Carles Gil

bose

Gil showed some promising signs yesterday - not just, as others have pointed out, his rapport with Sanchez, but also the way that he and Weimann combined. We know that Weimann can run, but recently it's been restricted to chasing lost balls and closing down opposition defenders, so it'll be interesting to see what he can create now that he's got someone with the ability to play a more purposeful through-ball.

Also great to see Gil make direct runs at the opposition in dangerous areas, something we've lacked for a long time.

Edit - Also also, it was amazing the way the demeanour of the whole side changed the moment he came on. Suddenly Benteke and Gabby started trying. Gave the whole team a lift.

Very much this. Surely Lambert must start with these guys next time out.

Carles Gill looks a very talented player and kudos to Lambert for signing him.

Maybe my senses have been numbed by the football on offer of late but Gil has to play every game and Villa need to let him play with freedom and try to build the side around him.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

Dont get excited guys, one week of training with us and we'll soon suck the talent from him the same way we did to Bertrand. Bertrand is playing in a team in the top 3 and yet he looked like a championship player for us after a decent start. While Lamberts here it really doesn't matter who we sign, it's the tactics and management that is all wrong, and we'll ruin Gil the same way

Oh and those Saying him and Sanchez link up well, that won't please Lambo who wants everything to go through his boy Westy so that will be cut out soon too

Edited by daz316

Gil, Sanchez - have Elche got any more like them?

A couple maybe! 

Background - I am an expat Elche season ticket holder and have joined this site as my adopted, appalingly run club (you've got problems?) now appear to be some sort of feeder side to your own.

I am always astonished that for the millions that are allegedly spent on scouting networks there isn't an English club that could hoover up talent in Spain.  OK, the football there is a little different as most people know, more tactical, but the standards are largely the same. Sanchez and Gil were'nt even our best players last season and we are a team that only avoided relegation in the penultimate week of the season.

Which is not to say that Carlos Sanchez has not been missed as neither he, nor a couple of other key midfielders have been replaced to the detriment of Elche's goals against column. However Carles has not been missed as his replacement is actually a more effective (though more experienced) player. But you have to know where to look.

Carles Gil. as you have already seen now, is a stylish player who could well develop into a top-class one, but that's unknown, you have bought potential. Although he was considered the jewel of Valencia's youth system I was surprised by the signing as Valencia have a very similar player in style and age who they sent out on loan this season to Cordoba called Fede Cartabia. IMV he is currently better than Carles and that's quite evident as he is far and away Cordoba's best player, which for all his qualities you could not say about Carles Gil at Elche.  All signings are gambles, no matter who's involved, but I would have been less surprised if you'd gone for him instead.

There's dozens of these players at lesser clubs in Spain who could be considered by PL clubs. It's no good looking at regulars at the likes of Sevilla or Villarreal. Sevilla's model for many years now has been to buy low and sell high and they are very effective at that. Villarreal have excellent players but they are under no pressure to sell as unlike any other senior club in Spain they have a sugar-daddy owner. In the lower reaches, and even in the second division, any decent scout would surely be able to identify a suitable player in any area of the field.

Anyway, good luck to Carles in England, and may he develop into the player he ought to be.

Never thought I'd see an Elche fan on our forum, welcome!  :)  And yes you are right, there are plenty more where he came from. I think may of the English teams scouting networks are run by an old mans club who are quite ignorant towards Spanish football. 

Sevilla sell their best players every season but still mix with the big boys, win cups etc.

Edited by supernova26

There was one moment when he was running at goal and did a trick to go past a player. Was so nice to see, that little bit of flair with intent has been missing for so long. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

He looked great yesterday, I said I wasn't expecting him to be amazing, and that a positive debut would be good. He's surpassed my expectations. First signs seem positive, so here's hoping he can build even further from here. It must have been frustrating for him yesterday with the rest ofthe midfield (bar Sanchez who played well again) just like statues around him. Just imagine when he gets 90mins.

Played loads of passes into the strikers' feet.

They didn't lead directly to any chances but they were passes that the rest of our midfield almost never make.

I was hopeful before yesterday. Now I'm expectant.

The perfect number 10.

Don't ask him to defend, don't make him run channels, just get in the hole and express yourself.

Yesterday we put him on and he played to his strengths.

------Sanchez-----------Delph-----------

--------------------Gil------------------------

For me that's a top 10 central midfield.

Although I think Westwood has improved, he is to weak defensively for the role he plays.

• Like 1

The perfect number 10.

Don't ask him to defend, don't make him run channels, just get in the hole and express yourself.

Although I think Westwood has improved, he is to weak defensively for the role he plays.

I've been pitching a midfield like that for weeks.

Sanchez is our DM, we needed an attacking mid which is now Gil, assuming he carries on like this, and then we need ONE of Westwood, delph or cleverley to do the water carrying.

• Like 1

Only if the players on either side are right. With Gabby and Andi, it's not

The perfect number 10.

I don't think having to run the channels would necessarily be a bad thing for him either though, as he has played out wide a lot, can actually beat a player and has a good amount of pace.   

Edited by JoeParker91
  • Like 1

He played some excellent balls into dangerous areas. Unfortunately results were similar in that weimman lost it or Hutton put in a shit cross.

He can have an impact but without others showing better quality it could be limited.

I think comments comparing him to Dennis Mortimer and saying he's the perfect number 10 are a bit wide of the mark

Fair play they are your opinions but he's played 30 mins for us and he's just joined the premier league

I'll reserve judgement till i see him get a run of games under his belt but the signs are positive that's for sure

UAwiK1H.gif

A bit more of this please, Carles

Delph is the only player we have who can do that. Really good to have someone else. Look at the space it creates when someone beats a man.

despite disagreements about our hierarchy I totally agree on this point, and I feel let down by some of our players, such as Gabby, who used to do it but don't any more. It's vital for giving defences problems and opening up space in attack as defenders have to leave their man. This guy should be important for us if he carries on.

Â