New manager

reykjavik

This 'Managing Villa is a bad job, nobody would want it' is media fed bollox, look at the facts

Lambert was the Premier Leagues second longest serving manager with the poorest record of them all. Villa is an excellent opportunity for a good manager, they will be given time by the owner and the fans, unlike 90% of other premier league teams, money may be tight but the squad we have is strong and has been for years.

If a manager isn't good enough to get the most from the opportunity they have been given, to manage Villa, then they have destroyed their own career's. 

Agree to an extent - but you can't argue with the fact that not many managers leave Villa to go on to bigger and better things (maybe only GT leaving for England), and not many actually go on to achieve anything of any significance.

Villa is the door to career suicide....its not appealing to successful established managers, its only appealing to those who are stepping up from lower leagues, or to those who have nothing to lose.

It seems like people don't like Sherwood as a personality but are ignoring his ability as a manager, or neither.

My opinion is he comes across as a bell end but he did a decent job at Spurs and had a impressive win rate, but wasn't Hollywood enough for them.

• Like 1

This 'Managing Villa is a bad job, nobody would want it' is media fed bollox, look at the facts

Lambert was the Premier Leagues second longest serving manager with the poorest record of them all. Villa is an excellent opportunity for a good manager, they will be given time by the owner and the fans, unlike 90% of other premier league teams, money may be tight but the squad we have is strong and has been for years.

If a manager isn't good enough to get the most from the opportunity they have been given, to manage Villa, then they have destroyed their own career's. 

Agree to an extent - but you can't argue with the fact that not many managers leave Villa to go on to bigger and better things (maybe only GT leaving for England), and not many actually go on to achieve anything of any significance.

Villa is the door to career suicide....its not appealing to successful established managers, its only appealing to those who are stepping up from lower leagues, or to those who have nothing to lose.

The Doc managed Scotland and Man U after us so he was an exception, Graham Turner had some success at other clubs, but generally its true. I think most people find it a very tough job mentally and are normally burnt out afterwards. This happened to Little and Gregory.

Very interested in the historical perspective ...

For those of you who have been on VillaTalk a long time, is this thread's apparent lack of unanimity -- I mean, it's all over the place in terms of names -- typical with a manager sacking? Was there more unanimity when Lambert was hired? MON? Macleish? Are we being especially far-ranging in tossing names around this time?

This the start of the thread for when Houllier left, I think there are another three parts to it. And there's probably the more recent Lambert thread somewhere on here. Interesting to see the names that were in favour back then but not so much these days

• Like 1

For those of you who have been on VillaTalk a long time, is this thread's apparent lack of unanimity -- I mean, it's all over the place in terms of names -- typical with a manager sacking? Was there more unanimity when Lambert was hired? MON? Macleish? Are we being especially far-ranging in tossing names around this time?

when McLeish left it was very much certain to be Lambert. but HOullier and McLeish appointments we didnt really seem to have much of a clue and just said names from Solskjaer to Ancelotti

Solskjaer was the same summer as the Lambert appointment - VT caused his odds to crash after Trees told us that Randy flew to Norway.

We also watched an internet stream of a Norwegian league match together.  :clap:

• Like 4

This the start of the thread for when Houllier left, I think there are another three parts to it. And there's probably the more recent Lambert thread somewhere on here. Interesting to see the names that were in favour back then but not so much these days

Looking back at this, I wish we had gone for Mark Hughes rather than Lambert....I'm sure he would have come to us then....

• Like 1

It's funny actually how much of an affect we've probably had on the betting market. I know quite a few people made money off of the Houllier appointment, while Betfair probably made money off of us because loads of people started laying McLeish after MM's infamous "McLeish won't be appointed" comment and then we almost won a ton of money from OGS.

On page 111 of that link I just posted there's a post expressing concerns at the links with Ancelotti because of him not having a very good reputation with bringing through the youth. Then we went and got Mcleish lol.

Looking back at this, I wish we had gone for Mark Hughes rather than Lambert....I'm sure he would have come to us then....

Didn't we back off because of the way he left Fulham?

Didn't we back off because of the way he left Fulham?

Yes, for McLeish who did the same thing... :wacko:

• Like 1

Sorry but what's wrong with Sherwood? He got the best out of Adebayor and I think he would do the same with Benteke. At the worst he would motivate the players and keep us up.  What we don't need right now is a good coach. 

Adebayor and Benteke seem SO different to me as players and as personalities. I don't see much in common between them at all. Benteke seems truly to be suffering a crisis of confidence. He used to be so precise and graceful. To me, Adebayor is less cerebral, less sensitive.

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

The Doc managed Scotland and Man U after us so he was an exception, Graham Turner had some success at other clubs, but generally its true. I think most people find it a very tough job mentally and are normally burnt out afterwards. This happened to Little and Gregory.

How many managers of similar teams go on to better things, David Moyes Everton to Manure? Can't think of many more. Fact is, Lerner doesn't sack managers without a very good reason, he gives them the best chance to succeed in the League, to date, but they still have to perform, if they don't then they have to go.

On page 111 of that link I just posted there's a post expressing concerns at the links with Ancelotti because of him not having a very good reputation with bringing through the youth. Then we went and got Mcleish lol.

Can you please advise whether you have, in fact, just read 111 pages of that thread today? Curious and concerned minds want to know!

Concerned.gif