What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 02/03/2024 at 21:18, Marka Ragnos said:

I want my hipster card punched today, please. Now that I know

You have a huge back catalogue to catch up with, we'll see you in a few weeks. They are very British in their references (some might say vey Wirral / Merseyside too). In fact if I ever have to do one of these British Values tests like my missus is having to for work, I'm just going to quote HMHB lyrics at them. Golden rule: There is a HMHB song for every occasion

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I'd be surprised if this nifty little regional band from Tennessee -- signed to Sire, at one time -- ever made an impression in England. Very early-90s American pop on the edge of tweeness. The fashion hasn't aged too well, but the songwriting was excellent. I used to be spam this tune in postgraduate school days. They were really a bit darker than this video suggests.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I'd be surprised if this nifty little regional band from Tennessee -- signed to Sire, at one time -- ever made an impression in England. Very early-90s American pop with on the edge of tweeness. The fashion hasn't aged too well, but the songwriting was excellent. I used to be spam this tune in postgraduate school days.

I remember listening to a copy of their album down in the shacks where the satellites grow. I may have come to them as I liked 10,000 maniacs and a recommendation for them came via that route. I don't remember much about the album in all honesty. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I remember listening to a copy of their album down in the shacks where the satellites grow. I may have come to them as I liked 10,000 maniacs and a recommendation for them came via that route. I don't remember much about the album in all honesty. 

Well described! Yes, kind of that 10,000 thing. Sort of.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Xela said:

Let's please talk about Andy Bell's effortless, late-80s seaside style. The cinched belt on loose jeans, the unbuttoned dreamy-blue shirt with the rolled up sleeves, the double earrings (which were still a little mainstream-edgy back then) -- perfect. They did so much with so little by today's standards.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 14:32, Xann said:

Zaïko Langa Langa - 'Mizou'

Your taste in music just floors me. A Lingala soukous song and some experimental sound poems or something? Such a range of cool. Thanks for sharing.

On 03/03/2024 at 11:48, Marka Ragnos said:

Can't believe he shoved a knife into his own chest. Permanent solution to a temporary problem. Such a lovely artist lost.

There's a lot of doubt as to whether he really did kill himself.  The circumstances with his girlfriend, autopsy report, etc. give good reason to be skeptical.   Either way, a tragic loss.  The amount of fantastic music he created in a short time is astounding.   

• Thanks 1

Â