The ISIS threat to Europe

Ads

Just now, PieFacE said:

Don't the Turks use Greece airspace all the time? Sure I read that somewhere, seems a little OTT of Turkey to shoot down the Russian plane/jet...

That's absolutely true, they always abuse Greek airspace. 

They've really badly **** up here and I can't wait to see Russia's response. 

• Like 1

Turkish media having a field day with this...yet nothing (unless someone can show me) nothing in their media about HDP leader Demirtas and his attempted assasination. The whole country is wobbling like a house of cards, made out of crepe paper. 

Erdogan will sit silently, whilst the white Turk media froth up a storm...then he'll accuse them all of treason. He'll then promptly walk in and take them all over.

As well as shooting down the plane, there are reports that Turkmen militants shot the crew as they were parachuting down, and have the bodies. That's a **** war crime. Time to wipe those villages off the map.

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Aren't Turkey a NATO country? What would happen with NATO if Russia attacked Turkey?

Not much. I have a feeling they'd be left to get on with it. 

NATO won't square off openly against the Russians over something so trivial as Turkey

EDIT - Thanks Hitz. Brain fart. 

Edited by Eames

12 minutes ago, Eames said:

Not much. I have a feeling they'd be left to get on with it. NATO won't square off openly against the Russians over something so trivial as Turkey

NATO countries are legally bound to go to the aid of other NATO members if they are attacked.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

NATO countries are legally bound to go to the aid of other NATO members if they are attacked.

I'd say shooting down a Russian plane could be seen as an act of aggression on Turkey's side. 

I have no idea if the NATO charter applies to wars of aggression as well as in the event of attack. 

27 minutes ago, Eames said:

I'd say shooting down a Russian plane could be seen as an act of aggression on Turkey's side. 

I have no idea if the NATO charter applies to wars of aggression as well as in the event of attack. 

I agree. The plane was inside Turkish airspace. Russia had previously been told to stop flying in Turkey's airspace (their ambassador was summoned to tell him exactly that). The plane was warned multiple times to get out of Turkish airspace. Then it was shot down. That's not me taking sides, just saying what appears to be now established fact.

Nevertheless, Turkey is being used for the smuggling of Daesh oil. Turkey supports islamic terrorists. It's not a good mix.

Russia I think knows their plane was where it should not have been and they've not called it an act of aggression by Turkey, which is a good sign.

I suspect there will be much sounding off all round, and that the Russians will stop flying into Turkish airspace. I also suspect that NATO countries will underline Turkey's right to protect its airspace while having a word about other of their actions.

My comment on the charter was in relation to people saying Russia would now open a can of whoop ass on 'em - they won't because the charter means that if they did we'd have full on war, and neither side wants that. It wasn't to do with the shot down plane.

• Like 1

Â