New manager

reykjavik

And if he'd gone there and won it with one of the big 3 then I'd agree with you, but he didn't. You don't rate him and that's fine, but he's not a flavour of the month to those who do rate him. That's all.

No but he is inconsistant. He does well at one club and poorly at the next.

Good spells: Boro, Twente (Mark I), Derby

Bad spells: England, Wolfsburg, Twente (Mark II), Forest.

It is clearly working at Derby, he should stay there. History suggests no basis to indicate that he'll carry that into his next club.

Right men, he has ruled himself out.  Apparently there is still bad blood between him and us over Lerner’s U-turn and subsequent hiring of AMcL.

Also Paul Clement has ruled himself out of a move anywhere before the end of this season.

I still can't believe Lerner apparently took notice of the fans when it came to McLaren yet he went for McLeish instead. I'd like to think there was more to it than that but who knows. Lets hope Fox does have full control over the choice of manager.

think he did to give 2 fingers to the fans to say who is in charge. funny thing was he probably would have got a good one in McLaren

I'll say one thing about Sherwood. You've got to admire his bottle. He's like the Niklas Bendtner of football management. He must have a neck like a jockey's b*llocks asking for a wage like that :lol:

• Like 4

I posted this in the Lambert thread but.....Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even the England national team. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

If not Sherwood, then an experienced manager (i.e. not someone in their first job) who has some kind of affiliation with the club and wants to have a shot at it. The only names that spring to mind are Southgate and Grayson. I would probably take Grayson....I've always liked his teams and think he is our "type" of manager....

No, you really couldn't, for many different reasons

Would you say that either have been a success since they left here?

MON certainly and arguably McLeish both had decent reputations before they came here, and both left under a cloud where the media portrayed them as victims (MON because of transfer budget limitations and McLeish because of the fans). Regardless of that though, coming to Villa has done nothing for their careers since.

I think Mourinho would be wasted as a DOF needs to be in the dressing room with players. Would give everyone a massive lift but like Simeone and Guardiola it's unlikey, even more unlikey in fact.

Would you take Ferguson?

His name alone would give the players and fans a lift before he's even set foot in the door. But he's unlikey to come out of retirment to Manage us. Would be interesting.

I think Mourinho would be wasted as a DOF needs to be in the dressing room with players. Would give everyone a massive lift but like Simeone and Guardiola it's unlikey, even more unlikey in fact.

I'm not sure I would take Branson without Mourinho though, they have a special relationship.

Very interested in the historical perspective ...

For those of you who have been on VillaTalk a long time, is this thread's apparent lack of unanimity -- I mean, it's all over the place in terms of names -- typical with a manager sacking? Was there more unanimity when Lambert was hired? MON? Macleish? Are we being especially far-ranging in tossing names around this time?

Edited by Shifted To Neutral

Well if Simeone's on the shortlist, why wouldn't Guardiola be?

We could get Guardiola with Simeone as assistant, then bring in someone like Mourinho to look after the u21s. That would work

Statistically, Hoddle is the most successful ENGLAND manager since Sir Alf Ramsey

Ramsey has gone to QPR

Well played.

I suppose then the only missing pieces would be getting Cruyff as DOF and Pele to look after the Academy?

• Like 1

I posted this in the Lambert thread but.....Aston Villa is fast becoming a graveyard for (young) promising managers - Little, Gregory, O'Leary, Lambert (you could even say MON and McLeish) - none of these have gone on to do anything much. We are no longer a stepping stone club for a manager (e.g. Pochetinno used Southampton as a stepping stone to a bigger club), instead we are a club that most managers with a decent reputation will want to avoid as it will probably destroy them. I'd love to have a manager who does so well with us that they then go on to be linked with jobs at "bigger" clubs or even the England national team. It would at least be a sign that we must be doing well. For this reason, someone like Sherwood, who has nothing to lose, is probably the best we can do.

If not Sherwood, then an experienced manager (i.e. not someone in their first job) who has some kind of affiliation with the club and wants to have a shot at it. The only names that spring to mind are Southgate and Grayson. I would probably take Grayson....I've always liked his teams and think he is our "type" of manager....

MON certainly and arguably McLeish both had decent reputations before they came here, and both left under a cloud where the media portrayed them as victims (MON because of transfer budget limitations and McLeish because of the fans). Regardless of that though, coming to Villa has done nothing for their careers since.

I wasn't disputing that - I was disputing their "young promising manager" status. Neither were particularly young when they took over and McLeish was anything but promising. He'd just been relegated for the second time in 4 seasons FFS.

For those of you who have been on VillaTalk a long time, is this thread's apparent lack of unanimity -- I mean, it's all over the place in terms of names -- typical with a manager sacking? Was there more unanimity when Lambert was hired? MON? Macleish? Are we being especially far-ranging in tossing names around this time?

I wasn't here when O'Neill was appointed but there were a lot of names being thrown around in the managerial searches since.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

This 'Managing Villa is a bad job, nobody would want it' is media fed bollox, look at the facts

Lambert was the Premier Leagues second longest serving manager with the poorest record of them all. Villa is an excellent opportunity for a good manager, they will be given time by the owner and the fans, unlike 90% of other premier league teams, money may be tight but the squad we have is strong and has been for years.

If a manager isn't good enough to get the most from the opportunity they have been given, to manage Villa, then they have destroyed their own career's. 

• Like 2

Would you take Ferguson?

His name alone would give the players and fans a lift before he's even set foot in the door. But he's unlikey to come out of retirment to Manage us. Would be interesting.

Ron Saunders and Ron Atkinson aren't much older than Fergy. 

when McLeish left it was very much certain to be Lambert. but HOullier and McLeish appointments we didnt really seem to have much of a clue and just said names from Solskjaer to Ancelotti

• Like 1

Pretty typical, if a little extreme this time. But there have been no solid links as yet and nobody is really sure what direction the club is heading in right now side from there being a clear push towards "pretty" football. Which will hopefully rule Sherwood out even more so.

• Like 1

I wasn't disputing that - I was disputing their "young promising manager" status. Neither were particularly young when they took over and McLeish was anything but promising. He'd just been relegated for the second time in 4 seasons FFS.

HA - OK, can't argue with that! 

Was there more unanimity when Lambert was hired? MON? Macleish? Are we being especially far-ranging in tossing names around this time?

There was certainly more unanimity at the time of hiring Lambert. While you couldn't say that literally everyone wanted him, there was certainly a majority that did, and when his Norwich side beat Villa on the last day of the previous season at Carrow Road, our fans famously chanted "Paul Lambert's Claret & Blue army" at him in the Norwich dugout which must have been quite surreal and embarrassing for him at the time. This time around though, the relatively unceremonious and surprising nature of it means the fans haven't had the opportunity to discuss at length and pick a name to stand behind.
  • Like 1

Sorry but what's wrong with Sherwood? He got the best out of Adebayor and I think he would do the same with Benteke. At the worst he would motivate the players and keep us up.  What we don't need right now is a good coach. 

Edited by PaulC

when McLeish left it was very much certain to be Lambert. but HOullier and McLeish appointments we didnt really seem to have much of a clue and just said names from Solskjaer to Ancelotti

Solskjaer was the same summer as the Lambert appointment - VT caused his odds to crash after Trees told us that Randy flew to Norway.

Sorry but what's wrong with Sherwood? He got the best out of Adebayor and I think he would do the same with Benteke. At the worst he would motivate the players and keep us up. What we don't need right now is a good coach.

This has been done to death but it's almost indisputable fact that he's a compete vascular shunt.

• Like 1