The Greatest Non-Villa Match You've Ever Seen

maqroll

there's 2 that stand out for me.france-portugal in the euro's in 1984.i think it was 3-2 france in extra time.platini scored a late winner if i remember correctly.

brazil-italy in 82 world cup.italy somehow beat one of the best teams i've seen 3-2,paolo rossi hat trick.

• Like 1

there's 2 that stand out for me.france-portugal in the euro's in 1984.i think it was 3-2 france in extra time.platini scored a late winner if i remember correctly.

brazil-italy in 82 world cup.italy somehow beat one of the best teams i've seen 3-2,paolo rossi hat trick.

Thinking back they were my two fav games

I love football and watch a lot but I was struggling to think of games that I remember being as stand out where both teams were superb. After some thought 3 stand out. 

Ronaldos hat trick against Man United in 2003 when he got a standing ovation at Old Trafford - First time I remember watching a World Class performance, big game, big spectacle, all the extra stuff with Beckham. 

Watford v Leicester Playoff Final 2013 Both teams gave it all, great ending.

Croatia v England 2004 6 goals and a performance from England and Rooney that made me believe.

I would say Crystal Palace 4-3 Liverpool 1990 FA Cup Semi Final at Villa Park. Liverpool were the dominant team of the time and had beat Palace 9-0 at Anfield earlier that season. Watched it on the box followed by Man Utd 3-3 Oldham in the other Semi. Football was great in those days Villa coming runners up the same season!

I remember that day! It was a Sunday and very sunny in Brum! Two outstanding games of football. Back when FA Cup semi finals were played at club grounds. This always made getting to the final at Wembley more special

The greatest ever Premier League game . You will never convince me football today in the Premier League is as entertaining as it was in that era in the mid 90's. That for me was he peak of football in this country and I guess my interest in the game. Money hadn't quite ruined stuff then. Even the atmosphere at grounds seemed better. 

Remarkably the 4 English strikers on show in the game (Fowler, Collymore, Ferdinand and Beardsley) weren't good enough to get into the starting line up for England a few months later at Euro 96. That was of course Shearer and Sheringham, a wonderful pairing. At the same time in England, you had Andy Cole, Ian Wright and Chris Sutton. What striking talent we had! 

Another game I am going to pick involves Villa. Arguably not the best Villa game I saw (that was the games against Inter Milan twice and Tranmere) but displays a great character and a near perfect performance from Dwight Yorke, who scored 3, had a goal disallowed and hit the post and we still lost! We did have 10 men though. It was a fantastic display against an excellent team and we did deserve something from it. Yorke is the best striker I have ever seen down the club. He matured from a tricky winger, to a stand in striker to finally being trusted to lead the line under Brian Little and he flourished. Those 3 years when he was the senior striker, he was exceptional. No one has been close since. Benteke has the potential but is some way off Yorke at the minute in my opinion

Ahhh... great days!

• Like 2

Having studied in Wales, have a couple of welsh related football epics.

One was Swansea beating Hull 4-2 to stay in the Football League. Had they lost and got relegated, the club would have been finished. I seriously doubt the Liberty would have been built nor would the be playing in the Premier League.  Nor would they have more recently won a major trophy than Villa. To see what football means to a local community for one match was something really special.

The second was Wales beating Italy 2-1 at a packed Millennium stadium. To me it shows how a team with less ability, but being totally united on a common purpose, can overcome a technically better side. John Hartson was immense, and I have to whisper it, so was Savage.  For once football was the main sports talking point ahead of the egg chasing. Sadly they blew there chance to qualify by losing to Russia.

Angola 4-4 Mali in the first game of AFCON 2010. Mali were 4-0 down with something like 15 minutes left. Completely nuts.

I never saw the game but I always remember this story from it: 

In the African Cup of Nations early last year, Mali found themselves 4-0 down to Angola with just 11 minutes remaining. Understandably, it might cross your mind to put a bet on the inevitable in order to make a cheeky few pounds. However, one young man was so convinced; he placed his entire student loan on the outcome, £4,400 to be precise.

The bizarre thing about the bet is that the odds at that point were so long that the student would only stand to make £44, but in truth, he would eventually end up with nothing. Mali unbelievably fought back and eventually drew the game, 4-4. Fairly earth shattering stuff for the student, but on the flip side, another punter backed Mali for the draw and walked away with £5,000. Madness.

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/Home/Features/Featured-Articles/The-top-five-most-unbelievable-football-bets.htm

This probably goes down under moment rather game, but Jimmy Glass' winner for Carlisle in the 95th minute to keep them in the football league was great

Edited by Milfner

Holland 2 - 3 Czech Republic from Euro 2004.

Absolutely amazing match. Great goals, great near misses, superb saves.

That was the beautiful game

This is the correct answer.

Some kind individual has put the match online

1st Half (match starts 10:40)

2nd Half

How I wish we played like either of those teams...

• Like 1

Â