Carles Gil

bose

To be fair we got him cheaply as his contract expired at the end of the season. He has a four year deal here so probably is worth 10-12 million now.

His contract with Valencia didn't expire till summer 2016. 

I have commented on this thread before as I am an expat Elche season ticket so know this player very will indeed, and don't misunderstand what I might say below because I like him, he has excellent potential. But....

He was surplus to requirements at Valencia, they sold him so they could strengthen their squad in other areas plus they have a similar player to him on loan at Cordoba who, IMV and probably theirs, is better.

No way on earth is Carles currently worth more than Villa paid for him. In fact, at this moment he's not worth even that because (again IMHO) you overpaid based on the risk. He's a good, skilfull, classy looking player but even at crisis-hit Elche you won't find many fans who were desperate to keep him. In fact the club's forum has made comparisons all season with his replacement and you would be hard- pressed to find a fan who didn't think his replacement (called Victor Rodriguez) has been better for us.

This is not to say he won't make it and be worth a king's ransom in two years, but honestly, as much as  I joined this forum to keep tabs on Villa's growing list of our former players (do you need a keeper? You can get Caballero from Man City), you're all getting carried away.

Good points made, I don't think many are getting carried away, but he was the type of player we have needed for a while, he was instantly the main man and sometimes players need that a side to grow. Still a long way to go but his debut was certainly promising. As for a keeper, no thanks he was crap when Villa played Malaga in a friendly, he was all over the shop.

To be fair we got him cheaply as his contract expired at the end of the season. He has a four year deal here so probably is worth 10-12 million now.

I have commented on this thread before as I am an expat Elche season ticket so know this player very will indeed, and don't misunderstand what I might say below because I like him, he has excellent potential. But....

He was surplus to requirements at Valencia, they sold him so they could strengthen their squad in other areas plus they have a similar player to him on loan at Cordoba who, IMV and probably theirs, is better.

No way on earth is Carles currently worth more than Villa paid for him. In fact, at this moment he's not worth even that because (again IMHO) you overpaid based on the risk. He's a good, skilfull, classy looking player but even at crisis-hit Elche you won't find many fans who were desperate to keep him. In fact the club's forum has made comparisons all season with his replacement and you would be hard- pressed to find a fan who didn't think his replacement (called Victor Rodriguez) has been better for us.

This is not to say he won't make it and be worth a king's ransom in two years, but honestly, as much as  I joined this forum to keep tabs on Villa's growing list of our former players (do you need a keeper? You can get Caballero from Man City), you're all getting carried away.

Nice to have a view from someone who knows :).  You say he's a good, skilful, classy looking player but Elche fans weren't desperate to keep him... why was this?  What didn't work out for him?

As I said elsewhere, Gil's value to us will be far greater than his ability suggests, merely because he plays a position that nobody else in our team does.

It would be like Villa having no goalkeeper, but then signing a goalkeeper form League 2 to play in goal. He'd be crap (relatively speaking) but his value to the team would be huge because we'd have been playing outfield players in that position.

(an extreme example, but you get my point)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

There's a danger that mentioning a player's weaknesses makes it look like I'm denigrating him, when in reality I think he's a good player, but pinning your hopes on a slight young lad from another country is setting too many people up for a fall. I'm trying to add a cautionary note.

I don't think anyone would suggest Carles Gil was a failure at Elche, that is definitely not the case, but neither can I remember a game when he was a major influential figure. Partly that was to do with Elche's tactics last season and the position he played - mostly he would have been out on right in a standard 4-2-3-1, the main objective last season being not to concede goals as we had dearth of attacking players. That wouldn't be his natural position, which would be a central attacking midfielder ("media punta" in Spanish). He played there more when we were in the 2nd Division and looked the part, but on the few occasions he had the opportunity last year it wasn't to any great effect.

In the games I've seen him in for Valencia this season he seemed again to be used from wide positions - as is common for young players, and especially left-footed ones.

What would worry me about him going to England is that he always seemed a little fragile, I seem to remember him often limping off during matches and then not re-appearing for a couple of games. I don't think he has any obvious weakness in his game, he could have scored more goals and got into goalscoring positions more often, but those he did score were good finishes.

Elche weren't able to keep the players they actually needed this season (one of which would have been Sanchez), but to be fair he might have been better off in the current side which is better going forward but a pushover defensively. On balance I might have done him a disservice because although his direct replacement has been better than him, he would probably still be playing most weeks if he was still around.

To be honest it doesn't matter what he did in Spain. Like you said he was played in a different system /position and the coaches there didn't have the belief in him as Lambert does/will.

The premier league I believe is more suited to him and despite it being a 30 minute cameo. You could see the lift he gave the fans and players. This itself could be massive. Our attack will revolve around him and make him a key figure where I assume he wasn't at Valencia considering he barely started games.

Early days but I'm strying positive

Edited by KSV

To be honest it doesn't matter what he did in Spain. Like you said he was played in a different system /position and the coaches there didn't have the belief in him as Lambert does/will.

He was a big favourite of the Elche Head Coach, there was no lack of belief in his ability from him.

Thanks GC, guess we will soon find out for ourselves. I'm a little concerned about the fragile bit as he will get plenty of attention from teams if they believe he can be bullied out of the games.

What I saw against Liverpool was encouraging but I'm not getting carried away as history shows most players take time to settle in and getting used to the pace of the Premier League.

• Like 1

He was a big favourite of the Elche Head Coach, there was no lack of belief in his ability from him.

I was mainly talking about Valencia as he had a successful spell at Elche.

Anyway... we can debate till the cows come home.. lets just wait and see how it pans out.

Thanks for that, GC, good to get an informed opinion.

Does no harm to dampen down expectations a little. We are understandably just so desperate for positivity at the moment.

And thanks for Sanchez, by the way, he is possibly our best player at the moment !

There's a danger that mentioning a player's weaknesses makes it look like I'm denigrating him, when in reality I think he's a good player, but pinning your hopes on a slight young lad from another country is setting too many people up for a fall. I'm trying to add a cautionary note.

I don't think anyone would suggest Carles Gil was a failure at Elche, that is definitely not the case, but neither can I remember a game when he was a major influential figure. Partly that was to do with Elche's tactics last season and the position he played - mostly he would have been out on right in a standard 4-2-3-1, the main objective last season being not to concede goals as we had dearth of attacking players. That wouldn't be his natural position, which would be a central attacking midfielder ("media punta" in Spanish). He played there more when we were in the 2nd Division and looked the part, but on the few occasions he had the opportunity last year it wasn't to any great effect.

In the games I've seen him in for Valencia this season he seemed again to be used from wide positions - as is common for young players, and especially left-footed ones.

What would worry me about him going to England is that he always seemed a little fragile, I seem to remember him often limping off during matches and then not re-appearing for a couple of games. I don't think he has any obvious weakness in his game, he could have scored more goals and got into goalscoring positions more often, but those he did score were good finishes.

Elche weren't able to keep the players they actually needed this season (one of which would have been Sanchez), but to be fair he might have been better off in the current side which is better going forward but a pushover defensively. On balance I might have done him a disservice because although his direct replacement has been better than him, he would probably still be playing most weeks if he was still around.

Uh-oh. I know another manager who likes that style of play. Don't like the sound of that.

for some reason unless you are top 6 - decent creative midfielders are incredibly rare.

you usually have to have a foreign manager to bring in those kind of players

No.  You usually have to spend more than £3m though.

Â