What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

On 30/03/2024 at 09:13, bickster said:

Seeing the Small Faces Tin Soldier reminded me it isn’t even the the best song with Tin Soldier in the title :crylaugh: 

(I like both songs btw)

I remember Charles Shaar Murray raving about Stiff Little Fingers' live gigs in the NME, back in the day; did you ever see them live?

57 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I remember Charles Shaar Murray raving about Stiff Little Fingers' live gigs in the NME, back in the day; did you ever see them live?

Yep, fairly incendiary, energy, passion and a crowd of people pogoing in time to music, saw them a couple of times at the Brum Odeon and recently went to see the current version (i.e. Jake Burns and some musicians) and he was still good value running through the hits

EDIT: thinking on, I probably saw them a few times in Liverpool at the Royal Court too (definitely the Bruce Foxton version at least twice)

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Yes, quite a few times and they were always fantastic.

Side note: At one of their shows I was stood at the back before the band came on, and none other than Stuart Pearce is standing next to me.

Me: "Alright Stuart?"
SP: "Yeah not bad"

At that point the band come on and he belts it down the front where he stays for the duration.

After the gig, he passes me by (looking a bit worse for wear) and says "enjoyed that" and **** off 😃

• Like 3

5 hours ago, blandy said:

Because I can’t stand the sound, basically. [I’m the same with Queen]. Also because it was played so many times on the radio when it was released. And it’s dreary and sad.

5 hours ago, bickster said:

Feckin awful song and here are just some of the reasons

• Jools Holland's boogie woogie piano
  • The video was shot in John Lennon's old house (where the Imagine video was also filmed)
  • Michelle Collins in the video
  • Cockney bollocks
  • Jools Holland's boogie woogie piano (there is only one song it’s acceptable on - re-recorded version of Uncertain Smile)
  • more cockney bollocks 

It's so funny to hear this. The way Squeeze was marketed in the USA was just so different and just very minimal, and not a soul -- not even music critics -- would have had recognized any of those objections. Love all this talk. Thank you for sharing. 

• Like 2

Yep, just to chime in on Squeeze, I didn’t like them but I’m not sure why.

I do like a song with a story a decent lyric, and they appear to be right up that witty english story telling genre I like. But somehow, I took against them. Thinking back, maybe I thought they were too clever and had a suspicion they were posh? Not that they were, but it’s a music I ‘should’ like. If I used a music leasing system I’d be pretty sure the algorithm would offer them up.

Side note: I had to sit through a Jools Holland gig to be able to say I’d seen Rico play. Which I did, so I saw Rico play, which was a fine tick to tick off albeit at a high price. I might have been the only person there that didn’t have a lightweight summer trilby on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Thinking back, maybe I thought they were too clever and had a suspicion they were posh? Not that they were, but it’s a music I ‘should’ like.

This is deeply interesting to me -- almost seems to prefigure the Oasis vs. Blur wars of the 90s. I felt the same about Radiohead, personally. I liked them until I felt like I was supposed to like them, and then I found them not only unlistenable, but almost physically painful to experience. 😉

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Rejoice! More new Les Savy Fav.  This is a song about getting bummed by the ghosts of The Rivingtons in the back of a spectral limousine.

• Like 1

A bit of balance to the Squeeze chat. I love labelled with love, they probably have 5 other songs that I would say the same about. But Jools Holland spoils everything. 

Disclaimer. I acknowledge that my music taste is at best a bit shit. 

9 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Squeeze chat. I love labelled with love

Oh, Jees. You’ve put something back in my memory that had been wiped. It’s even worse than the other ones, the Junction one and the Cats one. I curse you to the torment of having a fly refusing to get out of your campervan, for a length of time that is mildly annoying.  That’ll learn you.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Oh, Jees. You’ve put something back in my memory that had been wiped. It’s even worse than the other ones, the Junction one and the Cats one. I curse you to the torment of having a fly refusing to get out of your campervan, for a length of time that is mildly annoying.  That’ll learn you.

I can make no case for cool for cats though. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2024 at 16:38, Seat68 said:

A bit of balance to the Squeeze chat. I love labelled with love, they probably have 5 other songs that I would say the same about. But Jools Holland spoils everything. 

Disclaimer. I acknowledge that my music taste is at best a bit shit. 

What is about Jools Holland that rubs so many of you the wrong way? It's funny to me. Can't imagine giving a shit either way, but it's interesting to me -- some aspect of music culture I just totally don't get. Was he sort of overexposed in the UK?

24 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

What is about Jools Holland that rubs so many of you the wrong way? It's funny to me. Can't imagine giving a shit either way, but it's interesting to me -- some aspect of music culture I just totally don't get. Was he sort of overexposed in the UK?

It's difficult to explain, I guess a lot of it is over exposure and his boogie woogie piano farting over a lot of appearances on Later. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

It's difficult to explain, I guess a lot of it is over exposure and his boogie woogie piano farting over a lot of appearances on Later. 

Is there something about boogie woogie piano that grates with intelligent football supporters from the Midlands?

Â