The Greatest Non-Villa Match You've Ever Seen

maqroll

I would say Crystal Palace 4-3 Liverpool 1990 FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Liverpool were the dominant team of the time and had beat Palace 9-0 at Anfield earlier that season. Watched it on the box followed by Man Utd 3-3 Oldham in the other Semi. Football was great in those days Villa coming runners up the same season!

• Like 3

Caernarfon Town 8:0 Barry Town

August 2003

Right at the start of the season the club went into receivership and everyone on the payroll walked or ran away.

The fans had to break in to the office to get access to paperwork to be able fulfil fixtures. We got on the phones and got busy recruiting volunteer players and manager and secretary, sorting out registrations, organising replacement kit as some had gone missing. We then had to get together £700 cash up front to organise a bus for the players to get them to the game. We paid for the bus, sorted them out kit, organised food. We then organised a fleet of cars for supporters to follow them up.

Lost 8:0, and sang for the full 90 minutes. I'm not sure the home team had ever given a team quite such a battering only to see the opposition fans and players hugging and clapping each other at the end.

We completed the fixture, then the next, then the next losing all the way and stayed in existence. 

• Like 4

England 5 - Germany 1 was pretty damn good. England 4 - Holland 1 at Euro 96 was great as well. From the point of view of not supporting either side, Liverpool 3 - AC Milan 3 in the Champions League Final was special.  

• Like 2

I was working in a chippy during the 5-1, really busy too, everyone just kind of stopped and was watching the game is disbelief, all 3 of Daves are spot on, great games

Newcastle beating utd 5-0, ronaldinho vs Real Madrid when he got clapped off

To be fair man city vs QPR should be up there, what happened was incredible, but somewhere between man city and Martin Tyler I'm not having it

I'm going to pick a bizarre one here, Arsenal 0-0 Real Madrid in 2006.

Everyone remembers the Henry goal from the first leg but that was imo the best nil nil I've ever seen. Henry, Bergkamp,Roberto Carlos,  fabregas, Ronaldo, Beckham, Raul, Zidane were all on the pitch that night and every single player on that pitch from both sides gave 100% to get their respective teams through which you can't often say.

I just thought it was a compelling watch and so it sticks in my mind. How it ended goalless I'll never know.

May 19, 2012. Scottish Cup Final. Hearts hammered Hibs 5-1. An absolutely magnificent day rubbing it into those sister shaggers from the wrong side of Edinburgh and a great swansong for the legend that was Rudi Skacel. The session before and after was one to remember as well...from what I remember.

In all honesty I think it might be the Germany 7 - 1 Brazil semi final of the world cup from the summer.   I don't think I've ever watched a game is as much disbelief as that.      

One I probably didn't appreciate at the time was the Liverpool 0-2 Arsenal game from 1989 where Arsenal won the title at Liverpool's expense with virtually the last kick of the season.   I was 10 back then and football was still a curiosity as it was hardly on TV unless it was the world cup or the FA cup final (MotD was on too late for me but I did watch Saint & Greavsie) so to have such a big game live on the box was a rare treat and for it to end in such a manner was amazing.  I think that game is one of the key factors in forcing Sky to get into the business of televising English football too. 

The other one I immediately think of is the first 4-3 game between Liverpool and Newcastle at Anfield.   It was a barnstormer, the second one a year later was weird because Newcastle were never really in it despite the game ending up with the same scoreline. 

• Like 1

It makes me feel dirty to say this, but 2005 AC Miland V Liverpool Champions League Final. A roller coaster obviously and a joy to watch. I hated Liverpool then as much as I do now but that night was marvelous.

Then I come to this little beauty from 2011, Man United 1-6 Man City. It was a game that got better and better as time wore on, just massively enjoyable.

The 99' Champions league final, I was 12 and my old man was a bit of a Man Utd supporter, and I've never seen him go ballistic as he did that night and I just got caught up in it too.  I also liked Yorke even though what happened, so I thought it was a great end to an important match in the great stadium.

When Milan played Portsmouth in the Europa League a few years ago (poor pompy sods) and Pompy were leading only for Ronaldinho to smack in a 35 yard free kick and golden oldie Inzaghi to do what he did best and bundle the ball in the net to win :)

Also, the 2007 CL Final where Milan exacted their revenge on Liverpool and I though Inzaghi was going to explode.

Edited by lapal_fan

Some cracking games on this thread England 5-1 (my mate just texted me **** me 5-1 at the time!) Germany 7-1 for the same reason as disbelief but the game I always think of is Liverpool 4-3 Newcastle amazing game

The Spurs 3 Man City 4 one was a standout one for me, Spurs 3 up at half time and I'm pretty sure City were down to 10 men as well, back when City were a likable team too and Spurs were still, well Spurs!

That was an FA Cup game wasn't it? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was a cracker!

I was working in a chippy during the 5-1, really busy too, everyone just kind of stopped and was watching the game is disbelief, all 3 of Daves are spot on, great games

I was at a wedding that day, and the bride and groom were just resided to the fact everyone would want to watch the match, so they had a big screen in the middle of the reception, and everyone watched it. Suffice to say, it was a Hell of a wedding!

Yeovil Town Vs Stevenage in the 2002 FA trophy final at Villa Park.

My first time at Villa park. I live in Yeovil, so I made the trip to watch my local team, play in my dream stadium.

Yeovil won 2-0 and I got to spend 90 minutes "at home".

1998 play off final.  Charlton 4-4 Sunderland (7-6 pens), an absolute classic and there is never more at stake than there is in a play off final.

Wasn't there a run of years where the playoff final was guaranteed to be a classic?  I remember Bolton having a 4-3 in the mid to late 1990s too. 

The Spurs 3 Man City 4 one was a standout one for me, Spurs 3 up at half time and I'm pretty sure City were down to 10 men as well, back when City were a likable team too and Spurs were still, well Spurs!

That one was great.  I vividly remember it because we were watching it in a half empty pub with Cockney Kev the Spurs fan (actually he was from North London but we didn't let that ruin a perfectly good nickname) and we had such a laugh at his expense at full time.  Joey Barton was indeed sent off in the first half when Spurs were 3-0 up.  City won it in the 90th minute.  

Just checked the date: FA Cup 4th round 2004 so it was 11 years ago (!)  :o

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

Â