place in the team (other than Benteke).

Just saw Tim's interview on BT Sport - I think he handled it very well.

• Like 3

I look at the goals and individual mistakes are worse than the high line. We've lost the midfield battle because all 3 have played very poorly more than the tactical approach.

It's not a huge shock that you place little blame at the manager's door ;)

Ironic really :)

haha likes by the same people who liked 'I'd rather Gil than sherwood next season.' What a surprise.

We've been through this before.  I won't judge sherwood the same way in which i judged lambert because the situations are different.  If in 2 and a half years time, the team he builds puts in a performance like today then i'd judge him the same way.

But for me, he picked the right team, the high line was a mistake but looking at the goals, i can see where individual mistakes have cost us more than the way the team was set up.

• Like 1

Gets on my nerves how some fans absolutely cannot wait for any opportunity to come out with the tactics thing against the Manager.

He has a way he wants to play, and varies it as he sees fit. Do you really think he hasn't read the same tactics manuals as you and a few Spurs fans ?

Every Manager on the planet has days when stuff works and days when it doesn't..I could list examples from the whole season, right up to Guadiola the other night.

For me, anyone can criticise tactics of any game ( I think the players were the main problem today) but to make the jump from that to suggesting it is a character flaw is perverse.

• Like 4

The tactics were the same as previous games  

That's an issue if it's true (which I don't think it is) as any decent manager will adjust their tactics based on the opponent.

Every Manager on the planet has days when stuff works and days when it doesn't..I could list examples from the whole season, right up to Guadiola the other night.

People were totally right to pan Guardiola for the other night just the same as people are right to criticise sherwood for today.

Not really sure of your point.

Â