• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Performances continue to improve - we're unbeaten in three - we're becoming watchable, but yet again we make it feel like a defeat by conceding late on.

First half we could and should have been further ahead, second half we looked the more likely scorers right up until we conceded.

If the last four games had lasted 84 minutes and not 94 - we'd be 7th.

and if we threw in Senderos and Vlaar into the defence, Delph in midfield and Benteke up front we'd be a much better team and could either kill off a game with a 2nd goal or hold out in defence. 

There is positives here. That's 3 of our last 4 games we would / should have won if we'd been defensively sounder. 

Edited by CVByrne

3 games in the last 4 now where we've been leading going into the last 10 minutes and dropped points. Getting really tired of it.

Would be different if we had confident experienced players like Senderos and Vlaar to see out these games. We don't which has been the problem in the recent two games

Sorry to be negative on Lambert mate. But it was still a loss how ever we played. Remember they had 2 off the bar....

I think individually there were some good perfomances - Cole was obviously excellent, particularly in the first half, but I thought Hutton was very good, Cissokho was reasonable, Gabby was good in the first half and Grealish was good when he came on. I also think that Cleverly was excellent today, worked his socks off and was at the heart of everything - he's had a really good couple of games.

Eventually we'll hold on and win one of these things, once we do I think the gains we make in confidence should see us okay.

• Like 2

I'm sure that people will be blaming Lambert for Okore's mistake. They're idiots. 

Possibly same people who've been giving him grief for not putting Grealish on - who gave ball away before pen.

It was Gabby who gave the ball away for their goal...

It was Richardson actually !

Pretty sure it was Gabby. He also did it a few other times in the last 10 minutes too

Unbeaten in 3 games, I don't think anyone can stop us now.

We really should have won that. Probably one of the best performances from a Villa player I've seen in a little while from Cole, I really thought he was that good. Should be a starter. Him and Benteke could really cause problems for teams. It's just annoying that we always seem to sit back once going a goal ahead, it's costing us. 

Despite the result it was a decent performance, we really need to beat Palace on Tuesday though.

I only saw a bit of the first half and the last 20 or so minutes. We looked decent in what I saw of the first half and comfortable in the second up until the penalty.

The problem with having gone on the kind of run that we have is that it becomes difficult to win games even if we are the better side/play the better football/create more chances.

It looked like we were trying to slow down the game so much in that last twenty that we believed it was the only way we were going to get the win.

When we did concede that goal, though, I think we needed someone (either on the touchline or on the pitch) to fire the side up. The camera showed Lambert sat on the bench looking rather resigned to what was happening/about to happen. Joe Cole looked like the only person from off the field who was trying to get them going again.

Maybe Lambert and any others were done a disservice by the snapshot from the TV pictures.

• Like 1

Performances continue to improve - we're unbeaten in three - we're becoming watchable, but yet again we make it feel like a defeat by conceding late on.

First half we could and should have been further ahead, second half we looked the more likely scorers right up until we conceded.

and if we threw in Senderos and Vlaar into the defence, Delph in midfield and Benteke up front we'd be a much better team and could either kill off a game with a 2nd goal or hold out in defence. 

There is positives here. That's 3 of our last 4 games we would / should have won if we'd been defensively sounder. 

Absolutely and what's more I think we're capable of doing it without them - we're really not far off being competitive at the moment and I think our biggest downfall right now is confidence.

• Like 3

3 draws on the bounce doesn't seem too bad in isolation. However, as it represents only 3 points taken from a possible 27 in our last 9 games it looks pretty crap. Our inability to score goals is costing us.

Agreed. I thought the starting eleven, formation and first 45 minutes were good. Losing key players and running out of ideas has cost us again. For anyone criticising negative posters after dropped points due to a defensive error, many negative posts in this thread will be largely due to the overall season, and I don't blame people for having that response.

What I find positive is that, even though we are in such shit form, we are still not in the relegation zone and we have a nice set of fixtures coming up, having already played the top 4. We will continue to pick up points from now on whilst the teams around us will inevitably fall back a bit due to tough fixtures.

I'm sure that people will be blaming Lambert for Okore's mistake. They're idiots. 

Possibly same people who've been giving him grief for not putting Grealish on - who gave ball away before pen.

It was Gabby who gave the ball away for their goal...

It was Richardson actually !

I don't think you are correct. 

Absolutely and what's more I think we're capable of doing it without them - we're really not far off being competitive at the moment and I think our biggest downfall right now is confidence.

Confidence has been the problem since Lambert put the youngsters only policy in place.

• Like 1

Guzan -       7  (made important saves and did nothing wrong bar his kicking)

Hutton -       8  (top class again)

Okore -       4   (just idiotic and cost us the game)

Clark  -       7   (looked strong and had a solid game)

Cissokho -  6   (got up and down well but no end product)

Sanchez -   5   (hit and miss, he is sooo dodgy)

Westwood - 8  (Had a great game and played some quality passes)

Cleverley  -  7  (linked well with midfield and attack)

Cole         -   9  (a different class to any of our forwards and created so much of our attacks)

Weimann  -  8  (lovely ball for the goal and had a good game)

Gabby      -  5  (should of had a goal and gave the ball away needlessly in the build up to the peno)

Grealish  -      6  (kept the ball well)

Richardson -  5  (ok)

Lambert  -  8  (tactics were spot on and if we had a decent striker we would of scored a few more)

Overall we got beaten by an individual error and should of been out of sight before Burnley got the peno. 

• Like 2

MOM = Ings. Scored more goals this season than the entire Villa team.

That's not true though.

The stat being quoted by the BBC is that SINCE THE START OF OCTOBER Danny Ings has scored more Premier League goals (4) than the entire Villa team (3). That's true, even though it is a tricksy sort of stat that gets stats a bad name.

Not enough quality in team

Starting 11 next game if fit

Guzan

Hutton vlaar senderos cissokho

Cleverly westwood Sanchez

Grealish benteke Cole

Grealish didn't do enough for me to deserve a start. Would rather see Wiemann in for him at the start of the game and then bring him on for Cole later in the game

Â