Paul Lambert

limpid

At this stage though I'm less concerned about the quality of football and more interested in goals and results. Unfortunately this wouldn't be guaranteed by getting rid of Lambert either.

The mentality exhibited here is akin to me eating at a restaurant that continually serves up bad food but refusing to try any other restaurant on the basis that they might also serve up bad food.

That's a pretty flawed analogy. A restaurant is a lot different to a football club.

I'm kinda stunned you said that.... i would have thought it obvious,the principle was the point.

Ah yes, no other manager could do any better under the same circumstances.

Well done for not actually reading my post and instead just putting words into my mouth.

I must've read your post or I wouldn't have been able to state what was basically implied, be that intended or not.

Would you ever leave your job because it was the honourable thing to do? Not sure why people think people in professional sports think differently to anyone else with a job. Hell, they have even more reason to stay than 'normal' people since they have six-figure payoffs.

just saying how money/time has changed attitudes....some of us old un's would go if we are not wanted....thats the way we was brought up.

• Like 1

Well done for not actually reading my post and instead just putting words into my mouth.

I must've read your post or I wouldn't have been able to state what was basically implied, be that intended or not.

You can't have read my post properly then because that isn't what I implied at all.

At this stage though I'm less concerned about the quality of football and more interested in goals and results. Unfortunately this wouldn't be guaranteed by getting rid of Lambert either.

The mentality exhibited here is akin to me eating at a restaurant that continually serves up bad food but refusing to try any other restaurant on the basis that they might also serve up bad food.

That's a pretty flawed analogy. A restaurant is a lot different to a football club.

I'm kinda stunned you said that.... i would have thought it obvious,the principle was the point.

Of course the principle was obvious, but that doesn't mean it's a good analogy.

You can't have read my post properly then because that isn't what I implied at all.

thats subjective, but get your point.

If you are incapable of seeing how it reads like that then I can't help you any further.

I hate analogies.

When he left Celtic I wanted us to go for Neil Lennon, I didn't speak publicly about it though.

Moyes would be an obvious and logical step, done well at Everton on a shoe-string budget and unlikely to get a bigger gig.

Please god not another Scottish manager. Mcneill, TSM and Lambert. That's more than enough. More likely Moyes will be off to Germany or Holland methinks.

I hate analogies.

I love em, not trying to be argumentative by the way

If you are incapable of seeing how it reads like that then I can't help you any further.

How does it read like that then?

Edited by Mantis

I can't decide.

Whilst I'm not happy with the current situation, we started the season well. We've then lost to Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Everton - hardly a catastrophe.

Yes, QPR was dire and the stats don't make good reading, but I think we're also adapting to losing Delph.

Whilst I am not saying Lambert is absolutely faultless here - I can't help but feel it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the QPR result. 

I've voted to say keep him until January, but I have a feeling I will be one of the ones calling for his head come January (if he lasts until then). I just can't bring myself to call for his head for losing to 4 of last seasons top 5 (and beating the other). I think we'll have a better idea after Spurs, especially with it being a home game.

Had this been his first year, or had it happened only occasionally over two years, I'd totally agree.

It is the fact - or at least pretty weighty evidence - that we have been here, with all the same baad points and all the same mitigation, many times now, and we really cannot be said to have advanced.

• Like 1

When he left Celtic I wanted us to go for Neil Lennon, I didn't speak publicly about it though.

Moyes would be an obvious and logical step, done well at Everton on a shoe-string budget and unlikely to get a bigger gig.

Please god not another Scottish manager. Mcneill, TSM and Lambert. That's more than enough. More likely Moyes will be off to Germany or Holland methinks.

Moyes would actually be a decent appointment though under the current circumstances though (not that it's likely to happen).

@Mantis, you wrote, "I wouldn't be against getting rid of Lambert if we got new owners in who were willing to spend more."

Does that mean the only way we are going to improve is by spending? 

Do you feel that Lambert is getting the best out of the players we have? Do you not feel no other manager could do better with the players we have?

Edited by villianusa
  • Like 1

What on earth does the nationality have to do with it !!!!???

We need the same qualities we thought we had in lambo.....I certainly thought so anyway !

Long haul.

Overhaul.

Enterprising football

Transfer and youth savvy.

Motivational and inspirational

Ability to gain advantage over superior teams with systems and tactics.

And icing on the cake would be attacking fearless football.

I will take anyone that can deliver on most of those points.

From anywhere !

He will probable get some semblance of play from the team in the next 6/7 games after the shock of the little nightmare 5 games is finally banished from the system of the poor souls...its not every day you come up against teams who won't let you have the ball and are determined to win....its most unfair.

He will amble along and nick some points off a few teams who have had confidence nightmares like us and muster just enough points to stave off relegation.

close season arrives, fans flirt with ditching there season tickets, then mid season boredom kicks in and the memories of stale football fade with the positive thoughts that things will change for the better, new faces arrive, new broom and all that, only to be replaced by loss of form and a deterioration of their respective reputations just like the last batch.

.....and the cycle continues

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I can't decide.

Whilst I'm not happy with the current situation, we started the season well. We've then lost to Arsenal, Chelsea, City and Everton - hardly a catastrophe.

Yes, QPR was dire and the stats don't make good reading, but I think we're also adapting to losing Delph.

Whilst I am not saying Lambert is absolutely faultless here - I can't help but feel it's a bit of a knee jerk reaction to the QPR result. 

I've voted to say keep him until January, but I have a feeling I will be one of the ones calling for his head come January (if he lasts until then). I just can't bring myself to call for his head for losing to 4 of last seasons top 5 (and beating the other). I think we'll have a better idea after Spurs, especially with it being a home game.

Had this been his first year, or had it happened only occasionally over two years, I'd totally agree.

It is the fact - or at least pretty weighty evidence - that we have been here, with all the same baad points and all the same mitigation, many times now, and we really cannot be said to have advanced.

We always seem to be crippled by the loss of someone

Usually we can't defend unless Vlaar is playing, we can't score unless Benteke is playing and now our midfield can't exist without Delph or even Gabby.

Is our squad so painfully deficient that we can't cope with any injuries?

My thoughts are with Cleverly and Sanchez our midfield is better and with Senderos and Hutton our defence is a little better. But all the time we still have to rely on Lowton, Baker and Clark our defence will always be one injury from being dire again.

With Grealish not yet quite ready and Cole set to be confined to a few cameos by a million niggling injuries, we have no supply line and Weimann and Gabby have not show any form or ability to supply or even score goals in a long time.

Hutton seems our only outlet as Cissokho has stopped being affective going fwd (and defence also). Lowton didn't manage one decent cross into the box all game v QPR.

Lambert hates wide midfielders/wingers. Tonev was a vague hope that didn't work out. Albrighton in my opinion did ok, yes 90% of his crosses were poor, but at least he got a few good ones in per game and had pace. If we had a ready made replacement then i get why we let him go, but all we did was keep Gardener instead and then ship him off on loan. I thought Robinson would come in, he has been closer to the first team than Grealish and has a little more presence to him.

I don't want to look to January, as it feels we are always looking to the next transfer window to solve all our problems. But the squad as it stands under Lambert will send us down..

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

As others have said, if we're blaming the lack of Delph for not having a decent chance to score in 5 games, we're in big trouble. You have to be more resilient than that if you want to last in the Premier League.

Honestly i'd rather we throw everything forward for 90 minutes and try to play Benteke into form. If we concede we concede. Something tactically has to change.

@Mantis, you wrote, "I wouldn't be against getting rid of Lambert if we got new owners in who were willing to spend more."

Does that mean the only way we are going to improve is by spending? 

Do you feel that Lambert is getting the best out of the players we have? Do you not feel no other manager could do better with the players we have?

No, I just think a new owner that would be willing to spend more than Lerner would be able to attract better managers than somebody who was willing to continue the current spending restrictions.

No I don't and no I don't think no other manager could do better - I don't know where this perception comes from that I don't think any manager could do better. I've not once said or implied this. What I have said is that I'm not sure we would be able to get any of those managers that could do better than Lambert with the current ownership uncertainty and spending restrictions.

We are a long way from top 8 nowadays. If we sacked Lambert it's possible we could scrape into the top 10 again of course but that's hardly a mouthwatering prospect as even West Brom do that on occasions.

I can't say I agree with any of Richard's post a few pages back. What I do remember him saying a few weeks back is he thought our first 11/squad wasn't that much worse than Everton's. Now given one team is rapidly moving up the table and the other is plummeting surely Richard, unless you've changed your mind, Lambert is failing there.

I do actually agree with Mantis. Not often but certainly on the ownership point. Changing manager is just window dressing for me at this present time and anyway what faith do we have in Lerner to appoint a decent one given what he's come up with so far, it will be someone like Steve Clarke imo, that standard.

I'll say it again, for fresh direction, optimism, we need fresh investement and leadership from new owners.

Â