The Tim Sherwood Thread

OutByEaster?

Welcome Tim! Hopefully he's succesful keeping us up, and that should be very doable IMO. I would've preferred manager from spain/germany/france/holland but I can understand them wanting someone who knows premier league and english football when you replace previous one mid-season and need to stay up.

Oh get out of town a mole.

The win had everything to do with the half time talk.

The first half had Lambert written all over it. The 2nd half was far more direct, positive, hitting CB early and goal attempts. We took the game to them. Something we haven't done for a long time.

we should just hire a motivational speaker instead of a manager and full coaching team then.
Eh? Are you saying that talking isn't a part of a managers general remit? It's only one facet of the job, but it is one we have sorely lacked. Motivation.

Credit where it is due.

No, I'm saying that the half time talk was only a small part of the victory today and that we have a long way to go.

It made a difference, which is something we haven't had for a long time.

The first half had Lambert written all over it. The 2nd half was far more direct, positive, hitting CB early and goal attempts. We took the game to them. Something we haven't done for a long time.

we should just hire a motivational speaker instead of a manager and full coaching team then.
Eh? Are you saying that talking isn't a part of a managers general remit? It's only one facet of the job, but it is one we have sorely lacked. Motivation.

Credit where it is due.

No, I'm saying that the half time talk was only a small part of the victory today and that we have a long way to go.

So that was all that was missing then? It's just extremely simplistic to think that Sherwood going in and saying "express yourselves" has won the match, of course it was good for the players to hear from the new man but proclaiming this a victory for Sherwood is just ludicrous, he hasn't held one training session yet!

Who cares if the team talk worked or not. We won the game and played reasonably well in the second half. We'll see soon enough if Sherwood is having a sustained and consistent impact on the squad so for now why don't we just enjoy the fact that we did things in todays game that we haven't done for a long time.

I I don't care who said what at half time - it worked! I believe that Sherwood did say something and it made a difference.

Benteke is our best player and every Villa fan knows it. We just need to find a way to get the best out of him. He could have played Weimann in twice second half and didn't. He'll come good again, I'm sure of it. He's just low on confidence and that will be sorted out by Sherwood.

I wasn't overwhelmed by Sherwood's appointment but it was more through concern about his inexperience and arrogance. But, I've grown to like the idea of the players getting their arses kicked and having no more pussy-footing around. He's got my full support and I would love it if this team could give him a cup in his first full management position.

What if we'd have lost would people be blaming Sherwood for that? It's a stretch to give him credit for today, But I'm sure he'll do his best when he takes over properly.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

It's a win, we don't see many. It's technically Sherwood's win, in charge or not, he was at the match and gave a half time talk. It's a great start to his reign. I think he'll get the results we need, simply because he'll play it simple and to Benteke's strengths. For what its worth I think Lambert was about to do the same.

Credit where it is due.

So that was all that was missing then? It's just extremely simplistic to think that Sherwood going in and saying "express yourselves" has won the match, of course it was good for the players to hear from the new man but proclaiming this a victory for Sherwood is just ludicrous, he hasn't held one training session yet!

did you see the first half? we were really poor

Is a couple of passionate team talks going to save our season? No of course it isn't, but there is no denying it made the difference today. What ever was said and the change in tactics meant the second half was much better than the first, which frankly wouldn't have been hard but it was a huge change.

Can't remember any of your posts on Sherwood getting the job if you did, but your comments strike me as someone that doesn't want him here and won't change your mind till you're given no option.

A passionate half time team talk has changed many a game, so I can't believe your giving him no credit at all. The motivational approach can only get you so far and the hard work will need to be done on the training pitch and on match day if we're going to carry this big lift past a game or two.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1

I think people need to stop saying people are slating the manager because I don't think they are. Are they not allowed to have an opinion on the appointment? If that's the case then we should probably close this thread down until we've played a few games.

I think its obvious that in an ideal world we wouldn't have employed Sherwood but it seems he really was the only viable option with the turn around we had.

It leaves plenty of answers up in the air but I'm positive everyone will get behind him.

Exactly. Not being keen on the appointment doesn't mean hoping he'll fail.

I hope he becomes the greatest manager in our history. I say that about every manager and everybody who loves the club should not think otherwise.

To those that are keen, I respect your right to your opinion and perhaps you are completely correct.

I see a manager who can certainly be a good motivator, but is untried at building something.

This club is a big job - in more than one sense.

The half time team talk changed the game. Do you really think that the Marshalls would have got that reaction?

Its nothing to do with hiring a motivational speaker and that comment is as silly as your previous one.

Players always react to new managers and Sherwood got the team to play a little more positively.in the 2nd half. We had a go. Sometimes under Lambert, the plan seemed to be not to loose, rather than to go out for a win. I suspect this will change now.

Â