• Poor
    • Very Poor
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Good
    • Good
    • Average
    • Poor
    • Very Poor

Many posters seem to be relying on Benteke to return and win all our games for us. What happens if he picks up another long injury?

Nice to be a 1 man team.

We may as well have anyone as manager if we can only expect to do something when one particular players is on the pitch.

109414.jpg

Liverpool + Suarez = Almost winning the league

Villa + Benteke = Just about scraping clear of relegation

I'd take being a one man team if it meant 2nd in the league.

Us as a one man team has led to 42 points and 38 points.

Not a one man team, but that the one man lifts the whole team so significantly.

We've added good players in the summer. Benteke lifting them means we'll be looking at 46 points+ imo

Benteke improves us.

Is it good enough though? The last two years would suggest not.

We're expecting a lot from one man, and again we might as well have anyone as manager if it's all down to benteke whether we do well or not.

We've added good players in the summer. Benteke lifting them means we'll be looking at 46 points+ imo

Benteke improves us.

We're expecting a lot from one man, and again we might as well have anyone as manager if it's all down to benteke whether we do well or not.

So people thinking the progress we've shown in the last few games should increase with one of our major players coming back and you twist it into "that it's just down to Benteke if we do well".  Where has anybody said that.

Benteke improves us.

So people thinking the progress we've shown in the last few games should increase with one of our major players coming back and you twist it into "that it's just down to Benteke if we do well". Where has anybody said that.

Well the attitude seems to be we can't expect to do anything without him.

And I haven't seen much progress the last few games. I've seen teams fail to take their chances, defending with 10 men in our half and a good 45 minute display against a team sure to be relegated.

Many posters seem to be relying on Benteke to return and win all our games for us. What happens if he picks up another long injury?

Nice to be a 1 man team.

We may as well have anyone as manager if we can only expect to do something when one particular players is on the pitch.

My point entirely. There is no way we should be in a position where our premier league survival is so dependant on the performance of a single player. If Benteke comes back and plays well it'll merely be papering over the cracks. And let's not forget that our tactic when he's fit is "hoof the ball to Tekkers in the hope that he'll be able to take on three defenders on his own and score a wonder goal out of nothing."

I will gladly take 'papering over the cracks' as long as we stay up. Its been an utter crap 4 years at VP. No ambition to improve, its simply an exercise of PL survival so Randy can trouser the Sky money AGAIN!

Top secret document found left behind at Turf Moor...

LambertTactics_zps2ef9e205.jpg

Oo so close to being funny. If it wasn't for the swipe at Lambert you'd have a like from me. It's very accurate but it's quite obviously not  'Paul Lambert Tactics' as anyone with a brain knows that it's not Lambert telling them to get tired. Would've been a lot funnier if you'd just called it 'Aston Villa Tactics'

Oo so close to being funny. If it wasn't for the swipe at Lambert you'd have a like from me. It's very accurate but it's quite obviously not 'Paul Lambert Tactics' as anyone with a brain knows that it's not Lambert telling them to get tired. Would've been a lot funnier if you'd just called it 'Aston Villa Tactics'
You think its just tiredness that has led to no 2nd half goals in the last 12 games?

Or if we're not fit enough to finish a game wouldn't that be something the manager should take responsibility for?

Edited by DCJonah

Oo so close to being funny. If it wasn't for the swipe at Lambert you'd have a like from me. It's very accurate but it's quite obviously not 'Paul Lambert Tactics' as anyone with a brain knows that it's not Lambert telling them to get tired. Would've been a lot funnier if you'd just called it 'Aston Villa Tactics'
You think its just tiredness that has led to no 2nd half goals in the last 12 games?

Or if we're not fit enough to finish a game wouldn't that be something the manager should take responsibility for?

Before coming out with the same old stuff, please read what you're replying to. It says 'get a bit tired' in the first post, not mine. I haven't said anything about tiredness leading to no 2nd half goals.

FWIW I think it's a pretty funny, accurate representation of our current plight. It's just quite obviously not solely down to Paul Lambert. There are 11 players on the pitch, and while he's got a big say in preparations, he doesn't actually kick the football during the match so the patterns we seem to get every week are a result of an array of factors, of which Lambert is a single one. While it's cool to blame Lambert for absolutely everything at the moment, there are some things he's not actually to blame for.

Lambert have now signed most of the players and coached the others in the squad for 2,5 seasons. He should and could be blamed for what the players do. He is picking and relying on Westwood who makes us lose the midfield around the 70th minute.

• Like 1

How come, (we have conceded to a relatively low team after leading for much of the match and end up hanging on for a draw) and many posters are resorting to the performance for solace.

These same posters who when we win and play badly resort to the result and pay no attention to the performance and say its all about the 3 points <_<

I call it selective viewing. :ph34r:

It happens the other way round too though doesn't it?

You have the posters who, when we win, say it doesn't matter because the performance was crap.

Then when we play well but don't win, they say it doesn't matter because we haven't won.

Both sides of the arguments are just shaping the situation to suit their argument. They're both as full of shit as each other.

Have not seen the game yet but feel we are close to some kind of decent form. Let's not forget Cole has not been fit. When he is, got a feeling he will start more games than he doesn't.

We are trying to stay in the toughest league with minimal investment. Personally, I like the fact we have stuck by the manager. I'm old fashioned in thinking that you should try to judge the manager on the whole season. Injuries have been ridiculous throughout his tenure as well as unprofessional assistants. Keane doesn't seem such a tough guy now eh?

I think when everyone is fit we are a top ten side but can anyone remember when we had a fully fit side? Despite his mistake today I think Okore is a huge prospect.

We, as Villa fans are naturally negative and critical. This is because we have high expectations due to a proud history. Many of us weren't satisfied with the O'Neill era, even though it is the most successful in recent memory. This is good because we should never just be satisfied. There should always be challenge and striving for the next step up.

Once Lerner decided to sell, I thought the club would begin to disintegrate. We are not adrift at the bottom so let's challenge and criticise but be grateful for what we have so far.

Unless of course we bring DiCanio in...

• Like 1

Sickening to be in complete control of the game and then give away a stupid penalty. We almost lost then, they really should've scored at one all.

Good performance before that though. Cole was class. Hutton was great again. Cleverley was really good too.

Didn't enjoy the "we want Lambert out" chanting after Burnley scored but i guess it's a fan's prerogative to vent their frustration. Didn't think today was the game to do it though, he had made a good substitution bringing Grealish on and he wasn't at fault for a moment of madness by Okore.

I thought Burnley was a decent away day, would go back.

• Like 3

Predicted a 0-0 or 1-1 draw so not surprised with the result.

It sounds like there were some improvements today with the main one being the performance of Joe Cole. Yet again though we don't see the game through in the second half.

Amazingly, we haven't scored a goal after the 50th minute of a competitive football match since 5th April of this year! One can only question our approach to games and question fitness in the second half!

Looking at the result today in a wider context:

We've now failed to win in 20 out of our last 24 matches.

We've now failed to score more than 1 goal in a game in 26 out of last 29 matches

Lambert has spent approximately 6 times the amount Burnley have on players since he was appointed - for that we have just 2 points more than them at present.

At any level that is not good enough.

Lambert out.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

Have not seen the game yet but feel we are close to some kind of decent form. Let's not forget Cole has not been fit. When he is, got a feeling he will start more games than he doesn't.

We are trying to stay in the toughest league with minimal investment. Personally, I like the fact we have stuck by the manager. I'm old fashioned in thinking that you should try to judge the manager on the whole season. Injuries have been ridiculous throughout his tenure as well as unprofessional assistants. Keane doesn't seem such a tough guy now eh?

I think when everyone is fit we are a top ten side but can anyone remember when we had a fully fit side? Despite his mistake today I think Okore is a huge prospect.

We, as Villa fans are naturally negative and critical. This is because we have high expectations due to a proud history. Many of us weren't satisfied with the O'Neill era, even though it is the most successful in recent memory. This is good because we should never just be satisfied. There should always be challenge and striving for the next step up.

Once Lerner decided to sell, I thought the club would begin to disintegrate. We are not adrift at the bottom so let's challenge and criticise but be grateful for what we have so far.

Come November \ December not many clubs will have all there players available - injuries should never be used as an excuse

A few weeks ago we were pretty close the full strength - no real upturn in results

A few weeks ago the excuse was we can't compete with Chelsea, Man City, etc - no we are playing lesser sides we are turning to injuries. so the conclusion if we have all our players fit, and are playing some of the leagues lesser lights, we might then win a few ? - that approach is a recipe for disaster

Cole was our best player. Cleverley had a decent game as well. Thought Weimann and Sanchez were very poor. We dominated periods of the game but once again conceded late on. 3 points in 27 just simply isn't good enough.

Come November \ December not many clubs will have all there players available - injuries should never be used as an excuse

I do agree that it shouldn't be used as an excuse, because the performances haven't been good enough regardless.

But I think its wrong to completely overlook injuries, especially given the context of who has had our injuries (our best players)

Seven outfielders for Southampton have played every game for them.

One outfielder has played every game for us. And that's cissokho.

It shouldn't be used to excuse everything that's wrong with our team. That's short sighted.

But, imo, dismissing it altogether is just as short sighted.

As usual, the reality is probably somewhere in between.

• Like 1

Â