• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Just heartbreaking, probably the best football we've played all season in that first half.
Second half started shaky, but we seemed like we had things under control, certainly looked fairly comfortable until the penalty.

I thought Hutton, Clark, Cleverley, Weimann, Westwood and obviously Cole all looked good. Sanchez looks useful, but still too much dawdling and poor passes.
It was nice to see Grealish get on, and the substitution did really look like it was taking pressure off us to start with.

Felt Richardson was very poor when he came on, seemed to give the ball away a lot.
We really could've done with the three points here, Benteke back now and a win against Leicester is vital now IMO - we'll make it 3 months without a win if we don't get the three points next Sunday.

Edited by icouldtelltheworld

Terrible result. Sick of us sitting deep trying to protect leads. LAMBERT OUT. I'm so bored watching this sh** football

We didn't do this today. We really didn't. We were the more positive of the two sides and looked the more likely scorers right up until they scored - sure we went into our shells after they scored, but that's understandable given the blow to the confidence of the players. Tactically, we were looking to keep it tight but we were absolutely looking to win that game 2-0. People are letting the result affect the way they're seeing the game in my opinion.

We did play well today but it was only against Burnley, and that's not good enough if you don't get the result to match it. I don't see how it's "understandable" if they wilted after the goal. That's when you expect professional footballers to step up to the plate and try to regain the lead. Of course people are looking at the result. In the end, it's all that matters in our relegation battle. So well done Villa for doing some attacking for a change, badly done for allowing a late goal to spoil things.

Teams win and lose games ....individuals just contribute....i'm sure there were oodles of mistakes in that game, that had they had not made them we could of won....up front or in midfield....Okore is just been made a scapegoat.

• Like 1

This is the reason I find being 1 goal down far less stressful than being 1 goal up.

Totally. 1-0 to Aston Villa is my least favourite scoreline until second half stoppage time.

Still, with Benteke we could have been 3 or 4 up by the time they scored. His return will make a monumental difference, even if he doesn't score in every game. With Cole showing good form and some winnable fixtures coming up I think we'll be top of the no-hopers by January.

• Like 1

I think individually there were some good perfomances - Cole was obviously excellent, particularly in the first half, but I thought Hutton was very good, Cissokho was reasonable, Gabby was good in the first half and Grealish was good when he came on. I also think that Cleverly was excellent today, worked his socks off and was at the heart of everything - he's had a really good couple of games.

Eventually we'll hold on and win one of these things, once we do I think the gains we make in confidence should see us okay.

Agree with all of that. What I see is we are really not going to be in a relegation fight come March once we've our key players back and the team has got to gel and got some confidence. 

How come, (we have conceded to a relatively low team after leading for much of the match and end up hanging on for a draw) and many posters are resorting to the performance for solace.

These same posters who when we win and play badly resort to the result and pay no attention to the performance and say its all about the 3 points <_<

I call it selective viewing. :ph34r:

totally and utterly freakin fed up.always the freakin same with the villa.**** it,off to the pub to get hammered.i know he has supporters on here and i respect them for their opinions but for christ sake lambert feck off.

If the last four games had lasted 84 minutes and not 94 - we'd be 7th.

that can only be an indictment of the manager, imo. represented in technicolor by last weeks substitution of sanchez for bent to try and protect the lead  :blink:

That was a ridiculous penalty to give away at a time when we were in total control, and we fell apart after that.

Some very good play earlier in the game, I thought Cleverley linked up well with Cole and benefitted from having someone to pass to. I am a fan of Sanchez but he really needs to tighten up.

Three games undefeated, I'm classing that as a mini-revival.

Benteke would have been a beast today - we lacked a strong presence in the box and he'd have filled his boots !

Decent performance - albeit better first than second - and encouraging stuff at times from the likes of Cole, Sanchez and even Gabby ..... just need to see it every week now.

I will give Lambert some credit, he tried something different today and it worked up to a point. A lot more movement in the first half with Cole leading the charge. nd half we did the Lambert retreat and we were lucky to walk away with a point. Burnley had two great chances at the end and probably should have scored. Results matter in the end and if our run continues, we are going to have to have other teams perform worse than us for us to stay up. Last couple of weeks is the first time in his tenure that I truly believe we will get relegated.

I keep reading we will do better when X, Y, & Z return. I sadly don't see this. When they were playing we were just as bad and sometimes worse. None of those were playing today and we played one of our best performances. Saying that, this is against the worse team in the league who we were soon be passing.

• Like 1

How come, (we have conceded to a relatively low team after leading for much of the match and end up hanging on for a draw) and many posters are resorting to the performance for solace.

These same posters who when we win and play badly resort to the result and pay no attention to the performance and say its all about the 3 points <_<

It's no different to posters who complain about performance when we win but dismiss the performance now because we didn't win.

Well we've stopped the run of losses but really have to stop conceding so late on. A better performance but we have to now start turning the draws into victories.

Benteke will be a big addition against Palace

Edited by Ghost_of_Pongo_Waring
  • Like 3

Whilst we played very well in the first half (Cole was fantastic), you have to add the context that it was against Burnley after all.  There were promising signs but if we can't turn over one of our relegation battlers then I think we have big problems.  Admittedly, we have injuries and admittedly, we only conceded due to a mistake, but the fact remains we're still not good enough to beat those teams seemingly poorer than us.  I'm losing patience in Lambert fast.  Not because of today but because we just can't "turn it on" when it matters and can't close out the game (something I think he's lacking in his tactical nous).  We did that for the 1st half today but then seemingly went to pot.  I'm not calling for his head yet but there must be improvements and he must take what we saw in the first half today into the next game. 

• Like 1

Well my view is very simple and have repeated it often. We are a miles better team with Benteke in it. So all the games without him are damage limitation essentially. When he plays well the whole team is lifted. 

Â